15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Focus st:

Awe exhaust
AFE intake
Vel. Tech big mouth
CFM RM
ESP IC

Recently had to change out Rear hub bearing.

Current issue:
When WOT in either 1st or 2nd the rpm will go to about 5k and the tc light blinks. and to no surprise its not really gaining much speed, if im in 2nd and do it the tc light blinks and its like the engine is bogging down at 5k rpm... it really sounds like it stuck or something, if i turn the ESC off it doesnt do it as often but you can still hear as if its bogging down. does not occur in 3rd-6th... I have taken it to a few shops and i get different responses... one said the transmission, the other is saying ECM, another says a wheel speed sensor... even though i have no codes no check engine light no abs light.

any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,516 Posts
To clarify - Is this a new issue since installing the rear hub bearing? Or was this going on prior?

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST2
269 Posts
If it’s something new then I would go inspect your work around the recently replaced hub. Did you take any sensors out of the hub? Wheel speed, abs, etc? If I ever remove a sensor from the hub I always replace the sensor.. they can be temperamental.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
So to clarify, you're accelerating with WOT in 2nd the car hits 5kRPM then the traction control light comes on and bogs?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,392 Posts
WOT in 1st or 2nd?
The system is behaving as it should with traction control turned on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So to clarify, you're accelerating with WOT in 2nd the car hits 5kRPM then the traction control light comes on and bogs?
If it’s something new then I would go inspect your work around the recently replaced hub. Did you take any sensors out of the hub? Wheel speed, abs, etc? If I ever remove a sensor from the hub I always replace the sensor.. they can be temperamental.
if thats the case ill have to have the shop i turned it into look at it

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I hold it down for the 5secs.. where you can see the bars increase until its off
If you don’t hold it until the second screen appears, then you’re not turning it off. There should be the “i” icon and car with squiggle icon lit when the long press is active (no TC, no stability control).

If TC light flashes, indicating TC is doing it’s job, then you’re not even in Sport Mode, where just TC is turned off. Sport Mode is enabled with a finger tap, not waiting for the screen to appear.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I've never tried using "sport mode". Does it make the driving experience better in some way? I understand that it limits or disables all or some of the electronic nannies, but is there any other reason to use it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you don’t hold it until the second screen appears, then you’re not turning it off. There should be the “i” icon and car with squiggle icon lit when the long press is active (no TC, no stability control).

If TC light flashes, indicating TC is doing it’s job, then you’re not even in Sport Mode, where just TC is turned off. Sport Mode is enabled with a finger tap, not waiting for the screen to appear.
yes im aware. i dont let go until i get to the second screen, then i get the I icon with the TC symbol

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,516 Posts
yes, i took it to another shop and theyre saying to check my throttle body for build up.. theyre saying if its getting stuck it will cause the uneven acceleration?
You'll be setting throttle motor circuit codes if there's an obstruction.

Are there any stability codes set?

I'd really love to see a graphing data stream of steering angle, yaw, and all 4 wheel speed sensors while this issue happens to get a better idea. Unfortunately that's only possible with a scan tool.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've never tried using "sport mode". Does it make the driving experience better in some way? I understand that it limits or disables all or some of the electronic nannies, but is there any other reason to use it?
I only ever push it once and never hold it. If you want a good idea what it's doing, go out in slippery conditions with the car and test the modes. I played around with it in a snow, makes you have to really pay more attention...more than I want on public roads at least. Pressing the button once gives me the wheel slip I can control but keeps the car more predictable otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
2,816 Posts
If you push more power you absolutely want it, if you have an LSD it’s also nice

stock turbo I never really noticed a huge difference

I always do one click, because I find the ESC is useful to have lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts