Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to install my redline goods armrest cover on my 2016 Focus ST. Does anyone know where the other screws are hidden. I have removed the two under the rubber caps, but there does not appear the be any others and it is still stuck tight. I didnt want to go all hulk strength on it because I was terrified of it breaking. Has anyone removed the armrest or installed a redline cover on a 2016.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sub'd, because I may do this someday myself.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I removed the center console to put in my eurospec cup holders but that did not require actually removing the armrest from the console. Looks like you got your answer tho....I love this forum. So many helpful folks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I removed the center console to put in my eurospec cup holders but that did not require actually removing the armrest from the console. Looks like you got your answer tho....I love this forum. So many helpful folks.
Did you find a thread to do this? My 2016 ST3 is not coming apart the same as the guides on here. Close, but I have had to remove some extra pieces (the climate control panel) and have had to really work to figure it out as the passenger airbag light had to come out first and the clips are so incredibly stiff. So scared I am going to break something.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Did you find a thread to do this? My 2016 ST3 is not coming apart the same as the guides on here. Close, but I have had to remove some extra pieces (the climate control panel) and have had to really work to figure it out as the passenger airbag light had to come out first and the clips are so incredibly stiff. So scared I am going to break something.
I used this thread. Message 64 is where CrosleyPop shows disassembly

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-spec-center-console-north-american-st-7.html

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Really struggling removing the leather. Does not seem to be much information beyond this thread. I have tried everything it seems on my 2015. Trying to pry those 6 (?) clips on the side free with a flathead screwdriver for hours, seems impossible. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Well after about 3-4 hours of struggling I FINALLY go the arm rest cover removed for the purposes of installing my redlinegoods product. I [email protected] as otherwise I may have never had any success, but really fealt like your post lacked specific instructions. Lets just say I tried everything until finally I got it to work.

Anyways I have made a video that hopefully illustrates the exact angle of attack required to undo those clips. Once they start coming undone the procedure is very simple and self explanatory. So hoping this saves somebody some frustration and that brings me some good karma.

As you will see I even broke 2 of the clips. Hoping super glue does the job. Otherwise 4 out of 6 should still hold steady. Not something that gets changed often I hope & now I know the technique there is not reason any more clips should ever get broke.

I can not stress enough how much I wish somebody posted a simple explanation like this video. The job is actually really simple, but it was the worst DIY job on this car for me yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well after about 3-4 hours of struggling I FINALLY go the arm rest cover removed for the purposes of installing my redlinegoods product. I [email protected] as otherwise I may have never had any success, but really fealt like your post lacked specific instructions. Lets just say I tried everything until finally I got it to work.

Anyways I have made a video that hopefully illustrates the exact angle of attack required to undo those clips. Once they start coming undone the procedure is very simple and self explanatory. So hoping this saves somebody some frustration and that brings me some good karma.

As you will see I even broke 2 of the clips. Hoping super glue does the job. Otherwise 4 out of 6 should still hold steady. Not something that gets changed often I hope & now I know the technique there is not reason any more clips should ever get broke.

I can not stress enough how much I wish somebody posted a simple explanation like this video. The job is actually really simple, but it was the worst DIY job on this car for me yet.
this angle doesn’t seem to be working at all for me. Am I missing something not in the video?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
this angle doesn’t seem to be working at all for me. Am I missing something not in the video?
I know its a terrible video. I get the occasional complaint on youtube lol. If the video was about professional video production I would have titled it that way.

Basically there are tabs that need to be manually pulled outwards (away from the centre of the console), and only way to get at them is from prying underneath. Once you start poking at those tabs from under you will quickly note the goal is to somehow get under & behind the tabs (the tough part) enough to pull them back even just slightly.

Then you have to repeat with all 6 tabs while somewhat maintaining upwards pressure so the tabs do not re-seat themselves.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts