Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
My Dragon Cayenne and Serrano peppers cross pollinated with my Habanero peppers for a little extra kick! My Poblano peppers are slowly coming out this year.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Made this this past weekend with either my trinidad scorpions or bhut jolokias.

IMG_3875.JPG

Was pretty tasty. Not too hot. Got my nose going a little bit, but definitely bearable.

Made another today with another freshly picked pepper. It had quite a bit more kick. Had to get some milk in me a couple slices in lol. Full on runny nose and watering eyes. Will need to make one to share with @brooklynxpat one day. :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Just saw this thread.. sorry I missed it.
I've been making my own Chili for years, and the past 2 years I started a pepper garden!

20171003_115630.jpg

This year I'm growing Poblano, Habanero, Serrano, Jalapeno, Hungarian Hot wax, and Anaheim hot peppers. Also growing some sweet peppers, Green red and Golden and a Purple bell peppers.

Day 14_3_2Webed.JPG
Day 14_5_4Webed.JPG
Day 14_8_7Webed.JPG
Day 14_9_8Webed.JPG

And can't forget the garnish: A Doz Green onions. Day 14_15_14Webed.JPG

And some tomatoes too.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My pepper crop this year is struggling, not sure any are going to make it. The weather has been really wet and really hot, for some reason they arent doing well in my garden.

A couple of seasons ago I had a good chili crop. I dried them out and then smoked them over mesquite. Then ground them up into a powder, turned out real nice:

Last season I just did jalepeno's and turned them into sweet heat jelly with some strawberries/raspberries.

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
I grow a few varieties; here is yesterday's harvest of Anaheims, Hungarian Wax and Jalepenos:
peppers.jpg

My Prairie Fire peppers are just starting to color up.

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
The Hungarian and Anaheim peppers are ready for harvest again.

And the Prairie Fires are coloring up; no yellow or orange...they went straight to red and will then get some purple.

Hopefully some of the green ones will turn yellow and orange; the plants really look nice with all five colors.
And, the protector of the peppers.

That little Mantis is in that same spot every evening.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow that is awesome pepper garden!

I just grow jalapenos. Honestly it is not really worth the trouble as they are so cheap at the grocery.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I only grew some Pepperoni and Jalapenos in the past. Tried Habaneros last year, but due to unsteady weather in late spring, they didn't really grew.
This year my wife wanted to do me a favor and bought me a seedling. Since she doesn't really knows stuff about peppers, she got me some Trinidad Scorpion... so far they're growing nicely, my only problem is that I have no clue what to do with them once they're ready to harvest.
Most likely, they'll be too hot to be of any use to me.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm taking it easy this year, going to just do some Cayenne and Ancho's. I mostly just want salsa style peppers and anything i dont eat I want to dry them and grind them to powder. Also if i can find some Shi****o plants :)lol: thinks shi-sh-ito is a bad word,) ill buy a couple but havent yet. lol so i guess i am just growing mild peppers compared to some :)

Dried and put to some light mesquite smoke a few years ago; the chili powder lasted me decent amount time:

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
This year I have a nice variety growing. Better Bells, Mexi Bells, California Wonders, Orange Blaze, Anaheim Chili, Super Chili, Giant Chili, Hungarian Wax, Sweet Stir Fry, Jalapeno, Gong Bao and Habanero. I think that's all of them.

Edit: Cayenne too.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
This year I have a nice variety growing. Better Bells, Mexi Bells, California Wonders, Orange Blaze, Anaheim Chili, Super Chili, Giant Chili, Hungarian Wax, Sweet Stir Fry, Jalapeno, Gong Bao and Habanero. I think that's all of them.

Edit: Cayenne too.
Quite a selection! But you do eat other stuff too, right?

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
Heard those Mexi Bells are good. Was gonna try them this year but Lowes was sold out of them and the nursery didnt have them
There is a nursery near me that is also a greenhouse, they start all of their own seedlings. They had over 40 varieties of peppers this year and told me if I get with them in early march they will take requests.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There is a nursery near me that is also a greenhouse, they start all of their own seedlings. They had over 40 varieties of peppers this year and told me if I get with them in early march they will take requests.
Oh, i would suggest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shi****o I've noticed an increase in their popularity but havent found places selling them to grow near me. One of the vendors at my local farmers market had them when they were in season last year, i went back a few times to restock. I like cooking them up like this: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sauteed-shi****o-peppers-summers-best-new-bite-51153400

Best part every once in a while you get one thats spicy, like a little heat surprise but otherwise just a nice flavor and easy to eat/prep :)

edit, the site just thinks i am swearing and *** my links. shi-shi-to sans the dashes to fix the links

81 - 100 of 101 Posts