Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Formally ST shopping. I live in a good area, but the car will be outdoors, my primary driver.

Looking for something effective, easy to install, makes starting the car much harder, or car harder to take.

In my old classic Mustang days, we'd pop the distributor cap and pull the rotor. Car was dead unless you had another. Looking for same thing. Easy kill on Fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Formally ST shopping. I live in a good area, but the car will be outdoors, my primary driver.

Looking for something effective, easy to install, makes starting the car much harder, or car harder to take.

In my old classic Mustang days, we'd pop the distributor cap and pull the rotor. Car was dead unless you had another. Looking for same thing. Easy kill on Fuel pump?

Get an accessport. One of the OTS tunes is Anti-Theft. You put in anti-theft mode and then take the accessport with you. Car cannot be started.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The car comes with a couple of good ones built in, its a manual and a focus. Both of those are low on theifs list of ideal cars to steal. They want super common, easy to get and blend in...thats not an ST :) I dont think i have read on here of any car thefts (maybe a repossession or two lol) Wont be easy without the key, not even sure its possible?

Now, smash and grab, aka trying to take stuff from inside the car is a different story. dont leave valuables or anything in sight when parked.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A simple thing to add to to your regimen is to keep your key fobs in an enclosed metal box when you go inside to prevent them being accessed by RF equipment that can link them to the car to allow it to start. It is said putting them in your fridge should work to block them if you don't have anything else. I haven't tried that, myself.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sadly the Focus, and the manual part makes it highly unlikely for it to get stolen. Focus = Sh*tBox and most low life dick heads don't even know that the ST is a performance model, let alone boosted....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
A simple thing to add to to your regimen is to keep your key fobs in an enclosed metal box when you go inside to prevent them being accessed by RF equipment that can link them to the car to allow it to start. It is said putting them in your fridge should work to block them if you don't have anything else. I haven't tried that, myself.
This is a bit tinfoil hat territory. You are assuming the average thief with the ability to grab RF data from a key fob would actively search out a focus owner to prey on? If they were able to spoof the RF from you key fob, that would only gain them access to the interior of the car, again, not able to steal it. Why bother unless you know that the owner has valuables inside the car? Just sounds very unlikely

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
This is a bit tinfoil hat territory. You are assuming the average thief with the ability to grab RF data from a key fob would actively search out a focus owner to prey on? If they were able to spoof the RF from you key fob, that would only gain them access to the interior of the car, again, not able to steal it. Why bother unless you know that the owner has valuables inside the car? Just sounds very unlikely
No, actually in the UK ST's are incredibly commonly stolen using the method he is discussing. It's so easy it's almost embarrassing that it's not protected against by Ford and others. There are surveillance videos demonstrating it...all you see if a guy walking up to your car...the lights flash (because he pressed unlock and it found your key fob inside your house and sent the signal)...and he gets into the car. Take seconds.

The only reason we are safer against theft here is that manuals are not nearly as common here. Doesn't mean there aren't still thefts of property (and some cars) related to these very easy to perform attacks. It doesn't take a genius to do, just some googling...plus they even tell you what kind of cars to look for because only so many cars have keyless entry fobs that are easily exploited.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
No, actually in the UK ST's are incredibly commonly stolen using the method he is discussing. It's so easy it's almost embarrassing that it's not protected against by Ford and others. There are surveillance videos demonstrating it...all you see if a guy walking up to your car...the lights flash (because he pressed unlock and it found your key fob inside your house and sent the signal)...and he gets into the car. Take seconds.

The only reason we are safer against theft here is that manuals are not nearly as common here. Doesn't mean there aren't still thefts of property (and some cars) related to these very easy to perform attacks. It doesn't take a genius to do, just some googling...plus they even tell you what kind of cars to look for because only so many cars have keyless entry fobs that are easily exploited.
Have any videos of this or news articles? I have only seen videos of higher profile cars like Tesla's being stolen. You could be right about in the UK, the focus is much more popular there

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
Have any videos of this or news articles? I have only seen videos of higher profile cars like Tesla's being stolen. You could be right about in the UK, the focus is much more popular there
Just a quick google find, which is unfortunately also 2 years old...but it's proof of concept at least:

Notice how the guy drives up and tests it...THEN parks and gets out real fast. Sucks how fast it happens

It's linked to this reddit post which has the attack described in the comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/5wrs8a

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
This is the one that came to mind immediately from the forum. Just had to find it https://www.focusst.org/threads/attempted-theft-of-my-focus-st-2-what-happened.104978/

Cheap insurance that's better than leaving your keys inside your fridge or microwave (the microwave btw will withstand even an EMP bomb attack) is this little pouch: https://silent-pocket.com/products/key-fob-guards?variant=35262824529

·
Registered
26 Posts
True but an Accessport set to antitheft would render the car inoperable even if the thief has RF scanners. I’d third the motion about getting an Accessport. As far as I know there’s no way to defeat it aside from someone getting a hold of your Accessport and then knowing how to use it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Came here for the manual transmission comments. Sad but so true. I'm afraid to give mine to a valet never mind being stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts