Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the Title says. Is their a way? The reason why I got this idea is because my father got the new 911.2 base Carrera and that car like the focus st has a sound symposer. The sound that came from it's symposer sounded a lot like the focus st in terms of nature of the sound, but the Porsche had a different tone. Obviously, their are differences in the intake sides of the two cars, but what about a 5 cylinder sound through the symposer.

For reference, I am a complete amateur when it comes to how the symposer gets it sound. Please forgive my lack of knowledge on how they work.:question:

·
Registered
532 Posts
The symposer is a pipe connected to the intake manifold, with a little valve to let sound in (or not). You can only control volume.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Just what the Title says. Is their a way? The reason why I got this idea is because my father got the new 911.2 base Carrera and that car like the focus st has a sound symposer. The sound that came from it's symposer sounded a lot like the focus st in terms of nature of the sound, but the Porsche had a different tone. Obviously, their are differences in the intake sides of the two cars, but what about a 5 cylinder sound through the symposer.

For reference, I am a complete amateur when it comes to how the symposer gets it sound. Please forgive my lack of knowledge on how they work.:question:
The largest reason it has a different tone ... is the different engine. You are basically piping engine noise .. through a hose ... to the firewall. The valve opens to add noise to the cabin during harder acceleration. Best thing I did to the car in the beginning was to rip that whole unit out the day i put on my exhaust. With an aftermarket exhaust, its far too boomy and causes quite a lot of drone where its not needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
another difference is that the Porsche one is a lot more sophisticated then ours is... the Porsche actually does a great job with the sound symposer and sounds fantastic. ours on the other hand is eh at best.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
dont listen to everyone saying that it breaks or rip it out. when i had my car i had my tuner program the symposer so it was open at all rpm ranges and at max volume. and loved it. sold the car with 36k miles and it never malfunctioned.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you really wanted to spend the hours of time researching and developing a solution, you might be able to adjust the tone slightly by changing the resonant frequency of the tube using hard pipes and resonators. Much better just getting a dp/catback

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
dont listen to everyone saying that it breaks or rip it out. when i had my car i had my tuner program the symposer so it was open at all rpm ranges and at max volume. and loved it. sold the car with 36k miles and it never malfunctioned.
you sir... must love having your ear drums beaten to death with the conflicting sounds of resonance... holy **** did my MBRP boom the cabin with the symposer full active.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, A lot of replies. lol

I was thinking if you put some sort of baffles in the piping or something, that would change the tone. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to have to get a exhaust or something.

·
Registered
2014 ST1
191 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts