Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 LZ ST has a problem (since new) where the idle is very rough (very noticeable kicks and stutters) and occasionally when coming to a stop with the clutch pedal fully depressed the rpm will drop to between 500 and 700 rpm and the car will shudder as if it's stalling before the anti-stall kicks in and the rpm recovers to around 750 rpm or higher. It happens more regularly when the the aircon is on. The symptoms are almost exactly the same as those that some 2014 STs had which was apparently due to a wiring harness crimping issue - however that problem was supposed to be fixed in the LZ ST.

I have been dealing with Ford Australia on this issue for 3 years now, and had to log my own data to prove it was happening before they acknowledged it was not normal and started trying to identify the cause. However, when I took my car in for its annual service today the dealer informed me that the Ford Australia engineer has now advised them that 'this is a normal attribute of this car and they won't be doing anything about it'. This is a complete backflip, as they've previously said it was not normal, and I'm interpreting this to mean they won't be spending any more effort or money trying to fix my issue. In other words I just have to put up with it!

To help me argue whether or not this is a 'normal attribute' of the LZ ST, could other Australian LZ ST owners please let me know if you have or have not experienced similar symptoms (and if so, whether you found a solution). I asked this question on the xr5turbo forum a while back and got very few responses, which either means it's not a common problem (and not a 'normal attribute' of this car), or people just weren't interested.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2016 LZ ST has a problem (since new) where the idle is very rough (very noticeable kicks and stutters) and occasionally when coming to a stop with the clutch pedal fully depressed the rpm will drop to between 500 and 700 rpm and the car will shudder as if it's stalling before the anti-stall kicks in and the rpm recovers to around 750 rpm or higher. It happens more regularly when the the aircon is on. The symptoms are almost exactly the same as those that some 2014 STs had which was apparently due to a wiring harness crimping issue - however that problem was supposed to be fixed in the LZ ST.

I have been dealing with Ford Australia on this issue for 3 years now, and had to log my own data to prove it was happening before they acknowledged it was not normal and started trying to identify the cause. However, when I took my car in for its annual service today the dealer informed me that the Ford Australia engineer has now advised them that 'this is a normal attribute of this car and they won't be doing anything about it'. This is a complete backflip, as they've previously said it was not normal, and I'm interpreting this to mean they won't be spending any more effort or money trying to fix my issue. In other words I just have to put up with it!

To help me argue whether or not this is a 'normal attribute' of the LZ ST, could other Australian LZ ST owners please let me know if you have or have not experienced similar symptoms (and if so, whether you found a solution). I asked this question on the xr5turbo forum a while back and got very few responses, which either means it's not a common problem (and not a 'normal attribute' of this car), or people just weren't interested.

Thanks for any help.
I live in the Middle East but, my car is an ADM model and I have the same issue which Ford says they have been unable to replicate. It only occurs when outside temperatures are warm, maybe 30°C and above. There was an issue with some wiring harnesses which lead to a replacement about 5 years ago. I will try to find the link and send it to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Google Ford TSB 13-9-7........It May help

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Google Ford TSB 13-9-7........It May help
Thanks Martin. Yes, I reckon it might have something to do with the wiring splice issue, and I pointed my dealer towards that TSB when my issue first started happening. However, TSB 13-9-7 says it is only applicable to the 2013-2014 Focus ST (and mine is 2016), so my dealer won't do it without direction from Ford Australia, and Ford Australia is now saying my car's behaviour is normal.

I'm not confident in being able to do that wiring TSB myself, but if I can't get anywhere with Ford I might get an auto electrician to do the wiring TSB.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi MJH,
I had the same issue with my dealership here. I learned to live with it rather than void my warranty.
Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Martin. My car's warranty just ended, so I could potentially do my own wiring fix without any impact on warranty. It's very frustrating the way Ford is dealing with this. It's so easy for the dealer to just keep saying they can't replicate the problem - that's why I logged my own data and recorded over 50 'almost stall' events in less than two months. Then they said they wouldn't look at my data because it wasn't recorded with their equipment. Eventually they agreed to look at my data and acknowledged that the car frequently almost stalling and having the anti-stall system kick in, and the constantly rough idle, wasn't normal and they started doing a few checks. However, they now seem to have back-flipped and are saying this is just a 'normal attribute' of this model. The service manager at my dealer, who had been helpful and supportive up to date, is now ignoring my emails (probably under instruction from Ford Australia). Sadly, this experience has really detracted from my enjoyment of this otherwise excellent car. It's my sixth Ford car, but probably my last. Any enjoyment of its good performance is wiped away every time I come to a stop and the car either almost stalls or just idles like a pig. Rant over...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue, more than usual at the moment due to the summer heat in Queensland.
Doesn't happen everything but it does irritate me somewhat. I've learned to ignore it though. And dealt with Ford service departments enough over the years to know its not worth the drama sometimes.

I wonder if it's a temperature thing, and a better cai or intercooler might help.

Sent from my H4133 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts