Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have the tires rubbing on the locking collar? I’m on the stock premium wheels also and I’ve read around the forums that only a 25mm spacer would work. Personal preference, I just didn’t like the poke I saw from the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have that issue with my snowflakes running 245/40 RE71r's and the spring perch on my YCW References. I'm going to just add a 5mm spacer since it was just barely rubbing (and the snowflakes have my autocross tires, so they aren't on all of the time).

The issue with running the 15mm or 20mm spacers on the premium wheels is the pockets on the back of the wheel isn't deep enough to allow the actual stud to go in far enough (see the thread below). You should be able to run a 5mm spacer on the premiums, if that would be enough to solve your problem.

https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-wheels-tires/42720-spacers-2015-premium-wheels.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have that issue with my snowflakes running 245/40 RE71r's and the spring perch on my YCW References. I'm going to just add a 5mm spacer since it was just barely rubbing (and the snowflakes have my autocross tires, so they aren't on all of the time).

The issue with running the 15mm or 20mm spacers on the premium wheels is the pockets on the back of the wheel isn't deep enough to allow the actual stud to go in far enough (see the thread below). You should be able to run a 5mm spacer on the premiums, if that would be enough to solve your problem.

https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-wheels-tires/42720-spacers-2015-premium-wheels.html
I think a 5mm would be fine. Just so that way I can clear it for now. How would a 5mm fit though? I thought anything under 25mm is useless for the premiums?

I’m also guessing if it go up to a 245/40 and a 18x8.5 wheel it’ll just rub harder?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think a 5mm would be fine. Just so that way I can clear it for now. How would a 5mm fit though? I thought anything under 25mm is useless for the premiums?

I’m also guessing if it go up to a 245/40 and a 18x8.5 wheel it’ll just rub harder?

The issue with spacers on the premiums is when they bolt on. The portion of the original stud that extends through the spacer has trouble fitting in the pocket on the back side of the premium wheels, as shown in the thread I linked. If you just run a 5mm spacer that doesn't bolt on, you shouldn't have any issue as you are still using the original studs. Also, whether the tire/wheel rubs depends on the offset of the wheel. My 18"x8.5" ET47 wheels with 245/40R18 tires don't rub on my spring perch, just the higher offset and narrower snowflakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue with spacers on the premiums is when they bolt on. The portion of the original stud that extends through the spacer has trouble fitting in the pocket on the back side of the premium wheels, as shown in the thread I linked. If you just run a 5mm spacer that doesn't bolt on, you shouldn't have any issue as you are still using the original studs. Also, whether the tire/wheel rubs depends on the offset of the wheel. My 18"x8.5" ET47 wheels with 245/40R18 tires don't rub on my spring perch, just the higher offset and narrower snowflakes.
Oh the wheels I’m probably planning to get are the Option Lab wheels. Same sizing as what you’re running but with a +40 Offset I believe.

I really appreciate your insight. It gives me hope that I’ll actually be able to have the suspension clear

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh last question sorry. For your aftermarket wheels you’re not running any spacers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is correct, I am not running any spacers on my Emotions. And you should be just fine with the +40mm offset as that will push them further out than my +47mm offset.
Alright sounds awesome. The H&R 5mm spacer should be good enough for now. They do come with the extended studs though. You think it’ll be fine just running it with the stock studs?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Alright sounds awesome. The H&R 5mm spacer should be good enough for now. They do come with the extended studs though. You think it’ll be fine just running it with the stock studs?

Yeah, 5mm spacers are fine with the stock studs from what I have read.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts