Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this section is kinda dead so if anyone else wants to link it on social media feel free (I don't use facebook, etc.) Anyways its been 6 years since i've had a running sports car and seeing how I live 20 minutes from the base of the mountains I have a love for some mountain road driving and plan to spend some more time up there this summer and would love to host an organized drive. I've got plenty of roads that are 80% of "The Dragon" with 20% of the traffic and could easily make an all day cruise out of crisscrossing the Blue Ridge Escarpment if there is some interest. We could expand it to the FiST and FoRS community as well. This would be a laid back but quick paced drive with some scenic stops thrown in while being low key in the towns and asshattery will not be welcome, been on to many cruises with that and I want no part of it, if you want to battle it out with someone you can do it on your own. Depending on the size we could find a restaurant to preplan a lunch at, grill out on a Blue Ridge Parkway or National Forest location or head back to my house and grill out and enjoy the pool and some cold ones. I would look into coming up with a T-Shirt as well, we always did them on our Xterra off-road trips and I like the idea. So if your interested let me know, any feedback or questions are welcome too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love that idea man , I've been trying to get a couple of GA guys to go to the mountain. I went up there with my roommate who also has at FoST and we had a blast. I am totally down for this idea . I am not on Facebook either so I am on here or on Instagram @Stu_st3 . Hopefully you can get more people . But I am down for sure , count me in

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live in CLT and I'm totally in. is this weekend too soon??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Count me in!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll start coming up with some ideas for dates, see if I can't spread the word some more. We would be leaving out from Liberty SC, about 2 hours from ATL, CLT and Cola

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm interested. I'm in Greenwood, SC, so a pretty easy trip to meet up in Liberty.

When I was at Clemson many moons ago, we hit the mountain roads occasionally. Lots of great options up there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If by chance I've got the day off work, I'd come out to drive. Located in the Greenville SC area.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rough draft v1.0 let me know what you guys think, we can skim some parts off to bring the time down if some of you feel is to long, but keep in mind googles timing is a bit off in the mountains at our pacing, I made the first leg in under 40 minutes yesterday while google times it at 59 minutes. Route is up US 178 east on US 64 up US 276 down NC 215 west on US 64 and down NC/SC 107 up SC 28 east on US 64 to up NC 107 then down NC 281/SC 130 ending in Clemson . The goal is to stay off of US 64 as much as possible since traffic sucks on it so there may be some shortcuts around it but this is the gist of the route i'd like to run. If you guys want to throw in more scenic stops and less driving we can shorten the US 276 NC 215 leg and cut across the Blue Ridge Parkway instead.

https://goo.gl/maps/Wa4ry2HAH2U2

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK still on for July 15th for anyone that wants to join in. Going to meet in the Ingles parking lot in Liberty - 429 E Main St. Liberty, SC 29657 (HWY 93) . I'd like to be rolling out by 8:30 AM so if everyone could make it in around 8 it will give us time to grab a biscuit, gas up and discuss the route and anything else.

I'm going to work on trimming the route down a bit this week and making it a bit more compact (take out 276 and add in some roads around 215/107) and flow better.

Final question to those interested in coming or planning on coming, would we rather end at
1. Say Beef O'Brady's in Clemson for an early dinner and some beverages and just brown bag a quick lunch/snacks.
2. End at my house and grill up some burgers and chill in/around the pool (In ground with an actual deep end).
3. Find a place to eat lunch in the mountains (Highlands/Cashiers area) and when we are done with the mountains we are done.

I don't use facebook at all so if you guys spread it around direct people back to these threads please.
I'd like to make this a pretty regular thing, had a tight driving group back in my B13 SE-R and 240SX days, would love to get it going again in the Focus world.

·
Registered
558 Posts
OK still on for July 15th for anyone that wants to join in. Going to meet in the Ingles parking lot in Liberty - 429 E Main St. Liberty, SC 29657 (HWY 93) . I'd like to be rolling out by 8:30 AM so if everyone could make it in around 8 it will give us time to grab a biscuit, gas up and discuss the route and anything else.

I'm going to work on trimming the route down a bit this week and making it a bit more compact (take out 276 and add in some roads around 215/107) and flow better.

Final question to those interested in coming or planning on coming, would we rather end at
1. Say Beef O'Brady's in Clemson for an early dinner and some beverages and just brown bag a quick lunch/snacks.
2. End at my house and grill up some burgers and chill in/around the pool (In ground with an actual deep end).
3. Find a place to eat lunch in the mountains (Highlands/Cashiers area) and when we are done with the mountains we are done.

I don't use facebook at all so if you guys spread it around direct people back to these threads please.
I'd like to make this a pretty regular thing, had a tight driving group back in my B13 SE-R and 240SX days, would love to get it going again in the Focus world.
As far as I know, I'm still good for the 15th. My first thought is to eat lunch in the mountains and call it a day when we're done. Traveling to meet up early will make for a long day and I'll be ready to call it a day by mid afternoon. However, I'm flexible.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Route version 2.0
https://goo.gl/maps/6Mhn2wrCA432

After doing some scouting i've come up with a way to keep us off of US64 for all but just a couple miles, this also leaves me a number of roads to use for runs at a later date because I would like to make this a regular FoST/FoRS thing.

For everyone that still plans on coming please let me know so I can get an accurate count and come with an idea for a food stop.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Route version 2.0
https://goo.gl/maps/6Mhn2wrCA432

After doing some scouting i've come up with a way to keep us off of US64 for all but just a couple miles, this also leaves me a number of roads to use for runs at a later date because I would like to make this a regular FoST/FoRS thing.

For everyone that still plans on coming please let me know so I can get an accurate count and come with an idea for a food stop.
Still planning to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dang was really hoping for a better turnout, these regional forums must get no traffic at all. Oh well fun will be had regardless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts