Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a problem with the bolts/studs in the downpipe adapter on the GTX turbo coming loose and even falling off? this has happening several times to me, I've even removed the turbo and tightened them all down and one just fell out again the other day, with some of the others being loose. Any remedy to this?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Anyone else have a problem with the bolts/studs in the downpipe adapter on the GTX turbo coming loose and even falling off? this has happening several times to me, I've even removed the turbo and tightened them all down and one just fell out again the other day, with some of the others being loose. Any remedy to this?
Is this the kind of thing you can locktite? Without knowing exactly what you're referring to I'm not sure.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Would lock washers help? Or maybe a bit of Locktight? (not much mind you) I've had no issues like this before. There must be a lot of vibrations going on in there.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
You need a lock nut something like this: https://www.fastenal.com/products/d...072 Nuts"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600081 Lock Nuts"|~

No nylon to melt.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would lock washers help? Or maybe a bit of Locktight? (not much mind you) I've had no issues like this before. There must be a lot of vibrations going on in there.
I'm not sure. the bolts don't move, it seems that the actual studs themselves are whats coming loose. I've though about loctite but I don't believe there is any loctite that could withstand the temperatures on the back of the turbo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure. the bolts don't move, it seems that the actual studs themselves are whats coming loose. I've though about loctite but I don't believe there is any loctite that could withstand the temperatures on the back of the turbo.
turbo.jpg
its the bronze bolts on the downpipe flange.

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Locktite 272/266? Withstands up to 450 IIRC...how hot you think the back of the turbo gets? Might be stronger stuff

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Locktite 272/266? Withstands up to 450 IIRC...how hot you think the back of the turbo gets? Might be stronger stuff
Not sure. I've read elsewhere that exhaust components can get well over 1000 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Not sure. I've read elsewhere that exhaust components can get well over 1000 degrees.
In the amazon reviews for Locktite 272 someone claims he was rebuilding a turbo:

"Holds fairly well. I had an issue where my turbocharger compressor nut came loose. I had the nut secured by the Loctite come loose after using the Klean N' Prime and a 48 hour set time. A hose blew off the compressor and I didn't know it, causing the turbo to boost much higher levels (thus creating more heat) than normal. Had to rebuild the turbo and used it again, this time with a 72 hour set time before heat cycling. It has stayed threaded tight and I have not had any other issues."

So I guess it needs to set a LONG time? lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the amazon reviews for Locktite 272 someone claims he was rebuilding a turbo:

"Holds fairly well. I had an issue where my turbocharger compressor nut came loose. I had the nut secured by the Loctite come loose after using the Klean N' Prime and a 48 hour set time. A hose blew off the compressor and I didn't know it, causing the turbo to boost much higher levels (thus creating more heat) than normal. Had to rebuild the turbo and used it again, this time with a 72 hour set time before heat cycling. It has stayed threaded tight and I have not had any other issues."

So I guess it needs to set a LONG time? lol
maybe so! lol i'll have to try it. Cant hurt anything lol

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
when heat is applied to metal, it expands, with the nut being ridged and not polished it provides resistance towards vibration. I believe the nut won't expand as much as the shaft of the bolt.
Plus lock tight glue keeps it there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when heat is applied to metal, it expands, with the nut being ridged and not polished it provides resistance towards vibration. I believe the nut won't expand as much as the shaft of the bolt.
Plus lock tight glue keeps it there.
Gotcha! I will order some and try them out. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeap, just happened to me this weekend after about 750 miles on big turbo, even after checking / tightening all fasteners prior to install. Was going to adjust new coilover height and noticed an exhaust sound coming from engine bay and after inspection that's what I found, so did some research and came across these
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-3416
Mr. Gasket header bolt lock washers. Will remove the flat washers after bronze nut and install these. They are square and grab onto both surfaces in opposite direction with spring like tension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts