Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I was able to get a lot of inspiration and direction on how to go about installing a WMI kit from this forum. So I wanted to document the approach I used to install the WMI kit. Hopefully it will help someone else out!

I decided to go with the Snow Performance Stage 1 kit. My goal is to suppress knock, help reduce intake valve buildup, and lower intake charge temperature. I am not after a huge HP increase, but I will report back if there is any improvement in acceleration.

I thought about installing the WMI tank in the trunk, but I use this car a lot, and that would limit the utilitarian functionality of this car. So I will be using the windshield washer reservoir as the WMI tank.

Progress so far, I have made a bracket to hold the pump:

It's just some 1/4" flat plate welded into a rectangle shape. The support rods are actually some old Air Cooled VW cylinder studs I had left over from an engine rebuild. The washers are also from the ACVW Cylinder heads. They should be strong enough to support a WMI pump. Next I added some support rods (which are actually ACVW pushrods), some 1/4-20 threaded rod, and painted it:

After that I mounted the pump to the bracket and crimped on a weather pack terminal to the pump:

And finally I mounted it to the car:

That's all for now! Next I will drill the reservoir and add the self-sealing tank tap. Then plumbing and Damond Throttle body spacers, and finally...the wiring. Also I am kinda happy that some old VW Beetle parts made it on to a 2016 Focus :giggle: A small piece of my Bug lives on in a new platform.

· Registered
17 Posts
I picked up a Snow Performance Stage 2.5 kit and their Focus ST pump bracket but am otherwise doing the same as you. I need to get the washer tank fitting and decide on a check valve or solenoid and get started.

· Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,706 Posts
Where are you injecting? Throttle body?

The snow stage 2 + has better control IIRC.
I think the stage 1 is WOT only?

· Registered
174 Posts
Nice. Do you get a lot of snow/rain/road debris where you are? Just as a FYI, most pump manufacturers won't warranty your pump if you install it externally/outside of the car's interior. I winter drive my AEM pump equipped FoST and haven't had a problem (I have a aluminum shield around mine, which is mounted under the wheel wheel area) but a local acquaintance had his AEM pump fail and warranty denied mounted near where yours is in the first year.

· Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
1,034 Posts
I think the stage 1 is WOT only?
from snow's website:
"[it] uses a adjustable boost switch to inject a fixed amount of water methanol into the system until boost goes below the switch set point."
"Activation can also be set up through any other user chosen switch, such as a full throttle switch, nitrous switch, etc."

Red Exercise equipment Carmine Black Circle

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back! Almost a year later with an update! So If you didn't know, my cylinder head cracked.....in such a weird way. Long story shory, a crack developed in the exhaust port. Not in the combustion chamber, not a failed head gasket, a crack in the exhaust that would dump coolant into the turbo and catalytic converter. So, I installed 625+ head studs from speedperformance, got a new head from Ford, modified the downpipe to remove the factory "kink" before the cat, and got a GTX2867r Gen 2, mishimoto intercooler, and finally wired up the WMI kit lol. Stratified tuned it, and we were able to hit 366 WHP. Mind you this is with a factory intake and factory exhaust. Well....the exhaust has had the resonator deleted.

The teardown:
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system

Setting valve clearances on the new head:
Motor vehicle Font Engineering Auto part Automotive exterior

Installing the new head and turbo:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Car Automotive design

The Mishimoto intercooler:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Naval architecture Automotive tire Combat vehicle

On the Dyno at Specialty Z:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

And the results!
Computer Rectangle Font Parallel Personal computer

So, in conclusion. yes I do recommend the Snow Stage 1 kit haha! didn't think i'd have this much get in the way before I could finish the install!

Attachments

· Super Moderator
13,021 Posts
Back! Almost a year later with an update! So If you didn't know, my cylinder head cracked.....in such a weird way. Long story shory, a crack developed in the exhaust port. Not in the combustion chamber, not a failed head gasket, a crack in the exhaust that would dump coolant into the turbo and catalytic converter. So, I installed 625+ head studs from speedperformance, got a new head from Ford, modified the downpipe to remove the factory "kink" before the cat, and got a GTX2867r Gen 2, mishimoto intercooler, and finally wired up the WMI kit lol. Stratified tuned it, and we were able to hit 366 WHP. Mind you this is with a factory intake and factory exhaust. Well....the exhaust has had the resonator deleted.

The teardown:
View attachment 397264

View attachment 397266

View attachment 397267

View attachment 397268

View attachment 397269

And the results!
View attachment 397271

So, in conclusion. yes I do recommend the Snow Stage 1 kit haha! didn't think i'd have this much get in the way before I could finish the install!
Sorry about your cracked head, but glad you got everything back together better than ever. That head crack is not that unusual; we have had several members have the same crack in the exhaust.

· Super Moderator
13,021 Posts
Really!?! Does anyone have any good theories on what causes the crack to occur? And more important, is there a way to prevent it?
Several have happened on big turbo installs using the ATP adapter; it is a larger diameter than the exhaust port and allows exhaust gases to swirl at the juction causing the exhaust port/head to get too hot and crack. I would imagine that on factory turbo engines that cracks there it would also be from a overheating event.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
@ddfred covered the cracking with the ATP elbow, but my theory on the guys cracking the port with the stock turbo is related to heat and pressure from the restrictive stock turbo hotside and extreme pressure. And/or combustion events created by crackle tunes.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ddfred covered the cracking with the ATP elbow, but my theory on the guys cracking the port with the stock turbo is related to heat and pressure from the restrictive stock turbo hotside and extreme pressure. And/or combustion events created by crackle tunes.
Ok that makes sense, I was running a stock turbo and it cracked at 80,000 ish miles. When I pulled the turbo and saw how tiny and restrictive the factory setup is, I can understand extreme heat and pressure causing cracks.

· Super Moderator
3,196 Posts

The teardown:
View attachment 397264

View attachment 397266

View attachment 397267

View attachment 397268

View attachment 397269

And the results!
View attachment 397271

The ATP elbow claims another victim!

but forget all that you made 366WHP with a stock cat! Simply be removing the kink in the DP?! This is an incredible finding, you are probably the first person to fully test out how much power you can get through the stock catalyst.

This proves what many of us have believed for a while, which is that the catalyst itself is not the restriction, just the shape of the downpipe!

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well....I am not a victim of the ATP downpipe...yet :eek: I had the crack in the head while running the stock turbo. That turbo is extremely restrictive.

Regarding the downpipe, yeah, the shape of that thing is ridiculous.

I am a believer that running a cat on a street car is important. Race car is a different story. But for the street I think if we try to keep our cars a clean as possible, we might get to enjoy them longer...

Maybe i'm pessimistic but I think that it won't be long before gas cars are outlawed and EVs will be mandatory....Because we all know how great it is for the planet to mine cobalt, lithium, and rare earth magnets.... :rolleyes:

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
@slo.shoten
Theres a lot of info in this thread about the topic of the ATP elbow, especially page 34 and 35.

The custom elbow junits had made was made by a company that didnt seem too interested in making more. However, I'm currently working with a fabricator that will be building one and planning on selling them en masse. Hoping to hear back on the progress any day, speaking of. I'll try to keep everyone posted when mine is completed, the fitment is verified, and he begins building them off of the jig that he is making.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@slo.shoten
Theres a lot of info in this thread about the topic of the ATP elbow, especially page 34 and 35.

The custom elbow junits had made was made by a company that didnt seem too interested in making more. However, I'm currently working with a fabricator that will be building one and planning on selling them en masse. Hoping to hear back on the progress any day, speaking of. I'll try to keep everyone posted when mine is completed, the fitment is verified, and he begins building them off of the jig that he is making.
Any update on the production of these elbows?

· Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,620 Posts
Yeah... @michael_ST has been making and selling them for a year or so now, and a whole bunch of us have benefitted from his expertise as a fabricator. Get ahold of him.

Reactions: michael_ST
1 - 20 of 25 Posts