Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2016 ST a few months ago. My last car was a evo 8 with 5 speed. Downshifting with that 5 speed was easy and somewhat difficult to really mis a shift. The 'gates' were tight and the feel was easy to run through the gears either upshifts or downshifts. With the Focus I am noticing the throw and 'gate' feels a bit more awkward. For example, the 5-4 seems a bit more awkward than other manuals I have been in, but maybe cause this is honestly my first 6 speed. I have always preferred 5 speeds. Sometimes I try downshifting from 5-4 and end up actually doing a 5-6, lol. It feels like an awkward angle and throw, You almost have to shift out of gear, let it get centered for a split second, then downshift. WTH is the deal with this car, haha. So anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've never had any issues with mine. My hand moves to a different position for almost every shift. 5-4, let the shifter rest in the meaty part of your palm, put presure to the left, and pull back. Falls right in for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
3 & 4 are in line with Neutral. So if you go from 5 to 4 and don't go over, you will be in 6th. You need a driver MOD. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've never had an issue going from 5-4 my issue has always been 2-3 in spirited driving.. I've miss-shifted back into 2nd instead of 4th, I guess you could kind of call it money shifting? But never 5-4

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3-4 actually I have never had an issue, 5-4 just seems like an awkward angle. I miss it because it seems like im bringing it in too much and gonna get into 2, then i over compensate and it ends in 6th instead of 4th. I think the gates on this shifter design just maybe more spread out than other transmissions I have driven, it can never be the driver at fault.lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I got my ST it felt like 5th gear was in the glovebox, and I had to nut my passenger to put it in 6th. It felt a bit strange to shift back into 4th too because the throw was so ridiculous. I missed shifts for sure.

The whole thing felt infinitely better after putting in the shifter bushings, short shift plate, and cable bushings. I find it much easier to shift now. YMMV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is my 6th manual transmission car, but my first with 6 gears. The gears do feel close together and is easier to misshift than other cars i've owned, but it's also not a problem to get accustomed to. Aside from that, I really like the smooth shifting action and feel. It's definitely my favorite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts