Ford Focus ST Forum banner

At almost 90K miles, what bushings should I replace?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lijbu8 
#1 ·
I have done a few things to stiffen my ride, although I have not swapped out any of the bushings. For those of you who know far more than I do about the suspension and related parts, are there some bushings that I should replace? I get that my car doesn't have THAT many miles on it, but if there are some bushings that, when swapped out with something better, would make a noticeable difference, I'd like to know which ones would give me the best bang for my buck.

#2 ·
I have done a few things to stiffen my ride, although I have not swapped out any of the bushings. For those of you who know far more than I do about the suspension and related parts, are there some bushings that I should replace? I get that my car doesn't have THAT many miles on it, but if there are some bushings that, when swapped out with something better, would make a noticeable difference, I'd like to know which ones would give me the best bang for my buck.
I replaced all bushings on my old Camry front and rear with polyurethane. It did stiffen the car a bit. It seems to have more effect on the front lower control arms than the rear. If that’s what your plan is, I would shoot for the front control arms. There is some work involved, but it is pretty cheap. I have a bushings pressing kit that helped.

On my 2year old st I just had all shocks replaced under warranty(leaking). I also have a steeda 1” rear sway bar. I do feel the front end a lot softer than when the car was new, even with the new shocks/struts. I have 34,000mi now. I have a set of Bilstein b14(springs/shocks) in my garage, ready to be installed. Will be installing it next year.

To answer your question... best bang is sway bars/lowering springs. If you can install the front, you’ll notice much more bang than bushings.
If you want to feel better handling you would want shocks and struts in addition (not cheap). The stock ones are notorious to fail within a year(depending on your roads/driving habits). What upgrades did you do to your suspension so far?
How did the stock suspension last for you?
How are your roads/driving habits?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.