Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If under 1k is your budget and you just have to have coilovers, I would look at getting Megan Racing but the set that is spec'd for the Focus RS. If you've seen my build thread, then you know that I ran that specific setup for a bit of time, and I actually still have them as a backup for when I pull the FA's off for rebuild.

@gemery 's GC setup is a good one as well, but his front koni's are not regular off the shelf valving, so results will vary if you get standard off the shelf valving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If under 1k is your budget and you just have to have coilovers, I would look at getting Megan Racing but the set that is spec'd for the Focus RS. If you've seen my build thread, then you know that I ran that specific setup for a bit of time, and I actually still have them as a backup for when I pull the FA's off for rebuild.

@gemery 's GC setup is a good one as well, but his front koni's are not regular off the shelf valving, so results will vary if you get standard off the shelf valving.
There you go @ST1Dale sounds like Megan’s fit the bill for you.

@freakin_elrod I’m not 100% settled on needing fully adjustable coilovers just yet. I think I could probably get away with a koni/bilstein + spring or just height adjustable coilover like the B14. I think I have more research to do. Thank you all for your input!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Why not look at the STX or ST coilovers designed by KW (kw v1 is also an option) all in that $1k range give or take.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Just remember if you do look at KW or ST, find out what spring rates they use if you want to retain the natural balance of the FoST. If I remember correctly ST Suspensions uses a 400 lbs/inch up front and a progressive spring for the rear (not sure what the actual rate is as they dont list it)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Just remember if you do look at KW or ST, find out what spring rates they use if you want to retain the natural balance of the FoST. If I remember correctly ST Suspensions uses a 400 lbs/inch up front and a progressive spring for the rear (not sure what the actual rate is as they dont list it)
I think they choose not to share that info? So tough call and you have to rely on their word and their fancy shaker dyno. In the temple of vehicle dynamics: the KW 7-Post Rig

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Why not look at the STX or ST coilovers designed by KW (kw v1 is also an option) all in that $1k range give or take.
Yeah, I looked at those when I started this endeavor and had some concerns; rear spring rates are odd (found it listed at 185?), read about horror stories about getting replacements/warrantied dampers, and honestly didn't see any real glowing reviews of the STX.

At this point I think I've looked at every off the shelf kit for our cars available from $1k to $2k and still am pretty unsure what I'm going to choose. I think I'm leaning toward Bilstein B14 for a couple reasons; mostly decent reviews, warranty, height adjustability without dampening adjustment so I don't need to cut holes in the strut towers and the spring rates seem like an okay compromise for DD and occasional track use.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Koni has the best warranty. Bilstein is as bad as kw. All three are lifetime. But koni will actually crossship you a unit during your downtime.

You can get for a price, custom valved konis and you can also get custom spring rates via the ground control coil kit for konis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Koni has the best warranty. Bilstein is as bad as kw. All three are lifetime. But koni will actually crossship you a unit during your downtime.

You can get for a price, custom valved konis and you can also get custom spring rates via the ground control coil kit for konis.
For sure, but also the ST STX is only 5 year but also, per @freakin_elrod

I think you are supposed to go through the vendor which they are purchased from first, although I have gone through them directly in which I sent a bilstein 5100 for a truck back that was leaking and no longer rebounding properly. I had to purchase a new one from them at a reduced cost first and then they reimbursed me once the failed part was received.
Which leads me to believe that the Bilsteins aren't too hard to work with when getting replacements. I don't hate the idea of the Konis, cutting up the strut tower bar to adjust the rebound is a bit of a pain and not exactly what I'd like to deal with but they could be matched with the Swift R springs. The other option of Koni/ground control coilovers for $1600 is insane.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST3
686 Posts
Mountune Clubsport MRX
$1169 w/coupon shipped
Advertised 25/35mm drop (what’s actual?)
197/210 (197/103)

IDK man I got this used from a member here, still needed to settle with my setup and here is how it looks now, its way way lower than what they advertised, but I love it, needed to change my driving habits going into turns but its a solid setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Mountune Clubsport MRX
$1169 w/coupon shipped
Advertised 25/35mm drop (what’s actual?)
197/210 (197/103)

IDK man I got this used from a member here, still needed to settle with my setup and here is how it looks now, its way way lower than what they advertised, but I love it, needed to change my driving habits going into turns but its a solid setup.

View attachment 389049
Wow that is quite low, but it does look good! It's crazy to see the difference between the Konis and the Bilsteins with the same springs. What do you mean by changing your driving habits and does it rub?

Bilstein clubsports:

update:
wheels and tires on the car

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST3
686 Posts
I have a 255 size tire and when the car is thrown into a corner hard enough and for any reason the balance is disturbed it will rub.
I haven't played with the damper settings yet and I think the last owner told me he set it to 4th setting 5th click is the stiffest I believe. (will be doing that once all the suspension upgrades are done)

Doesnt rub during normal or spirited driving but then again I dont know how fast you go into a turn lol might not rub for you.

on my recent run up the mountain it only rubbed a couple of times and it was driver mod not the suspension.

Reactions: DarkSol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, I think I've gone full circle on this one. @freakin_elrod you mentioned the swifts and I've done a bit of research on them and they seem like a good contender. Did you like them a lot more than the Mountunes? I'm now trying to justify the ~$300 price difference haha.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Well, I think I've gone full circle on this one. @freakin_elrod you mentioned the swifts and I've done a bit of research on them and they seem like a good contender. Did you like them a lot more than the Mountunes? I'm now trying to justify the ~$300 price difference haha.
I used them mainly because they were slightly stiffer than what Mountune had to offer. I was happy with them but again my swap to coilovers was dictated by my need for a competitive/modular setup which the average user wouldn't need.

·
Registered
2017 ST
111 Posts
After reading all this I might just go with springs an call it a day geez lol mountune is legit an having them install it I’m sure they won’t let you drive out of there knowing your going to be rubbing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After reading all this I might just go with springs an call it a day geez lol mountune is legit an having them install it I’m sure they won’t let you drive out of there knowing your going to be rubbing.
Yeah, I think I'm with you on that. I've never had to choose a suspension set up that is a compromise for the street and within a tight budget so that's partially why this whole process has been PITA. I'm still hoping that someone who has had the B14s chimes in though, otherwise I'll just order the Clubsports and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I did just check out your build thread though; what’s your opinion on your latest GC set up? Good enough to DD?
It is good for daily driving, but probably not for your wife & baby. GC camber plates can make additional noises and my rear spring rate feels harsh over large abrupt edges or cobblestones. Ride is not jiggly, though.

For your family, a lower spring would be suitable. 450F & 600-650R (would need to check spreadsheet). Definitely big front swaybar and light rear swaybar with my spring rate bias.

Overall, though, @freakin_elrod has you on a path that is probably the best fit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It is good for daily driving, but probably not for your wife & baby. GC camber plates can make additional noises and my rear spring rate feels harsh over large abrupt edges or cobblestones. Ride is not jiggly, though.

For your family, a lower spring would be suitable. 450F & 600-650R (would need to check spreadsheet). Definitely big front swaybar and light rear swaybar with my spring rate bias.
@gemery Thanks for the reply! That's pretty much what I figured in terms of your setup. I'll be running Whiteline FSB and RSB what whatever Bilstein B8 damper and spring combo I choose. From everything I've read the B14 kit seems like a good compromise at 342/371 (I just called Bilstein to verify) Do you agree?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sounds good to me, though the front swaybar may be light. I need to start carrying my spreadsheet, LOL, because I can't remember the numbers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Sounds good to me, though the front swaybar may be light. I need to start carrying my spreadsheet, LOL, because I can't remember the numbers.
@gemery That's awesome that you have a spread sheet of all this info--knowing that you have that data would you say that the Mountune spring rate would be on the low side with those sway bars?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
@gemery That's awesome that you have a spread sheet of all this info--knowing that you have that data would you say that the Mountune spring rate would be on the low side with those sway bars?
With what I see in this thread for Mountune, the Whiteline front swaybars are okay (but not impressive). The Steeda +25% front swaybar would be about as large as the Mountune springs should have. In the rear, the Mountune springs should be paired only with light rear swaybars. Whiteline rear is rather aggressive by comparison and will generate a lot of wheel lift.

The B14 spring rates seem pretty good and will work well with the Eibach front & rear swaybars.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts