Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Apple music subscriber since day one. Spotify seems to be more and more peoples' go to source for music streaming and downloading. I'm asking people who have had Apple music and switched to Spotify if there is any difference in Library, Sound Quality or UI that would be worth jumping ship for?
Here in Canada subscription prices are the same @ $9.99/month so there is no cost savings to be had.

Give me a reason to stay with Apple or give me a reason to switch to Spotify......

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been an apple user since day one also. I have recently switched to amazon music and Spotify. I like both better than Apple Music. More selection, throughly mixed radio stations etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I've never had any issue with Spotify premium, and with the ability to specify download quality, I can find literally any song and download it while on Wi-Fi (use no data) in normal, high, or ultra quality and have it on demand in seconds. I've never used Apple Music, but having the experience I've had with Spotify I see 0 reason why Apple Music would be better at all. The ONLY way it would beat it would be by being cheaper per month...and it isn't...so Spotify.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used to be an avid Spotify user but when CarPlay came out I switched to Apple Music.

To be honest, you can't really go wrong either way, but I think the decision should come down to what devices are you using?

CarPlay -> Apple Music is more tied in than Spotify is, which still works fine on the platform
Alexa -> Spotify (zero support for Apple Music)

And that is just a few of the hardware-driven reasons why to choose one over the other, and since both have great trials, just sign up and try them yourself

/2 cents

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I used to be an avid Spotify user but when CarPlay came out I switched to Apple Music.

To be honest, you can't really go wrong either way, but I think the decision should come down to what devices are you using?

CarPlay -> Apple Music is more tied in than Spotify is, which still works fine on the platform
Alexa -> Spotify (zero support for Apple Music)

And that is just a few of the hardware-driven reasons why to choose one over the other, and since both have great trials, just sign up and try them yourself

/2 cents
The Carplay is a viable thing that could sway OP's opinion. So good point made there.

Another thing that Spotify is now implemented with is navigation app, Waze. Now you can partially control spotify without having to minimize your Waze navigation. And when you are on a police heavy highway running 10 over I get pretty nervous having Waze minimized, so that's a viable issue for me. I don't have Carplay so I mean that one doesn't help me as much.

Edit: I feel more and more applications are starting to implement Spotify though, so I must say I would expect thing to change down the line.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Since it's been brought up here, I might as well ask since I haven't found the answer elsewhere. Is Waze a Car Play supported app yet? And isn't spotify Car Play supported? I swear I've seen it's icon on my screen

·
Registered
87 Posts
No, Waze is not supported on CarPlay

Spotify is supported (and recently, Google Play music as well)

·
Registered
530 Posts
No, Waze is not supported on CarPlay

Spotify is supported (and recently, Google Play music as well)
Balls. I'd love to have waze on the screen because apple maps is trash. I have an air vent phone mount from my old car, but it doesn't fit these vents. I'm hesitant to get a dash mount because in addition to the radar detector and eventual access port, that's a lot of things sticking off my dash, BUT again, Apple Maps is trash

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Just to note, Apple Music is same $15 for 6 people

https://www.apple.com/apple-music/membership/

i had never seen the $5 for a student membership before, that's pretty neat
Spotify also has $5 a month for students. They are direct competitors, their prices are probably going to always match lol. Apple wouldn't just let them have the reigns and had to assert some dominance

Balls. I'd love to have waze on the screen because apple maps is trash. I have an air vent phone mount from my old car, but it doesn't fit these vents. I'm hesitant to get a dash mount because in addition to the radar detector and eventual access port, that's a lot of things sticking off my dash, BUT again, Apple Maps is trash
I agree, Apple Maps is awful. That has been a common meme topic I've seen on the internet, and my girlfriend hates it and also uses Waze on her iPhone 6s. She enjoys hazards and police and whatnot being marked though, it's just so much more helpful. I got a magnetic vent mount for 7 bucks on amazon my phone sticks right onto that goes into the vent to the right of my steering wheel. Works great.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Spotify also has $5 a month for students. They are direct competitors, their prices are probably going to always match lol. Apple wouldn't just let them have the reigns and had to assert some dominance

I agree, Apple Maps is awful. That has been a common meme topic I've seen on the internet, and my girlfriend hates it and also uses Waze on her iPhone 6s. She enjoys hazards and police and whatnot being marked though, it's just so much more helpful. I got a magnetic vent mount for 7 bucks on amazon my phone sticks right onto that goes into the vent to the right of my steering wheel. Works great.
Any chance you could link it? The one I have I got at Best Buy and there are spring clips that clip to the back of the vent vanes. Since our vent vanes are really long, it's proven to be really difficult and I haven't gotten it yet.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Any chance you could link it? The one I have I got at Best Buy and there are spring clips that clip to the back of the vent vanes. Since our vent vanes are really long, it's proven to be really difficult and I haven't gotten it yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0109JIQ0W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Occasionally the screw that holds the magnetic plate to the clip that goes into the vents comes loose and your phone/the plate will rotate. You can retighten it and it's good as new. This doesn't happen often. I'm talking after daily use and abuse over the course of months. I've tightened mine twice in a year and I use it daily and just throw my phone onto it. When you have both your hands on the wheel you can't see your phone screen if you have it in the right vent, but that isn't an issue to me because if I need to look at it, Waze broadcasts directions and I can just move my arm to look at it or I drive with one hand lol.

Edit: The mount comes with 2 metal plates that you attach inside of your phone case...if you do not have a phone case then your phone itself will probably stick to it without the metal plate. Or you can attach it to your phone...but that looks weird.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use this mount, fits our vents just fine, I put it on the passenger side middle vent

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZLPJ10Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was actually using Sync's navigation last night and it was pretty accurate

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I was actually using Sync's navigation last night and it was pretty accurate

The new Sync is way better than the old Sync, the issue with it isn't the navigation. The navigation is great! The issue people have is the voice controls and inputting where you are going. The whole "point of interest, category, street, *input street*, etc" garbage sucks. Sync 3 is much better I hear. On my car I can't just hit the voice button and say "take me to 1234 main street, town, state" which I think I should be able to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts