Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much what the title says. I'm in STH, which allows for up to a 9" wide wheel, but I can't find anything.

·
Registered
700 Posts
18x9, yes.
17x 8.5, yes.
17x9, not that I've seen, but you might find a semi-custom job available.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure what the point would be to 17x9" when there aren't any 265s available in 17"?

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you choose to stick with a 17 inch wheel, then your limited to a 255 since there aren't any 200 tw EP tires in a 265, 17 inch variety. If you are trying to max out the tire allowance, then I would recommend going to an 18x9 on a 265/35.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I found a few 17 by 9s but they only come in a 30 or 35 offset. No idea what the weight was.I also saw a picture of a Focus ST with 17 by 9 s with 275's. The tire was definitely beyond the fender.

·
Registered
723 Posts
275s aren't legal for the class the OP is running in anyhow, but at a +35 or even worse a +30, without any negative camber, it wouldnt surprise me if those things stuck out way past the fender

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooh, I actually hadn't realized that there are no 265/40-17 200TW tires out there. I wouldn't have a problem with Federal RS-RR in a 255 width, as I hear that they run wide. I was looking for 17's to save money and possibly some weight. Will look for some 18's. I have an additional set of stock Premium wheels, 18x8, and may just max out some tires on those to save some money until I can either find a used set of 9" rims or save up the money for a new set.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Ooh, I actually hadn't realized that there are no 265/40-17 200TW tires out there. I wouldn't have a problem with Federal RS-RR in a 255 width, as I hear that they run wide. I was looking for 17's to save money and possibly some weight. Will look for some 18's. I have an additional set of stock Premium wheels, 18x8, and may just max out some tires on those to save some money until I can either find a used set of 9" rims or save up the money for a new set.

These are what I've been eyeballing. Pretty good deal for brand new rims at 17.8 lb a piece.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Compound is more important than width, and if you can budget it, go with a good compound, and obviously width next if you can swing both. The Federal 595 RSRRs are meh....I ran them a few years ago and the grip is equivalent to the old Hankook Ventus RS3 (old technology) with very little to no signs of when grip begins to let go.

It's a good tire for starters, but dont expect to be setting top time of day or be competitive at the national level (ask me how I know lol).

·
Registered
700 Posts
Titan 18x9 might or might not make clear the fender at 38mm offset, but is definitely one of the lightest choices

MRR Groundforce 18x9 weighs about 19 lbs

Forgestar F14 18x9 at 48mm offset will definitely fit under the fender, but might require a small spacer on the front to clear the struts/springs under full lock. But check Forgestar's site to see if other offsets are available.

Advanti Classe 88M 18x9 with 45mm offset are pretty ideal except they're HEAVY at 23+ lbs

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Compound is more important than width, and if you can budget it, go with a good compound, and obviously width next if you can swing both. The Federal 595 RSRRs are meh....I ran them a few years ago and the grip is equivalent to the old Hankook Ventus RS3 (old technology) with very little to no signs of when grip begins to let go.

It's a good tire for starters, but dont expect to be setting top time of day or be competitive at the national level (ask me how I know lol).
It's about money a this point. I wore out my Michelin PS4S's WAAAY too quickly for my tastes, so I'm looking for a cheap set to use for autocross, giving me more miles on my street tires. I need to get WAAAY better before I can think about FTD or being a competitor at Nationals.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gemery,
I appreciate the work you did for me, but those are all more than I would like to spend. I'm just trying to save wear and tear on my expensive street tires.

·
Registered
723 Posts
It's about money a this point. I wore out my Michelin PS4S's WAAAY too quickly for my tastes, so I'm looking for a cheap set to use for autocross, giving me more miles on my street tires. I need to get WAAAY better before I can think about FTD or being a competitor at Nationals.
If your wearing out the PS4Ss that quickly then the RSRRs aren't going to do you any favors with a starting tread depth of 7/10ths. If you have a dedicated second set of wheels and tires , I'm sure you will be fine but if you plan to use them for dual duty they probably wont last you that long.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I wore out my Michelin PS4S's WAAAY too quickly for my tastes, so I'm looking for a cheap set to use for autocross, giving me more miles on my street tires.
How quickly? I'm approaching 10,000 miles and have logged 79 runs on my PS4S used for street driving... they still have 70% tread depth, so I'm confident I'll reach 20,000 miles even with more autox runs. Biggest tip I can give you is to spray them with water between runs and understand that the louder the squeal, the more rubber is being removed.

Edit: and PS4S are happiest when ambient temp is below 60F... they'll wear faster if the weather is warmer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you choose to stick with a 17 inch wheel, then your limited to a 255 since there aren't any 200 tw EP tires in a 265, 17 inch variety. If you are trying to max out the tire allowance, then I would recommend going to an 18x9 on a 265/35.
You know the widest (best) wheel for a 255 tire is 10" wide, right? 8.5" is the bare minimum. So 9" is nowhere near too much wheel.

But per the OP, 9" doesn't have much selection in 9", especially in 17x9. You just about have to go the semi custom Forgestar or Team Dynamics route or redrilled wheels to get them in our bolt pattern. Both of which add cost.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You know the widest (best) wheel for a 255 tire is 10" wide, right? 8.5" is the bare minimum. So 9" is nowhere near too much wheel.

But per the OP, 9" doesn't have much selection in 9", especially in 17x9. You just about have to go the semi custom Forgestar or Team Dynamics route or redrilled wheels to get them in our bolt pattern. Both of which add cost.
I'm well aware of tire sizing and recomended minimum/max wheel widths. The OP is asking from an SCCA classing standpoint with regards to STH.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How quickly? I'm approaching 10,000 miles and have logged 79 runs on my PS4S used for street driving... they still have 70% tread depth, so I'm confident I'll reach 20,000 miles even with more autox runs. Biggest tip I can give you is to spray them with water between runs and understand that the louder the squeal, the more rubber is being removed.

Edit: and PS4S are happiest when ambient temp is below 60F... they'll wear faster if the weather is warmer.
I got almost 12,000 miles out of my first set. We don't see much below 60F around here, so kind of hard to control that. But you hit the real issue on the head. The louder they are squealing, the more rubber is going away. I'm working on trying to be a better driver and squeal less and not as loud, but it's a slow process. So between one or two autocrosses a month and much hoonage on the street, they didn't quite go 12,000 miles.
I'll do better on my new set, especially since I scored some super cheap 17x8 Konigs (previously owned, but not really used) and bought a set of autocross tires, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's. I hope I can get a year out of those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts