Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Soon I am going to need new tires and am shopping around at some reasonably priced tires that won't break the bank. I found out about Pirelli's all season tires (not the nero ones) and they are reasonably priced and are a performance tire. I don't want Summer tires as the UT weather here is awful and I don't have the money for 2 sets of tires.. Has anyone ran these??

·
Registered
768 Posts
They come as a factory option on the ST's. I had them on mine from new. Probably put 800 miles or so on them before swapping wheels and tires and I was very, very happy with them. In fact, if they had been available in my new size, I would have stayed with that tire. I agree about your choice for an all season tire; I did the same thing. I'm in St Louis with (what I personally would call) four normal seasons, but IMHO with all season tire technology and capabilities these days, my car with me driving it on public roads will never the the extreme limits of this tire. I've already had my all season Michelins on some aggressive mountains and at my pace, they met my needs. I'd offer to see you my stock take-offs, but I've already checked; shipping tires is fairly cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They come as a factory option on the ST's. I had them on mine from new. Probably put 800 miles or so on them before swapping wheels and tires and I was very, very happy with them. In fact, if they had been available in my new size, I would have stayed with that tire. I agree about your choice for an all season tire; I did the same thing. I'm in St Louis with (what I personally would call) four normal seasons, but IMHO with all season tire technology and capabilities these days, my car with me driving it on public roads will never the the extreme limits of this tire. I've already had my all season Michelins on some aggressive mountains and at my pace, they met my needs. I'd offer to see you my stock take-offs, but I've already checked; shipping tires is fairly cost prohibitive.
Thanks man yeah I'm currently running Falken Pro G/4's and they are not bad but man the tire life on them is terrible I haven't even had them for 2 years or 25k miles and they are already almost at the end of their life

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have these stock on my ST, and I'm not impressed with them in the snow. They are okay other than that, but I'm on the verge of buying a set of winter tires next year as they suck that bad in anything over a dusting. My worry is how bad they'll be after more wear, as I started winter with only 3000 miles on them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have them as stock, for a west coast winter they did pretty good. Alright in the wet snow but like most all season tires they are not the greatest on ice. Cant comment on dry/warm weather performance cause I have only had the car since Dec.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I have the ST stock P zero Neros, not buying them again, prob go Michelin but I have driven the P Zero all seasons OP is talking about on my dad's S6 and they handle the 450hp turbo V8 decently in dry weather, but that car's never been driven in snow.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My ST came with the Eagles, I swapped to the P-Zeros. I like them, for every day driving they are more comfortable, quieter, and offer enough grip to have fun.

The P-Zeros are good for what they are, an all season tire, they excel at nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
I run bf Goodrich gforce comp 2 A/S and they are the best tire I've put on the car! They look fantastic to! Look them up on tire rack.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys I'm gonna have to make a decision lol I might look into something else. It sounds like they are great in the dry but during winter they suck like my Falken Pro G/4's do.

·
Registered
768 Posts
(insert your choice of tire brand here)...are good for what they are, an all season tire, they excel at nothing.
Disagree, and quite strongly actually. This latest crop off all season tires we're getting are nothing short of bad ass. And (as much as it kills me to say something that sounds like my dad, LOL) this latest crop will handle anything you can or should be throwing at it on a public road at any speed. AND, if you live somewhere with four seasons, I'd argue I'll take a new Pilot Sport A/S3+ and run circles around you (confidently) 6-9 months out of the year (assuming the tire was the limiting factor in that statement). If that's not the definition of "excel" then I don't know how you define it. And I'd even further argue that capability of an A/S3 in summer time isn't even that far off the pace of an all out summer tire...on the street.

Now, you live in SoCal then sure, different argument. But for someone living in Utah or the midwest, a statement like A/S tires excel at nothing is complete hogwash.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Disagree, and quite strongly actually. This latest crop off all season tires we're getting are nothing short of bad ass. And (as much as it kills me to say something that sounds like my dad, LOL) this latest crop will handle anything you can or should be throwing at it on a public road at any speed. AND, if you live somewhere with four seasons, I'd argue I'll take a new Pilot Sport A/S3+ and run circles around you (confidently) 6-9 months out of the year (assuming the tire was the limiting factor in that statement). If that's not the definition of "excel" then I don't know how you define it. And I'd even further argue that capability of an A/S3 in summer time isn't even that far off the pace of an all out summer tire...on the street.

Now, you live in SoCal then sure, different argument. But for someone living in Utah or the midwest, a statement like A/S tires excel at nothing is complete hogwash.
This is exactly what I am seeing and my reason for looking at the Pilot Sports A/S3+ to replace the F1's. Being in the Pacific NW and frequently crossing the mountains I have found I spend more time with winter rubber mounted than I do summer F1's as they are bricks under 45 degrees. I am actually considering running the all seasons in place of the summers and only cutting to the winter tires when I know I am the 2-3 months of heavy white stuff. I feel I am missing out on too driving pleasure for the 2 or so months on either end of the year when temps bounce between the 30's and 50's.

To address the OP's question, I have not tried the PZeros but have a friend with a 5.0 stang that is ready to ditch his due to lack luster traction (both the rears and more so the fronts)...that said he is laying down a bit more power than we are ;-)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is exactly what I am seeing and my reason for looking at the Pilot Sports A/S3+ to replace the F1's. Being in the Pacific NW and frequently crossing the mountains I have found I spend more time with winter rubber mounted than I do summer F1's as they are bricks under 45 degrees. I am actually considering running the all seasons in place of the summers and only cutting to the winter tires when I know I am the 2-3 months of heavy white stuff. I feel I am missing out on too driving pleasure for the 2 or so months on either end of the year when temps bounce between the 30's and 50's.

To address the OP's question, I have not tried the PZeros but have a friend with a 5.0 stang that is ready to ditch his due to lack luster traction (both the rears and more so the fronts)...that said he is laying down a bit more power than we are ;-)
Yeah we can kinda relate though with our FWD and spinning 1st and 2nd lol :p. But I think that's one thing that would be a draw back of all seasons in general I feel like.. I'm more concerned about having a tire that's reliable year round whether rain or snow, can you put the power down well/corner well. But not be too expensive that it will break the bank.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You will love them!

Yeah we can kinda relate though with our FWD and spinning 1st and 2nd lol :p. But I think that's one thing that would be a draw back of all seasons in general I feel like.. I'm more concerned about having a tire that's reliable year round whether rain or snow, can you put the power down well/corner well. But not be too expensive that it will break the bank.
The Michelin's are awesome. I'm on my second set of A/S3's on one car and have them on the ST now. Amazing tire. AND, if you want to talk about not breaking the bank...Michelin has the A/S3+ out now and TireRack has clearance prices on the A/S3. That's where/how I grabbed mine at a great deal. The only difference is supposedly improved snow performance.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will love them!

The Michelin's are awesome. I'm on my second set of A/S3's on one car and have them on the ST now. Amazing tire. AND, if you want to talk about not breaking the bank...Michelin has the A/S3+ out now and TireRack has clearance prices on the A/S3. That's where/how I grabbed mine at a great deal. The only difference is supposedly improved snow performance.
Thanks for the info :) I'm going to check them out!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Disagree, and quite strongly actually. This latest crop off all season tires we're getting are nothing short of bad ass. And (as much as it kills me to say something that sounds like my dad, LOL) this latest crop will handle anything you can or should be throwing at it on a public road at any speed....
....a statement like A/S tires excel at nothing is complete hogwash.
A/S are a game of sacrifice, much like zoom lenses are in photography.

A well made A/S will not give you the performance of a well made (insert useage here) tire in the area they are at their peak. What A/S do give you is flexibility. I never argued that A/S tires are bad. I just enjoyed a day romping on the Angeles Crest Highway with the P-Zeros, they offer AMPLE performance. Michelin Pilot series tires are great. I enjoyed them on my motorcycle, and Sunbeam.

That said If I had not gotten my P-Zeros for the price I did get them, I would have gone for the Michelin Pilots, or some Yokohamas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I haven't driven the P Zero but I have the AS/3. They are great for normal driving and aren't bricks in the cold. They are only good in lite snow. If you plan on driving frequently in deeper snow then a snow setup would be better. I tried running the AS/3 for winter and they struggle for traction in anything over an inch.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The biggest thing with the Pirellis is the way they feel.

They're soft.

They have a very distinct handling characteristic. They're lazy when you immediately turn the wheel off center. They kind of compress and wallow around... it's compliance and it makes for a nice ride, but if you go from something like the stock Goodyear F1s (which are stiff and have very fast turn in), the Pirellis feel really sluggish.

However, when you push the car (turn further), the pirellis compress a bit and you'll suddenly feel them grab. Once you get to that point, they feel like they're on rails. It's a very interesting feel.... the way they squish and then GRAB once they realize you're serious about turning. It's kind of cool, but for me, that initial softness and dulled response takes away from what I like about the ST's quick steering.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The biggest thing with the Pirellis is the way they feel.

They're soft.

They have a very distinct handling characteristic. They're lazy when you immediately turn the wheel off center. They kind of compress and wallow around... it's compliance and it makes for a nice ride, but if you go from something like the stock Goodyear F1s (which are stiff and have very fast turn in), the Pirellis feel really sluggish.

However, when you push the car (turn further), the pirellis compress a bit and you'll suddenly feel them grab. Once you get to that point, they feel like they're on rails. It's a very interesting feel.... the way they squish and then GRAB once they realize you're serious about turning. It's kind of cool, but for me, that initial softness and dulled response takes away from what I like about the ST's quick steering.
I'll second this. I haven't had the chance to put a summer tire on yet but this is exactly how the pirellis feel. It became super evident after upgrading my suspension. Good god for a no season tire do they stick but you have to be willing to go over that squishy threshold to get them to do it. If you don't there's a fair amount of understeer/numbness when turning in. It's really a weird feeling I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts