Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a seat Ladies and Gentleman, warranty school is in session!

I know I have given most, if not all of this information at some point somewhere on this forum but I would like to put it out all out there in one place. So please, if anyone mentions warranty anything, direct them here.

I encourage all to read this in its entirety but keep in mind that this is a light hearted post. It is not intended to sound harsh or call anyone out.

** Voiding a Warranty VS. Repair not covered under Warranty**

Yes, in fact there is a difference. We’ll start with a voided warranty.

A voided warranty can occur for several reasons including modifications, customer abuse, environmental factors, etc. For example, if the engine locks up because of a flood or all the modules are fried because the vehicle is hit by lighting, the insurance company is going to cover the cost of the repairs. The dealer has the option to void the warranty because the vehicle may produce unexpected symptoms due to whatever environmental force has damaged the car.
Modifications, as we all know is a touchy warranty topic. I will touch on this more later in the post but for the sake of an example, I’ll throw it out there. Say you have the typical modifications such as an intercooler, tune, downpipe, etc. Pistons melt and the turbo grenades, well it’s probably from the aftermarket components. If the dealer can prove the modifications caused the damage, it will not be warranty. The dealer then has the option to void the warranty on the engine.

Customer abuse, things like curb rash, drag strip numbering stickers, tire fragments on the paint, etc. are signs of customer abuse. Voided warranties are rare and the dealer does not just decide when it wants to void a warranty and it’s final. They have to prove the reasoning behind voiding it, provide supporting documentation/images and submit an application to Ford. The application is then reviewed and then approved or denied.

One other thing to note is that a warranty can be voided on a specific component without affecting the warranty on the entire vehicle. If a transmission implodes to due engine and shift linkage modifications, the dealer has to prove that they caused the damage. If they don’t, they may replace the transmission under warranty but apply to void the warranty for the transmission specifically.

Of course there is a lot of if then’s and what have you’s, but that is the basics of a voided warranty.

Let’s move on to a repair that is not covered under warranty.

This is a little more specific and can apply to a lot of things. Say you live down a dirt drive way and you get some rock chips on the front bumper. Sure the dealer will repair it, but you are paying for it since it’s not a defect. But that doesn’t mean that the rear bumper can’t be repaired due to wear spots from a misaligned hatch.

Same goes for powertrain, you have an aftermarket intake that contaminates your IAT sensor, customer pay. I am sure I could come up with lots of examples for this but just because a repair is not covered under warranty does not mean it will void your warranty. Just keep in mind that a repair under warranty does not mean a voided warranty. I said that twice on purpose, it’s important You can imagine the grey area but I do notice the terms interchanged incorrectly often.

**Does the presence of an aftermarket component automatically mean the repair is not covered? **

Absolutely not.

The dealer has to prove that the aftermarket component is the root cause of the damage. This is very important to remember, what is the ROOT CAUSE. If the dealer cannot prove that the aftermarket component caused the damage, there is no reason that the repair should not be covered under warranty. Cat back exhaust won’t cause injectors to fail, an air filter will not cause a PCM to lose communication. I could go on, but I am sure you get the idea. What failed and what caused it to fail.

** I want to modify my vehicle but not affect my warranty, what company should I go with? **

This one is my favorite.

The truth is, there is no aftermarket component that will not affect your warranty if it is the root cause. It does not matter if it is Mountune, Roush, Ford Racing, etc. If it is the root cause, it is not covered under warranty. Period. This is clearly stated in the Ford Warranty and Policy manual. So it does not matter what component or what company, root cause rules all.

Now there are some companies that work closely with Ford including Ford Performance (obviously) and Mountune. So it is easier for dealers to work with companies such as this to determine if the component failed and is the root cause of the damage. Also, there may be a warranty through the company if the part caused damage.

This does not mean that you are immune from not being covered under warranty from the dealer stand point. It just means that some companies have your back more than others if their aftermarket component damaged your vehicle. The dealer can say it’s not warrantable even if it’s a Ford Performance part.

I have a feeling that someone is going to post a PDF of a Ford Performance or Mountune part that states that there is a warranty. Just for clarification, this is a warranty for the part (if found to be the root cause) and collateral damage. It does not mean that the dealer has to repair anything under warranty because it’s Mountune or Ford Performance.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how the dealer handles the situation.

If anyone has information to add or have questions/ want to contest some of the information, feel free to reply.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good read here. :)

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
This should be a sticky!!!! A lot of threads have turned into these warranty arguments lol.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure what a sticky is but I just wanted to clear things up. lol Kinda once and for all sorta thing.

Obviously things change and there maybe someone that knows more than me.

But this is what I know. Hopefully it is useful.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Everyone should read this before they say, will blank void my warranty. Thanks for the post, learned a few things.

Sent from the pocket internets

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
I am not sure what a sticky is but I just wanted to clear things up. lol Kinda once and for all sorta thing.

Obviously things change and there maybe someone that knows more than me.

But this is what I know. Hopefully it is useful.
A moderator can sticky a thread to keep it at the top of all threads

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't be against that.

I think this information would help a lot of people.

Probably would need a different title to be a sticky though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey I removed my resonator, will that void my warranty?

..j/k, that was very informative. Thanks for the write-up!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
copy and paste this anytime someone asks another warranty question of "will this void my warranty?"

Reactions: Rule1 and tpiechow

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Warranty? What's that?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Great job. Sticky this and refer anyone who ask a warranty question or starts a thread about a warranty to this.

/thread

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do I sticky this or does one of the moderators have to do it?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is that something I can apply for, or do they have to read and decide?

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
If your worried about warranty just dont mod. Wait tell its over then mod away.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Reactions: tpiechow

·
Registered
326 Posts
This reminded me that I should go cancel my ESP

1 - 20 of 86 Posts