Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon these and I was telling the guy between his pricing and the way these look he needs to make some for the ST. I'd have to buy one! Anybody else?

LJs Wood Shop

·
Administrator
11,874 Posts
I stumbled upon these and I was telling the guy between his pricing and the way these look he needs to make some for the ST. I'd have to buy one! Anybody else?

LJs Wood Shop
Looks cool, but my boy Derrick at Anarchy Motive is the sole vendor that meets my shift knob weights and customization these days. So I will not stray anytime soon.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Holy crap those are cool looking!

I'd be down for one for sure. I assume these are wood over metal core threaded inserts? I drive aggressively and would hate to strip or break one in a few days. :(

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks cool, but my boy Derrick at Anarchy Motive is the sole vendor that meets my shift knob weights and customization these days. So I will not stray anytime soon.
These wood ones look good, but weight is an issue.

Having a hard time hearing back from Derrick. Been over a week with no contact after ordering.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I wish he had the ability to at least break the 250g range. I love the look, but I am concerned about how the wood venear holds up with Carolina heat and sun exposure. Then the question is how does spectra laminated products hold up to those conditions before the start to pull or warp.

Super neat though regardless, but after having this steel shift knob for a couple years, I dont know if I could drop 200+ grams on the shifter.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Having a hard time hearing back from Derrick. Been over a week with no contact after ordering.
Funny, I posted a request on his site about ordering one for a Focus ST with specifics and he got back with me early this morning saying he had no specs for the ST's shifter yet, but he was looking into it. Very quick turnaround!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wish he had the ability to at least break the 250g range. I love the look, but I am concerned about how the wood venear holds up with Carolina heat and sun exposure. Then the question is how does spectra laminated products hold up to those conditions before the start to pull or warp.

Super neat though regardless, but after having this steel shift knob for a couple years, I dont know if I could drop 200+ grams on the shifter.
I'm more worried about humidity than the heat, honestly. You never hear about wooden houses in the desert just coming apart, but you sure hear a lot about wood softening up or expanding and contracting because of rain and high humidity.

The weight could be resolved with a bigger steel (or even heavier material, like mallory!) insert that is to be threaded. That completely on the person making the knob though. Going from stock to this, many should be unaffected.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Already have the Steeda ST steel knob... not taking a few hundred gram drop for one. I just emailed the owner about seeing if he would be willing to look into a 300G insert and have it epoxied in the knob. If so then im totally sold. It looks like the STI and the ST are identical though on knobs! M12x1.25 is listed on the site for STI knobs... and M12x1.25 is also listed for ST knobs.

I'm more worried about humidity than the heat, honestly. You never hear about wooden houses in the desert just coming apart, but you sure hear a lot about wood softening up or expanding and contracting because of rain and high humidity.

The weight could be resolved with a bigger steel (or even heavier material, like mallory!) insert that is to be threaded. That completely on the person making the knob though. Going from stock to this, many should be unaffected.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Already have the Steeda ST steel knob... not taking a few hundred gram drop for one. I just emailed the owner about seeing if he would be willing to look into a 300G insert and have it epoxied in the knob. If so then im totally sold. It looks like the STI and the ST are identical though on knobs! M12x1.25 is listed on the site for STI knobs... and M12x1.25 is also listed for ST knobs.
Does the reverse lockout meet the same spec though? That's just the thread pitch and diameter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a wooden shift knob for awhile on my old Focus that I made in high school. I liked it but it was too light. It held up very well in Ohio's climate. It just needs sanded and refinished and it would be good to throw in another vehicle. In fact I used it for awhile in my 2012 Outback before I traded it in. Not sure where it is now off hand but I know I still have it.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Thats actually a really good question honestly.

Does the reverse lockout meet the same spec though? That's just the thread pitch and diameter.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Got an email back, he has no space in the knob once the knob threaded gromet is in, to add any weights, so looks like its a bust and I will not own one of those sexy hybrid knobs...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

He told me 3-4 weeks and it ended up being over 2 months. Settle in for a long wait.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As these sit, I don't think they will fit an ST. The main end opening is not large enough to accomodate the RL. But I'm just thinking if we show enough interest, maybe he'll do a batch for us Focus Fanatics.:big smile:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Wood is great choice. Cool in summer, warm in winter. Below is one I made on mini lathe.

3+ years on mine. Polyurethane is getting thin in some spots.

2014-07-30 09.03.01.jpg

This one is made of solid birch, threaded area reinforced with PVA glue. Brass insert would also work, but has not been needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
He told me 3-4 weeks and it ended up being over 2 months. Settle in for a long wait.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You're lucky.. I'm upto 4 months now from a 4 week ETA back in June lol.. at this stage I wont even own the same car by the time this bloody knob arrives.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wood is great choice. Cool in summer, warm in winter. Below is one I made on mini lathe.

3+ years on mine. Polyurethane is getting thin in some spots.

View attachment 280554

This one is made of solid birch, threaded area reinforced with PVA glue. Brass insert would also work, but has not been needed.
I glued an m12x whatever thread pitch nut into my knob. Didn't think about doing a brass insert. I also have a tap handle in one of my other vehicles and I installed a helicoil kit into the wood for better hold strength.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts