Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my mpg rises a lot quicker if I keep it in 5th gear when driving at a steady 60-65mph. I usually don't shift to 6th until I hit 70mph. I can keep the 60-65mph speed constant a lot easier if I keep it in 5th without opening the throttle as much as I would in 6th gear (shown by the vacuum numbers on the boost gauge on the Cobb AP). It looks like mpg is affected more by throttle opening as opposed to RPMs.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I noticed my mpg rises a lot quicker if I keep it in 5th gear when driving at a steady 60-65mph. I usually don't shift to 6th until I hit 70mph. I can keep the 60-65mph speed constant a lot easier if I keep it in 5th without opening the throttle as much as I would in 6th gear (shown by the vacuum numbers on the boost gauge on the Cobb AP). It looks like mpg is affected more by throttle opening as opposed to RPMs.

Thoughts?
I keep it in 5th if I'm not 70+ also. You get good mpg because higher rpm uses less fuel than slight boost does it seems. Sitting at -4psi 2.5krpm vs -7psi 3krpm uses more fuel from what I've gathered. Plus, I like hearing the exhaust :p

·
Registered
530 Posts
The area I live in is very curvy and hilly with various stretches of coasting type roads as well as the highways so I don't really have much of a standard as it's dependent on hill length and grade, but if I had to put a number on it, if I'm coasting at 45 and using only a tiny bit of throttle to keep me going, I might be in 6th, but I try to be at 50 or above. If I think the factory boost gauge might be getting close to budging, I'll downshift. The way I see it is as long as I'm not boosting, if Ford designed the car to tell me to shift based on the shift light it can't be that bad. Again, as long as I'm not boosting.

Reactions: CDB

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
WE HAVE A 6TH?! ... kidding

Reactions: CDB

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
The area I live in is very curvy and hilly with various stretches of coasting type roads as well as the highways so I don't really have much of a standard as it's dependent on hill length and grade, but if I had to put a number on it, if I'm coasting at 45 and using only a tiny bit of throttle to keep me going, I might be in 6th, but I try to be at 50 or above. If I think the factory boost gauge might be getting close to budging, I'll downshift. The way I see it is as long as I'm not boosting, if Ford designed the car to tell me to shift based on the shift light it can't be that bad. Again, as long as I'm not boosting.
Ford also has a sometimes interesting cruise control that'll hit a SLIGHT grade and throw 20psi of boost for a moment in 6th gear when it really only needed 1.5psi lol so I mean :rolleyes:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ford also has a sometimes interesting cruise control that'll hit a SLIGHT grade and throw 20psi of boost for a moment in 6th gear when it really only needed 1.5psi lol so I mean :rolleyes:
Also true haha

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
I use 6th for 50+

·
Registered
407 Posts
Usually around 45-50mph because I've been listening to the stupid green arrow thing but I was paging through the manual the other day and it actually has a page that tells you what speeds to shift at for maximum MPG and it is completely different than the ecomode green arrow thing soooo.......clearly they have no idea what gives you the best mpg or some moron just made some crap up haha.

The manual is anywhere from 5-15mph higher than when the green arrow comes on so i dont really know who to listen to anymore, but I'm currently experimenting with it and for my past 3 fill-ups I have been listening to the green arrows, I want to finish 4 fill-ups like this and then do 4 fill-ups using the owners manual method and see what works better. I have the same drive every single day and my weekend routes are more or less the same so the outcome should be fairly accurate, as accurate as can be using it as my DD anyway.

·
Registered
825 Posts
38 MPH is the bottom limit for 6th gear on a level surface with no plan to accelerate.
I usually hold off until 42mph
I am in 6th on all 45 mph roads..
And shift to 6th about 50-ish when coming in on a ramp to the freeway.
On the other hand I downshift to 3rd if I want to pass with boost..

I also get 34mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
if i'm putting around 45-50mph, as long as its above 1500 rpm and I'm not accelerating at low rpm's I will use 6th.
Getting up to highway speeds I usually go from 3rd to 6th or 4th to 6th at 70ish.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Im almost never under 70mph in 6th unless im coasting.. You guys must be getting excellent fuel mileage..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Never

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
If on the highway I shift into 6th at 55, I get the best mileage when I do so. If around town I'll even put it in 6th at 50...my car is tuned very well by Torrie and makes plenty of power to not lug even if I"m not in boost at all...but if I need to use the throttle at all at that point other than essentially coasting along, I'll downshift back into 5th if I know I"m gonna go + on boost even slightly. 23.5 mpg around town (shifting at 2k). 28 on the highway at 75 mph 26.5 mpg at 80 mph. If you aren't getting mileage like that, you might wanna consider finding a better tuner.
My car is completely stock with 200 miles on it. (2018) and i get 17mpg in the city. I've only filled up once but that looks ****ty to me lol. I shift when I see the shift light turn on too. I don't get it lol

·
Registered
825 Posts
The primary MPG KILLER in any MK3 Focus is stopping and starting. A lot of red lights, and stop signs are a total killer of MPG.
If you are doing a lot of stopping for lights and signs, then a heavy pedal to hit boost between.
Yeah, I can see 17mpg and consider that a good mpg for those situations.

I get 34mpg because I have indoor parking 70F plus in Winter, I am 2 blocks from a 50mph freeway
(never go anywhere except on the freeway) and drive 50mph.
I go to cruise as soon as I am on the freeway, and just go up to 55 in those areas which are 55. no 70mph freeway near my usual drive.

The few times I have to go to the East Side, which is all small crowded streets with endless lights. MY mpg drops to mid 20s.

It may seem like what do I own a ST for? Well I do sometimes hit 90 on the ramps if they are empty.. Mainly places no cop is waiting..
And I LOVE going around corners fast..
On cruise doing the speed limit in non-rush hour traffic I never ever have to brake until I am at the end of an off ramp.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I don't have that type of discipline ^^^^&

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I like stoppies!

Reactions: angrychair
1 - 20 of 49 Posts