Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any knock sensor issues or anything? i searched but didn't come up with much. I'm running the Fidanza in my mustang and really like it. I was considering tossing one in the focus when i do the clutch (120k miles).

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
any knock sensor issues or anything? i searched but didn't come up with much. I'm running the Fidanza in my mustang and really like it. I was considering tossing one in the focus when i do the clutch (120k miles).

Thanks guys.
I posted my comments on the don't get flamed noob thread. Essentially, I hate my single mass lightweight flywheel from Spec. Horrible!

Reactions: gtx2867_ST

·
Administrator
11,899 Posts

Thanks guys.
I run the spec lwfw. Its not for the timid. No issues with it, but its super light. So its pretty touchy to DD. I like it, but it will do better with a turbo swap.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Last two project cars that I also daily drove I had regretted two things, deleting the balance shafts and lightweight flywheel. I would stick with oem, or at most find an aftermarket one that is only slightly lighter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Last two project cars that I also daily drove I had regretted two things, deleting the balance shafts and lightweight flywheel. I would stick with oem, or at most find an aftermarket one that is only slightly lighter.
Why is that? I'm still new to this platform and trying to figure out my own future plans as well (not trying to threadjack here l, just curious as the op)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Why is that? I'm still new to this platform and trying to figure out my own future plans as well (not trying to threadjack here l, just curious as the op)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
driving through parking lots or stop and go situations it was more finicky trying to find the smooth engagement point where you were revving up and letting out the clutch to go without being abrupt. It just felt like I had to give it more revs. And this was on two separate platforms, a SW20 mr2 turbo, and 2005 evo 8 gsr. For the evo, I opted for one that was middle of the road, it was only slightly lighter than oem and no where near as light as some options available, but even so it was noticeable worse to me.

It makes sense if you think about what a flywheel does, the more mass the more intertia it can store. BUT.... The ST is very torquey especially when you get youself aftermarket tunes, maybe a lighter weight flywheel on this platform can help make first gear more useable when you mod these cars?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Only experience I have with this is in my 1990 mustang and 2003 cobra. I was happy with the lighter flywheel in both of those cars. Maybe being a small 4 cylinder makes the difference

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
I put an Exedy solid flywheel and clutch in my turbo-4 cylinder outback and loved it. It was hilarious when my friend tried to move it and stalled 3 times in a row in front of some girls, he got out hanging his head in shame, lol. Compared to a dual-mass, you do have to be more accurate w/ clutch engagement, but as the owner that's a good thing, because you burn less clutch once you learn.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
STG 4 un-sprung with single mass lightweight fly wheel FTW! The single mass FW will make quite a bit of noise, just a heads up.

Gas, gas; release clutch; take off.:big smile:

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I still have the balance shaft part, thinking about putting that heavy ***** back in.

·
Administrator
11,899 Posts
driving through parking lots or stop and go situations it was more finicky trying to find the smooth engagement point where you were revving up and letting out the clutch to go without being abrupt. It just felt like I had to give it more revs. And this was on two separate platforms, a SW20 mr2 turbo, and 2005 evo 8 gsr. For the evo, I opted for one that was middle of the road, it was only slightly lighter than oem and no where near as light as some options available, but even so it was noticeable worse to me.

It makes sense if you think about what a flywheel does, the more mass the more intertia it can store. BUT.... The ST is very torquey especially when you get youself aftermarket tunes, maybe a lighter weight flywheel on this platform can help make first gear more useable when you mod these cars?
The ST is only torquey in boost. So with the LWFW I find myself having to keep the rpms higher for initial momentum, which then gets me into some boost once I load the car, which then likes to either launch or do burnouts depending on the situation. I also run a BSD. It's very finicky. The SPEC is the lightest flywheel for our platform iirc, it weighs nothing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input.

I run lightweight flywheel in everything I can. Mustang, maxims, etc. It's usually my favorite mod as long as there's no knock sensor issues. I'm not new to how to drive with them. I know some people hate them but I enjoy the way they drive and have the clutch control necessary to dd them.

This gave me the info I needed. Time to pick one and order!

Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i ordered that south bend stage 2 daily setup. good mix of lighter than stock but not crazy light.

Ordered a slave, 12 flywheel bolts (6 extrain case it needs removed. they were a buck. so just in case something gets messed up and it has to come off again)

hopefully mine lasts 2 weeks till the company mechanic is back lol.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
South bend for the win. I had their clutch and single mass steel flywheel in my 03' stage 3+ vw gti making 400 wheel. It was a sprung hub. A spring broke within their warranty period and they warranties the clutch and flywheel because the spring lodged between the disk and flywheel. Good clutch and good people. You will get a good amount of gear chatter at idle tho.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought the bsd was a big difference. I cant imagine what a aluminum flywheel would feel during acceleration. haha

·
Registered
56 Posts

Thanks guys.
Did you ever choose? I have BSD and Spec Flywheel.... It is effing chattery AF.... Drives me crazy. But I'll probably run the same setup when I swap the tranny..... if I didn't already have what I've got, I'd probably run the clutchmaster setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts