Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So around here we have a lot of those traffic lights on on-ramps, and I'm just wondering if anybody else uses those to help with their launch/shifting techniques. I can't be the only one. It's even more fun when there are two lanes leading to the freeway and you get to drag race the guy beside of you.

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
So around here we have a lot of those traffic lights on on-ramps, and I'm just wondering if anybody else uses those to help with their launch/shifting techniques. I can't be the only one. It's even more fun when there are two lanes leading to the freeway and you get to drag race the guy beside of you.
I've never seen those anywhere but California; here in the mid-west we just get to regulate ourselves.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's Colorado, and a bunch of CA folks are here now because they've invaded. So, aside from their voting practices, they've brought the traffic stuff, too. :(

Reactions: junits15 and Dakman

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've never seen those anywhere but California; here in the mid-west we just get to regulate ourselves.
We've got them in Columbus, usually only certain ramps at certain hours. I rarely ever see them functioning. Used to have them on an on ramp by my old apartment that i would have to stop for but its been over 10years since ive seen one in action...just not in my commute anymore. I dont recall the traffic on the hw ever allowing me to get up to 70 when they were on lol, usually traffic was at like 50mph due to congestion.

For the people reading this saying what are they talking about... Usually they are setup to act like a stop sign, just a quick red light then green light to stagger the traffic flow on the ramp, separate from any intersection traffic lights. Will help with the other cars on the highway to have the ramp traffic interupted vs a solid stream of cars

·
Registered
32 Posts
We don't have them here in Texas, but we get to practice our launch and shift techniques with other drivers on the road. Almost everyone around here drive like if they are the only vehicle on the road, so you are always driving super alert in order not to get hit! :D

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Around here the problem is nobody obeys the speed limits and the police don't seem to care. So, if the limit is 55, that means the right lane will be doing 65 to 70 and the far left lane and/or the toll/hov lane will be 85+. The acceleration ramps are pretty short, so they were probably made to accommodate getting up to 50 or so, but with the higher speeds of traffic you have to get on it hard. They put the metering lights 60 to 70% of the way down the ramp, too, which makes the problem even worse.

How do I tell my wife that getting a tune for the increased acceleration rate is a safety matter? 😁. Seriously... If I can't get into traffic quickly I might get squished.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
How do I tell my wife that getting a tune for the increased acceleration rate is a safety matter? 😁. Seriously... If I can't get into traffic quickly I might get squished.
Oh its easy, you just say hun for our safety, I need to tune the car. Ive used that for tires, brakes and suspension too. Lots of crazy drivers out there, i need to be able to avoid them safely...need the car to be at its best to keep us safe ;)

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh its easy, you just say hun for our safety, I need to tune the car. Ive used that for tires, brakes and suspension too. Lots of crazy drivers out there, i need to be able to avoid them safely...need the car to be at its best to keep us safe ;)
There's a reason I'll never go with a vehicle that's not forced induction again. Instant torque is a really nice thing to have when you need it. When we had the van in the shop to get the hail damage repaired a couple years ago my wife had to drive the kids around in a Chevy 1500 series van. She said the first time she pulled out into traffic she just about got hit because she expected it to GO, but it was just gutless compared to the Transit with the 3.5 EB. We're an all ecoboost family with a pair of 2.0's (Escape and FoST), and the 3.5 EB. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts