Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently stage 3 and have a stratified tune and freektune, but I've read some great things about JST so I'm wondering if it's worth it to purchase their tune if I already have two others.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I'm currently stage 3 and have a stratified tune and freektune, but I've read some great things about JST so I'm wondering if it's worth it to purchase their tune if I already have two others.
I mean realistically, it's your money your car. However, the gains from each one are already rather slim. Yeah one might give you more mid range torque or more torque specifically at 2500rpm or something, but they aren't going to be much different for the price you'll pay changing them. I will say that all three of those tuners will give you strong, safe power. Personal preference for the rest.

If you need to go over the pricing see my latest post on the subject: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ur-car-what-your-options-look-no-further.html :cool:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
OP, Brian is right jumping around especially with the stock turbo won't help you but burn up money in your pocket.

If it's about response time then a change might be warranted. If what you really want is a serious bump in power, upgrade the turbo and there is no dancing around that. Much cheaper than taking a hit on your bottom line to get a RS or Mustang GT.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My plan is to get JST this spring or summer, and it's based mainly on their lifetime revisions. I can go to them and get seasonal revisions and that will be useful as carbon buildup increases to make sure I'm not blowing up. It allows me to be picky like maybe fine tune pops and crackles. I also like them because they published 2 street tuned stage 2 ST's and both had very respectable numbers.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
OP, Brian is right jumping around especially with the stock turbo won't help you but burn up money in your pocket.

If it's about response time then a change might be warranted. If what you really want is a serious bump in power, upgrade the turbo and there is no dancing around that. Much cheaper than taking a hit on your bottom line to get a RS or Mustang GT.
I guess by ignoring what I said he was hoping I was lying? :lol:

OP, spend the money on a new tune if you'd like we won't stop you. When you make literally identical power or +/- 5hp/5tq on the new tune then I wouldn't expect a different response when you come back and say "I've been thinking about going with Panda, anyone have any experience with them? I already have a Stratified, Freektune, and JST tune."

Strat, Freek, and JST are probably my personal top 3 for this car along with Panda. Save your money and put it towards something that will ACTUALLY give you benefits...like a turbo...THEN get a tune from your preferred tuner.

·
Registered
530 Posts
For reference, JST offeres a big turbo lifetime tune as well. HOWEVER, this is separate from the lifetime tune for stock turbo/fuel. If you bought their lifetime tune now for your current setup at $220 then went BT in a couple months because the tune was very similar, you would then have to pay them an additional $300 something (I forget how much extra the BT lifetime is over the stock lifetime) for the BT lifetime tune. Granted, going BT is well over $1,000, but everything you have now is the limit in terms of power for stock tune and fuel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Slot 1 Stage 3 93 tune
Slot 2 E30 tune

His response time is great. Would recommend. Can't say it'll be that much of an improvement over what you're currently running though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts