Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In G-Street class what are some non performance mods that are allowed. I am thinking of doing the DIY grill mod but I can wait if it puts me in Street Touring class.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
if you are talking about shaving the grill or removing the grill slats, neither are legal in GS. Your local region may not care. i know in my local region ive seen novices squeek by with fmic's/tune and run in GS....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you are talking about shaving the grill or removing the grill slats, neither are legal in GS. Your local region may not care. i know in my local region ive seen novices squeek by with fmic's/tune and run in GS....
What class would shaving the grill be legal in? I plan on moving up to STX sometime next year probably. If not I'll wait till I move to Street Prepared after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i dont know if shaving the grill is legal in any street/street touring class, which is why i havent done jack for appearance mods. For SCCA ruling, it usually follows the, if it isnt stated, then it isnt legal.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it says convenience and appearance mods that do not effect performance are allowed. I could easily see how someone could say makes the car perform better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
i dont know if shaving the grill is legal in any street/street touring class, which is why i havent done jack for appearance mods. For SCCA ruling, it usually follows the, if it isnt stated, then it isnt legal.
Actually, it's specifically stated that if they don't list it then it's not allowed.

Section 13.1 - AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
"If a modification is not specifically authorized in this or previous Sections of these Rules, it is not allowed."

And furthermore:
13.2 BODYWORK
A. Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort and convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted. This does not allow driver’s seat substitutions, or the removal of “tow hooks” or “tie-down loops”. Delayed shutdown devices such as the “Turbo Timer,” which perform no function while the car is in motion, are permitted. This does permit the installation of an additional mirror (e.g., Wink®), but does not allow the removal of the original mirror.

Annnnd...
13.10 ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN
A. The engine air filter element may be removed or replaced provided the air flow path remains as originally designed (i.e., no additional openings). No other components of the air induction system may be removed, replaced, or modified.

It would be hard to argue that you're not reducing the weight of the car by shaving the grill. It would also be hard to argue that you're not altering the original air flow path.

You could make the argument that it shouldn't matter much at local level events, but that argument works both ways - i.e. if it's just a local event, then who cares if you're not in GS? Just mod the car however you like and run SM/SMF/DSP/STX.

PS, I bolded the part about the mirror to point out that they're generally not ok with removing things, even if it doesn't affect performance or weight because it's been effectively replaced by an upgrade. They don't like leaving a lot of room for interpretation. We're not even allowed to remove the plug in the K&N air filter, because that would affect the original path of air flow.

·
Registered
194 Posts
To actually answer your question about which class shaving the grill would put you in, I believe you'd be SM/SMF. I'm basing this on how I'm reading point O from 16.1 ALLOWED MODIFICATIONS

"O. Any minor modification, intended to allow or facilitate any allowed modification, is permitted as long as it does not provide any intrinsic performance benefit in and of itself, does not provide a weight reduction of more than 1.0 lb., and is not explicitly prohibited elsewhere within these rules. This rule is intended to allow minor notching, bending, clearancing, grinding; the drilling of holes; affixing, relocating, or strengthening of brackets; removal of small parts, and similar operations performed in order to facilitate the installation of allowed parts or modifications. Minor strengthening, without relocation, of original chassis/suspension pickup points is allowed. Examples include welding washers restricting control arm mounting."

Though... on second thought... that last bit about "This rule is intended to allow..." really makes it sound like they just want you to be able to install things and make it work. That's not what you're doing with the grill shaving. You're doing it for aesthetics, and the only aesthetic things they've been allowing have been OEM produced upgrades or commercially available aftermarket parts. Honestly you're probably best off just leaving it alone.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I suppose you could install a bigger intercooler, one that sticks out so much you have to shave the grill. Or a CAI? Still not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Found it!

17.2 BODYWORK AND STRUCTURE

G. Bumper components not integral to the bodywork may be modified, substituted with a replica of alternate material, or removed provided all projecting hardware is also removed. Bumper bracket holes in the bodywork may be covered provided such covering serves no other purpose. Bumper fascias integral with the bodywork may be modified or substituted with a replica of alternate material. Internal bumper components may be removed, replaced, or modified. Modified or replica bumpers/fascias must be of similar shape as standard components, completely cover the area of the OE bumper/fascia, and not confuse the identity of the vehicle.

You would be in Prepared. Not Street Prepared - Prepared. I believe X Prepared to be exact. That seems to be the first level that doesn't disallow arbitrary body modifications.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found it!

17.2 BODYWORK AND STRUCTURE

G. Bumper components not integral to the bodywork may be modified, substituted with a replica of alternate material, or removed provided all projecting hardware is also removed. Bumper bracket holes in the bodywork may be covered provided such covering serves no other purpose. Bumper fascias integral with the bodywork may be modified or substituted with a replica of alternate material. Internal bumper components may be removed, replaced, or modified. Modified or replica bumpers/fascias must be of similar shape as standard components, completely cover the area of the OE bumper/fascia, and not confuse the identity of the vehicle.

You would be in Prepared. Not Street Prepared - Prepared. I believe X Prepared to be exact. That seems to be the first level that doesn't disallow arbitrary body modifications.
Yeah I have zero intentions to ever be in X-Prpared. D-Street Prepared is where I feel I will end up in a season or to. Go from GS, to STX then DSP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts