Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a local guy in the area that has his car what seems to be full Carbon Fiber. He has the hood, side skirts, doors, hatch and roof Carbon Fiber. It's been confirmed by another buddy of mine to be actual Carbon Fiber and not a wrap. Is there any benefits of significant weight or is it just for looks? He also seemed to have removed the rear seats and changed passenger and driver seat to some make of Bride seats. Looks great btw

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lightens the car and simultaneously lightens your wallet.
is it significant to we're its worth doing if you have the money? Like does it lower times dramatically?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Dramatically? No.
Going carbon fiber is more or less the last resort if you want to shave weight of your car.
If you want to make your car as light as possible, you should start with:
-get rid of your spare tire if you have one
-ripping out the rear seats
-removing carpets and insulation
-get rid of your audio system and air conditioning system
-replace the battery for a Li-Ion one
-forged lightweight wheels
-two piece brake-rotors

Once you have done all that and the still is too heavy, then you can replace body panels with carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I cant say i have seen any focus with a full CF roof or side doors. Those would have to be custom molds. The roof is probably the trickiest to do if they actually pried/cutoff off the old sheet metal vs just laying a thin cf sheet to cap the roof (later would just be purely cosmetic.) Weight savings on the hood varies, some of the ones out there are only a few pounds lighter than the oem ones, which some people go with for the venting they sometimes offer. The side skirts i cant see much weight savings from, they are plastic to begin with, so not heavy to start and having CF there is just for looks (dont need to be rigid or strong as one of CF's benefits are.) The rear hatch is probably a decent amount lighter though. Some might argue taking weight from the rear (if that was the only place you removed weight) wont always help as you start to make the weight balance even more front heavy.

Any pictures of the guys setup? Sounds pretty unique. Adding lightness is a great way to increase performance, would love to hear what their car weighs. If you ever see guy, you should try asking :)

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I cant say i have seen any focus with a full CF roof or side doors. Those would have to be custom molds.
Doors can be had from Anderson Composites, for 2800 per pair. So 5600 for front and rear doors, without installation of course.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
the weight difference is like even a few pounds... you want to drop weight for less money, remove extras from the car.

you want to look cool and drop a few lbs then sure go carbon.

the seats are SOOOOOO heavy in this car, get a carbon seat if you are worried about weight.

Oh and if you have a sun roof and go to a carbon roof that is a HUGE weight savings... the sun roof is legit heavy! the roof itself isn't heavy but going to carbon and removing a sun roof would be ideal. if you don't have a sunroof the savings is little.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Doors can be had from Anderson Composites, for 2800 per pair. So 5600 for front and rear doors, without installation of course.
:shocked: that is why i havent seen them lol jeez, some expensive pieces. Would be fun to chase lightness, if i had unlimited money it would be something to try (assuming unlimited money and i had to keep the ST lol)

They sell the roof too, TIL:
https://andersoncomposites.com/collections/ford-focus/products/2015-2017-ford-focus-dry-carbon-roof-replacement

11lbs weight savings over i assume the non-sunroof roof

22lb savings on the front doors
13.3lbs on the rear doors
They list the hatch at 13.1lbs but not how much the OE one weighs

Maybe a safe guess of those shaving 100lbs off the car for about $10k without taking into consideration installation costs

·
Registered
574 Posts
See how light the wallet becomes?

Personally, if I were aiming for lightness, replacing the glass with polycarbonate is cheaper than carbon fiber bits.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
For all the compromise of removing the seats and such, might as well make a speedster out of it—windshield cut down, no interior behind the front seats, all other glass gone plus the roof and door guts, and weld the doors shut and run a tube inside the doors from front to rear to tie the roots of the A, B, and C pillars together, probably another one laterally behind the front seats tied in to the rear strut towers with an X-brace. For aesthetics, you'd probably want to put a rear deck over the cargo and former back seat area. It would add some weight back, but marine ply under thin fiberglass with some under panel support wouldn't weigh that much (I have a 17' kayak constructed this way which weighs about 40 lbs. and that's got to be a lot more square footage than a cover). All that's cheaper than CF parts and would knock off a lot more weight even with bracing and cover. You'd have to hop in and out of the car, but that's an excuse to stay in shape . . . now that I'm thinking of it, you might as well remove the passenger front seat, too, as it's a rare partner you'll find who'll want to ride in a roofless car with no functional doors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts