Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So possibly the only thing I want from the ST2/3 over the ST1 I have is those sexy, sexy headlights. I don't so much care about adaptive headlights, but I much prefer the blue light over the yellow. I know there are LED replacement kits but I'm not really sure fi they run into the same problem as when people put HID bulbs in regular halogen housings, or if the LED itself is a different kind of bulb and thus isn't as blinding when put into a normal housing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So possibly the only thing I want from the ST2/3 over the ST1 I have is those sexy, sexy headlights. I don't so much care about adaptive headlights, but I much prefer the blue light over the yellow. I know there are LED replacement kits but I'm not really sure fi they run into the same problem as when people put HID bulbs in regular halogen housings, or if the LED itself is a different kind of bulb and thus isn't as blinding when put into a normal housing.
Do everyone else a favor and get housings (projectors) designed for led bulbs. Both you and everyone else on the road will be better off. If you don't, the light coming from your headlights will be scattered so bad you won't be able to see a thing and it'll blind other drivers. I'm sure you have seen the results from others that have made that mistake.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
When it comes to lighting, I’m a firm believer in do it right or don’t do it at all. I run into dazzle dunces Every. Single. Morning. on the way to work and it’s one area I’d really like to see more enforcement.

Here’s why it doesn’t work.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Check these guys out if you want help doing it right.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com

Won’t be cheap, but it will be worth every penny if you value lighting performance. I’ve done 3 retrofits myself and loved the results.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When it comes to lighting, I’m a firm believer in do it right or don’t do it at all. I run into dazzle dunces Every. Single. Morning. on the way to work and it’s one area I’d really like to see more enforcement.

Here’s why it doesn’t work.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Check these guys out if you want help doing it right.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com

Won’t be cheap, but it will be worth every penny if you value lighting performance. I’ve done 3 retrofits myself and loved the results.
Wow, I hate to be "that guy", and while i do find a lot of good information in that first article, there is also a lot of fear-mongering and "People have reported", "people have said", "trends indicate" statements in there. It's like listening to a trump speech.

Again, a lot of what's in the first article can definitely be taken to heart. I've seen plenty of jack*sses out there with HID's that are horribly aligned, way off-color, and, from car meets, installed in incredibly dangerous and ridiculous ways.

That being said, i've run an HID kit in my 02 Mini Cooper for the last 3 years, and have only had 1 person flash their highs at me, no tickets, no problems passing inspection. I have better visibility than i ever had with halogens, and haven't had a single electrical problem (that wasn't already part of the car). Back when i bought the kit, the OE HID headlight assemblies were running $500+ used, $800+ new, per side. I wanted the whiter light, and i needed the better visibility, living in rural NC, so I decided to give the $60 Amazon kit a try. To this day, still the best $60 i've spent on the car. Still running the Sylvania ZXE Halogen as the highs, though.

Although when it comes to the ST, I have the ST3, so I haven't had to worry about it. From the design of the assemblies and wiring though, I wouldn't think there'd be an easy way to apply the same kind of HID kit i got for my MC. Seems like the amount of time and effort to install it properly would almost make going with an OE conversion worth it.

TL;DR - Personal experience doesn't match 99% of advice out there. Not saying it's not valid, just that i tried something and liked it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
the bottoms line is that the point of light source between different types of bulbs, even if only a MM in difference can make a huge difference in where the light is reflected to. as far as doing it and just hoping that it isn't too much glare for other drivers will just come down to pure luck. sure MOST of the light will probably be thrown in the right direction, but some of the light will be be thrown out where it shouldn't be. because its acceptable(and what is acceptable to the driver in the car, may not be acceptable to all the other drivers that have to look at those light head on) in one vehicle, doesn't mean that it will be in any other car.

I've seen some cars that the glare was not too bad, but then I've seen way too many cars where the glare was just retarded and light was just be scattered all over the place. off course you can see a lot better when a lot more light is just being thrown out all over the place and lighting up places that it wasn't before, but likely the light wasn't being throw in those places for a reason.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Local guy just put LED bulbs in the stock halogen housings, and let me tell you, it looked like a messed up disco ball. Just scatered EVERYWHERE and almost no forward light at all (it was practically dark right in front of the car). I will also jump on the wagon of everyone else.. DO NOT PUT INCORRECT BULBS IN INCORRECT HOUSINGS. Especially people who say "well I have HID's and have only been flashed once" ... yeah so people just didnt flash you, doesnt mean your not pissing everyone on the road off by blinding them at night.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Trust me, don't. If you do, you're a d*ck. And the lighting will probably be worse because it will be so scattered. It will look "brighter" because more output but it will light up everything in front of you like a huge scattered unfocused spotlight. Blinding everyone and looking dumb. No different than putting HID in stock housings

·
Registered
181 Posts
For my halogens, I used an H9 conversion instead of an H11. The H9 is a 65W bulb compared to the 55w bulb in an H11. Because the filament position is identical, it still throws out light in the proper pattern. Just brighter. It's not bluish-white like the LED or HID bulbs, but it works better.

So, if you want more light, I recommend that. If you want a bluer tint for appearance, make sure whatever LED/HID kit you end up using has the diode in the exact position as the filament in a halogen bulb, or you will get light scatter which will diminish your light projection, despite being "brighter". You might as well use some crappy blue tinted bulbs at that point to get the look without the performance. Please determine which is more important to you, and which is more considerate to other drivers around you.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Old thread, but I have had great experience upgrading my motorcycle headlight system from H4 Hi/Lo Bulb from this company:
https://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php

Plug and play system.

I tried these in an old ninja to convert the halogen to hid and they actually work pretty freaking good.single filament and when you switch to high beam that actually moves the hid. I have hikari ultra h11 and h1 leds in my st.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/251613985627

1 - 11 of 11 Posts