Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Last night someone attempted to steal my ST-2. See below videos from two different angles:

I'm pretty sure he was looking for a key to unlock my Disklok but can anybody explain how he got into the car? Does he have some sort of device that picks up the RFID signal from my key and that opens the car?

I have moved my OBD port and have a dummy port in its place as well as a Disklok but does anybody have any tips on how I can prevent these ****ers from entering my car so easily? I have also ordered an RFID protector case for my key in the hope it prevents anyone else from accessing my car so easily.

Any tip on how to prevent this happening again as well as explaining how he did it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Videos aren't working.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm assuming you submitted this to the police as well. Hope that scum gets his time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm assuming you submitted this to the police as well. Hope that scum gets his time
I have mate yes. Submitted footage and images to police station who are going to determine if they are of clear enough quality and if so they will add them to system for review by officers.

For what it's worth these are the images I sent: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Last week I had money stolen out of my car. I thought it was locked. After watchingyour video I did an internet search:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html?_r=0
Read this ^ Most likely the issue here. Your key isn't getting hacked, your car is getting a "boost" when the burglar tries to enter the car and instead of your car checking to see if your key is in his pocket, it is amplified to check to see if you key is within 50 feet. If it is (which since it was inside...it IS within 50 feet) then it unlocks. Super cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Read this ^ Most likely the issue here. Your key isn't getting hacked, your car is getting a "boost" when the burglar tries to enter the car and instead of your car checking to see if your key is in his pocket, it is amplified to check to see if you key is within 50 feet. If it is (which since it was inside...it IS within 50 feet) then it unlocks. Super cheap and easy to do.
Thanks for the info mate. Makes more sense now!

·
Registered
530 Posts

Is this device operable from a pocket? Does it just receive whatever signal is closest and amplify it? Because It doesn't appear that he is using anything with his hands

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Is this device operable from a pocket? Does it just receive whatever signal is closest and amplify it? Because It doesn't appear that he is using anything with his hands
Yeah I'm sure the device will work from his pocket if he is close enough. It just boosts whatever signals it receives. So when it receives a signal from the car searching for the key, it boosts the signal so it can find the key 50 feet away inside of the owners house.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
this makes me paranoid... i need to build a small Faraday cage for the shelf in the closet where i usually keep my keys anyways

·
Banned
7,049 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn't look like the thief was trying to steal a car. It looked like he was looking for phones/wallets that people left in their unlocked cars. He was hitting every car he passed and he checked the usual spots that people store valuables: center console and glove box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
This electronic hackery just makes me sick. I am temporarily using an aluminum pot w/lid for my keys. Don't forget your spare keys.

I tried explaining it to my wife and she looked at me like I was a conspiracy theorist. The concept is a bit abstract. The way I explained it was, my kids can unlock and open the car if I have the keys on me, if me, the kids and the car are all within 5 feet of each other. They grab the door, becoming like a small antennae boosting the signal to the keys in my pocket. My body mass in return boost the signal back to the car. So this hack device does the same thing, but has more power to find my keys within the house.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'll invest in a RFID case.
They've been doing this at my condo complex so much the police distributed rfid bags. I can park my car 40 feet away from my window and if my key isn't in that bag, you can just walk up to it and the car will unlock itself. You can't start it, but you can easily get into it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts