Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, I just realized today that I focus on it way too much, so I just switched the digital gauge to distance to empty and I feel better already.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mine always stays on the 4 panel screen.

I like to see the average mpg. It reminds me that I purchased an economy car, I should drive it like one.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Mine always stays on the 4 panel screen.

I like to see the average mpg. It reminds me that I purchased an economy car, I should drive it like one.
Wrong you bought a cheap performance car. Everyone who cares about MPG's and didn't buy a SE or C-max is absolutely ridiculous to me. I know a lot of you on here care about it. But it just makes 0 sense to buy an ST where the point is to drive spirited and have fun, which are inherently low mpg activities. If you want to shift at 2k and never speed then you wasted 10k on an ST.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The mpg gauge on cars is never accurate, mine said i got 28mpg on a 180 mile road trip and i actually got 24mpg total. But i was also going 80-85mph on the turnpike. If you drive it easy the mpg isnt bad. Just like a test i seen on a prius, these guys ran it as hard as they could on a track with a hot rod following behind it and the prius got 17 mpg while this hot rod got 22mpg. This 4 cylinder relies on its power from forced induction and is designed for a turbo so its mpg will not be as good as a standard 4 cylinder that is powered by natural asperated power. Its not very aerodynamic either with its flat nose so at higher speeds its like hitting a wall. This car is designed to cut corners good not go 0-100 quick. Its a rally car my 87 turbo coupe was aerodynamic and designed to go quick, it actually got really good gas mileage if i drove it easy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wrong you bought a cheap performance car. Everyone who cares about MPG's and didn't buy a SE or C-max is absolutely ridiculous to me. I know a lot of you on here care about it. But it just makes 0 sense to buy an ST where the point is to drive spirited and have fun, which are inherently low mpg activities. If you want to shift at 2k and never speed then you wasted 10k on an ST.
I think one of the great things about the ST platform is that it can do both decently well. Yeah, it's not the most economical and yeah it's not the most sporty but it's a lot of fun and can still be decently cheap at the pump on the days where you can't have fun. And let's be honest, when the geriatrics are having the drag race of their life you aren't really being sporty or fun.

To put it in perspective it got the same MPG as my old Camry. There is a lot more fun in the ST per gallon than that thing ever will be.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The mpg gauge on cars is never accurate, mine said i got 28mpg on a 180 mile road trip and i actually got 24mpg total. But i was also going 80-85mph on the turnpike. If you drive it easy the mpg isnt bad. Just like a test i seen on a prius, these guys ran it as hard as they could on a track with a hot rod following behind it and the prius got 17 mpg while this hot rod got 22mpg. This 4 cylinder relies on its power from forced induction and is designed for a turbo so its mpg will not be as good as a standard 4 cylinder that is powered by natural asperated power. Its not very aerodynamic either with its flat nose so at higher speeds its like hitting a wall. This car is designed to cut corners good not go 0-100 quick. Its a rally car my 87 turbo coupe was aerodynamic and designed to go quick, it actually got really good gas mileage if i drove it easy.
That was Top Gear (The british version, the only real version) season 11 episode 1. I love that after the test they said everything that electric car owners don't want to hear. Like plugging your car in to charge it is using fossil fueled power plants to create the electric. Or how caustic the batteries are in those things. The conclusion was that when all was said and done, the Prius is actually worse for the environment than regular cars. I believe this to be true for now. Not in the near future, though, as newer battery technologies and efficiency levels are increased.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
133 Posts
For a "moderate performance" car, the ST gets pretty good mileage. I can get 31 mpg hwy, and usually average about 28 on my daily commute (lots of highway driving), and this includes some WOT. I can't complain one bit. I had a Cruze Eco previously, and yes, that thing would get 39 mpg on my commute...but it was a 138hp turd, with gearing setup for economy. IMO, Ford did a great job balancing economy with performance.

Reactions: Joshua

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use a free iPhone app called mileage keeper.
The MPG gauges are way off..my dodge Ram has one not even close. I had one on my VW Tdi and that one was wildly inaccurate.
I just ignore it now.

Although I think it is important to monitor the mpg just not with that display.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I only use the digital speedometer. I could give a $hite less about MPGs. If I need gas, I go get more. If I cared about mileage, I would have bought a Prius (and I'd NEVER do that). So to answer your question in a word... no.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My average mpg is usually pretty close but never quite on. Sometimes it's 1 mpg below what I actually got or 1.5 mpg over. Except for the other day it was almost 5 mpg over, either that or the fuel pump was off. It turned off just under 13 gallons pumped which seemed really high.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well aren't you a little spark plug.

I think people should drive however they'd like with whichever car they choose. I agree that this car is not for someone looking to get the absolute BEST mileage of any focus ever, but its not worth having a coronary over if they did buy it for that reason.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lol, what he said ^ i noticed this web has a lot of stressed out people... GRRRRR, RAWR, GRRRRR I know more then you so go munch on a crusty taint GRRRRR...

·
Registered
395 Posts
It is an economy car compared to my other vehicle. I get twice the gas mileage even on the worst days. I average 27-28 on my commute and have gotten 33 highway.

Average fuel economy can vary a lot. I don't start worrying until its under 23.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts