Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New ST owner here and I just got my 1k oil change at the dealer I bought the car at because it was free. I'm now planning my next oil changes/tire rotations. It looks like a Quick Lane is basically a rebranded Ford dealership service center that can work on cars that aren't only Fords. So are these things just Ford service centers or am I way off here? Anyone ever use one? They seem to be offering a pretty good deal in my area (Los Angeles) for "the works" which includes a the recommended "synthetic blend" oil change using OEM parts and tire rotation for $39.95.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts
Hello,

New ST owner here and I just got my 1k oil change at the dealer I bought the car at because it was free. I'm now planning my next oil changes/tire rotations. It looks like a Quick Lane is basically a rebranded Ford dealership service center that can work on cars that aren't only Fords. So are these things just Ford service centers or am I way off here? Anyone ever use one? They seem to be offering a pretty good deal in my area (Los Angeles) for "the works" which includes a the recommended "synthetic blend" oil change using OEM parts and tire rotation for $39.95.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Just make sure they use the correct weight and amount of oil.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Also make sure that the "technician" doesn't take your car for a test drive after the oil change; there is absolutely no reason for them to drive the car further than from the entrance to the lube bay and then to the parking area. Had the same deal when I bought my car so I go in for a "free" service after having the car for a while. Having already purchased an AccessPort I put the car in valet mode and pocketed the device and the OBD connector. Come back to get the car later to be informed that my car had something wrong with it because it would not rev over 3000 rpm or go more than 30 mph. I asked why would you need to rev the engine over 3000 rpm or drive faster than 30 mph to complete an oil change...funny looks and no answers, so I asked for a manager. The manager had no answers either; I have done all of my own service since.

Reactions: SteelGatorB8

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts

Yes, this! ^^^^
As for me, I do my own rotations and oil changes. I’d only use the dealership (i.e.- Quick Lane) as a last resort. Don’t even like them for warranty work. But sometimes, you know you have too.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hello,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
As long as they use the correct oil and qty (5.7 quarts) it doesn't really matter. I would highly suggest full synthetic though. I won't get into the never-ending debate of which syn oil is the "best", but Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil1, Amosil are popular around here. Any of the top tier syn oils will be much better than conventional or blend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well geeze...I just double checked the paperwork from the dealership and it looks like they used 5w-20 which apparently is "OK" based on the supplemental manual. What's not OK is that they probably didn't put enough. See my attachment...where they put 5 (not sure if its liters or quarts or what...but it's less than the 5.7qts). I just ran out to my car and checked it and it's barely on the dipstick. My car has been sitting for like 5 hours since I last drove it so don't know how much that'll throw it off so I'll have to check again after I've run the engine for awhile and then let is rest for 10 mins.

Options:
1. run to autozone and get some 5w-20 and top if off
2. run to autozone and get some 5w-30 and top it off
3. go to a legit shop and get a real oil change with real synthetic

Thanks...I'm pretty pissed at them, but also mad at myself for not checking. I just assumed when the little sticker they put on the windshield says they 5w-30 on it, they did it and put in the right amount. To be fair, it might be the right amount after I check it after the engine is warmed up...but I doubt it seeing how low it is now when the car is cold. Capture.JPG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Man...you're totally right...looks like even the dealership doesn't care enough to do it right. See my post about them using the wrong weight and amount.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Well geeze...I just double checked the paperwork from the dealership and it looks like they used 5w-20 which apparently is "OK" based on the supplemental manual. What's not OK is that they probably didn't put enough. See my attachment...where they put 5 (not sure if its liters or quarts or what...but it's less than the 5.7qts). I just ran out to my car and checked it and it's barely on the dipstick. My car has been sitting for like 5 hours since I last drove it so don't know how much that'll throw it off so I'll have to check again after I've run the engine for awhile and then let is rest for 10 mins.

Options:
1. run to autozone and get some 5w-20 and top if off
2. run to autozone and get some 5w-30 and top it off
3. go to a legit shop and get a real oil change with real synthetic

Thanks...I'm pretty pissed at them, but also mad at myself for not checking. I just assumed when the little sticker they put on the windshield says they 5w-30 on it, they did it and put in the right amount. To be fair, it might be the right amount after I check it after the engine is warmed up...but I doubt it seeing how low it is now when the car is cold. View attachment 305626
5w-20 is the recommended oil for the naturally aspirated Focus and it looks like they kind of split the difference on the amount they put in. I believe the regular Focus takes 4 quarts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5w-20 is the recommended oil for the naturally aspirated Focus and it looks like they kind of split the difference on the amount they put in. I believe the regular Focus takes 4 quarts?
Do you have any thoughts on what I should do? Option 1, 2, 3? Also is it weird that the supplemental manual says it's ok for 5w-20?

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Do you have any thoughts on what I should do? Option 1, 2, 3? Also is it weird that the supplemental manual says it's ok for 5w-20?
I would find out for sure what weight oil they used and top it off; 5w-20 is fine in cold weather as it will flow a bit better, and truthfully topping it off with 5w-30 would not hurt it either. And, option 3 for the future.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The last option you can do is buy your own oil and filter and let quick lane do the oil change only for about $18. For me, I go with Amsoil or Mobil 1 full syn and FL400s filter that holds 6 quarts instead of 5.7.

I've had way too many bad experiences with Quick Lane, but I let a friend do my oil changes who works at a quick lane. He knows literally to only change the oil and filter and leave everything else alone. I'm lazy and also don't like changing oil when it's below 0 out...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would find out for sure what weight oil they used and top it off; 5w-20 is fine in cold weather as it will flow a bit better, and truthfully topping it off with 5w-30 would not hurt it either. And, option 3 for the future.
Thanks man! Appreciate it. Will pick some up on the way home...and it's 5w-20 for sure...as the guy said that's what they put on the receipt write up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last option you can do is buy your own oil and filter and let quick lane do the oil change only for about $18. For me, I go with Amsoil or Mobil 1 full syn and FL400s filter that holds 6 quarts instead of 5.7.

I've had way too many bad experiences with Quick Lane, but I let a friend do my oil changes who works at a quick lane. He knows literally to only change the oil and filter and leave everything else alone. I'm lazy and also don't like changing oil when it's below 0 out...
Yes - there's a shop that I really trust that I'd normally go to, but they charge a bit more than Quick Lane. I really like your idea of just bringing the products so you know what's going on in your car. Thank you!

·
Registered
113 Posts
The last option you can do is buy your own oil and filter and let quick lane do the oil change only for about $18. For me, I go with Amsoil or Mobil 1 full syn
This...
I buy my Mobil 1 Syn at Costco when its on sale (6qts for 24.00ish), then amazon for the filter (4.00), then take to quicklane and have them change it for me, its 15.00 on the nose for the work. By far the cheapest way to get a Synthetic change, unless i did it myself... but im in an apartment, not a great place to change it myself

·
Registered
593 Posts
This...
I buy my Mobil 1 Syn at Costco when its on sale (6qts for 24.00ish), then amazon for the filter (4.00), then take to quicklane and have them change it for me, its 15.00 on the nose for the work. By far the cheapest way to get a Synthetic change, unless i did it myself... but im in an apartment, not a great place to change it myself
Costco?!? I didn't even think about that. On amazon it's even more expensive than that. I'm about to find the deal and stock up!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Costco?!? I didn't even think about that. On amazon it's even more expensive than that. I'm about to find the deal and stock up!
Keep your eye out for sure, it goes on sale frequently - 5w-30SYN

Reactions: Ginger_snaps4

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey I work for a quick lane and most of the people I work with are all big car people and love sport cars like for an example one of them have a 16 sti but I will have to say with some of your guys problems where, it seems like the writer just thought it was a bace focus which gets 4 1/2 quarts so that's what they write it up as and I don't know about your guys quick lane but mine has free top offs and free checks on your car will even fill up your oil if your low for free. But I guess it just depends on where u are I guess but I would at less try near you and see if u like it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts