Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The morning temps have been dipping into the 40s here in the Denver area, and while the air is still pretty thin compared to you guys closer to sea level, the air density is starting to creep up into the .92X range at 6:30AM. Consequently, traction in 3rd, even on concrete, is starting to become a problem since the turbo is flowing more air mass in the thicker air. The added air density also seems to be helping the turbo spool up faster, as I saw a hair over 29 lbs of boost the other morning as I was having some fun with a new A7 on an on-ramp. Back in the summer it was normally in the 27s under the same circumstances.

Pretty sure I'm going to have to drop down to the middle-boost map once it gets cooler to help with traction... with the 215-series snow tires go on the car it'll probably be comical at anything over 1/2 throttle.

· Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's a double edged sword... Cooler temps but then tires that stay hard for too long in the colder mornings lol.
I had some serious traction issues when passing a string of folks on concrete the other morning. It was fighting for traction even past 70.

· Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cant wait to experience this lol.

Are you tuned for boost by gear?

also, you need some drag radials in yo life! :)
Nope... not tuned for boost by gear. I just use my right foot to modulate things. Honestly, with the gusseted traction bar on the car, it's pretty easy to keep it straight instead of it doing the "oh hey, let's jerk the car right 3 feet when you mash the gas" with torque steer. 1st gear is pretty useless at anything over 1/2 throttle and 2nd gear is useless over about 3/4 throttle, so I just modulate that one with my foot and it'll peak around 23 to 24 psi, and then 3rd gear I just go hammer down and either lift a touch when it starts to break loose or just steer through it. The other morning I just kept my foot down when it started losing traction a touch.

• Love
Reactions: Dirtfiend602

· Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just in car stuff... This data log showed over 400 ft/lbs and around 370 whp when I ran it through vdyno with the right correction factor. When you downshift to 3rd from 5th/6th and mat it, it's a lot more fun than when simply taking data logs. Those are kinda boring, but you get the idea of how quickly the power comes on once boost starts building. FWIW, if you stay into the gas in 4th, the time it takes to gain 10 mph at a time doesn't really slow down that much. Not that I'd know personally at all in MY car... of course not.. nope... (no, Jenny... I have no idea...cough cough)... just to say a similar car with similar turbo setup, with similar tune, mods, weight, etc.... will run to the top of 4th WAY quicker than you expect.

Reactions: STallion18

· Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cold weather? I was on the track today, 97F. Still, it was running 25.5 psi of boost with all vital signs on green.
On the one hand I would love to track this car at least once, but the fear of breaking my DD keeps me from really searching out how to make that happen. There's a road course about 90 minutes east of me I could probably drive on at some point, but I REALLY don't want to wreck it.

Reactions: MrBen522

· Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
1,560 Posts
Track Days has 3 groups. You are going to start in the novice group anyway at your own pace, mostly stock cars, there are no prizes or trophies. Just to have fun. I run intermediate group, mostly modded Miatas, F86 and a bunch of M BMW's. Everybody keeps its distance. In 3 years, I haven't seen any accidents.

· Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you run a dedicated set of wheels and tires or do you just run your street tires? I don't think the Indy 500s would last too long on a track.

· Registered
2,149 Posts
@STallion18 , it's still dropping into the low 70's at night. The early mornings have been quite enjoyable! ...I mean, not that I should be in this discussion with my oh so small snail (stock K03), but the early morning commute is quite responsive indeed! I'm not sure if they'd let me go to intermediate at HHR since I haven't been there in over a year. Either way, I've qualified at the Motorsport Ranch in Cresson for BYOC days. Any day on track is awesome, even if it's novice group. Just get the brakes and fluids up to par and you're all good for stockers. :cool: One of my favorite ways to destroy tires I don't like, lol.

· Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Registered
2,149 Posts
Here's the track close(ish) to me that I'd be interested in...

Looks like you've got another 2 days before it closes until April. However, the arrangement options for the track are really nice! 3-way split for short courses, or a significantly larger course if they linked them together. Looks super fun!!

Reactions: rob99rt

· Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,226 Posts
I remember the time I was overboosting well over 29 PSI and Alan said he needs to set limits due to cold weather and being @ sea level VS when I was tunning in summer and getting 26-27 PSI max.

Reactions: rob99rt

· Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like you've got another 2 days before it closes until April. However, the arrangement options for the track are really nice! 3-way split for short courses, or a significantly larger course if they linked them together. Looks super fun!!
We went there about 4 years ago to watch a bunch of guys in Porsches race around. Was pretty fun. Danny even got to go for a ride in one for a few laps... That cemented in his head the need for speed, though. The car we've purchased for him for when he starts driving on his own in the next 6 to 7 months is a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed protege. Not sure that's a good plan or not, but at least he knows how to drive a manual already with as much practice as he's getting in it with us in the car (learner's permit)

Clothing Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

· Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I remember the time I was overboosting well over 29 PSI and Alan said he needs to set limits due to cold weather and being @ sea level VS when I was tunning in summer and getting 26-27 PSI max.
I sent Brian (JST) an email about it last night, so hopefully he gets back with me in the next day or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts