Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several of these and I think I've done my due diligence by reading probably 80 threads and many posts, so with that said; I'm updating my 2015 ST with 45k miles with (likely) a fixed damper spring combo or simple coilover. The biggest issue I'm currently seeing is that the Mountune Clubsport's only lower 15+ about 15/20mm instead of the advertised 25/35mm. It's been difficult to find any images of the Clubsports on 2015+ and does it settle a bit more after time? Also, are the B14s too rough?--I haven't seen too many reviews, some with preload problems (I suspect that the oem bump stops were used and not cut down) and that they are rougher on rough roads which I think is expected with that spring rate.

Requirements: comfortable for DD w/wife and baby for the next couple years, occasional track day, doesn’t really need to be adjustable, must survive winter, ~actual 1/1.375” 25/35mm drop and ideally ~$1000.

Stock spring rates: (w/ *.49 rear)
171/183 (171/90)

Mountune Clubsport
$944 w/ coupon shipped
Advertised 25/35mm drop (10/20mm actual)
197/210 (197/103) spring rates

Bilstein B14
$1036 shipped with top hats
25-50mm drop
340/370 (340/181) 6k/6k closest to stock ratios
-opinion; high spring rate + adjustability but worried that they’re too high of spring rates?

Mountune Clubsport MRX
$1169 w/coupon shipped
Advertised 25/35mm drop (what’s actual?)
197/210 (197/103)

Also, I'm about to throw on a set of Konig Ampliforms 18x8.5 +43 w/ Hankook RS4 245/40/18s... anyone running this combination with Clubsports? or are the Mountune lowering springs the same as the springs used in the Clubsport kit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I know there are several of these and I think I've done my due diligence by reading probably 80 threads and many posts, so with that said; I'm updating my 2015 ST with 45k miles with (likely) a fixed damper spring combo or simple coilover. The biggest issue I'm currently seeing is that the Mountune Clubsport's only lower 15+ about 15/20mm instead of the advertised 25/35mm. It's been difficult to find any images of the Clubsports on 2015+ and does it settle a bit more after time? Also, are the B14s too rough?--I haven't seen too many reviews, some with preload problems (I suspect that the oem bump stops were used and not cut down) and that they are rougher on rough roads which I think is expected with that spring rate.

Requirements: comfortable for DD w/wife and baby for the next couple years, occasional track day, doesn’t really need to be adjustable, must survive winter, ~actual 1/1.375” 25/35mm drop and ideally ~$1000.

Stock spring rates: (w/ *.49 rear)
171/183 (171/90)

Mountune Clubsport
$944 w/ coupon shipped
Advertised 25/35mm drop (10/20mm actual)
197/210 (197/103) spring rates

Bilstein B14
$1036 shipped with top hats
25-50mm drop
340/370 (340/181) 6k/6k closest to stock ratios
-opinion; high spring rate + adjustability but worried that they’re too high of spring rates?

Mountune Clubsport MRX
$1169 w/coupon shipped
Advertised 25/35mm drop (what’s actual?)
197/210 (197/103)

Also, I'm about to throw on a set of Konig Ampliforms 18x8.5 +43 w/ Hankook RS4 245/40/18s... anyone running this combination with Clubsports? or are the Mountune lowering springs the same as the springs used in the Clubsport kit?

Thanks!
I ran the Mountune Clubsports many years ago on a 245/40/18 Hankook RS-3 with an 18x8.5 +40 offset wheel, as well as 255/35/18 RE71Rs. I liked them but the need for much higher spring rates and more negative camber lead me to a full retard coilover setup from Fortune Auto..

From what it sounds like, you don't need anything adjustable height wise so either the Clubsport or the MRX sounds like a good fit.

Reactions: W4R and DarkSol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran the Mountune Clubsports many years ago on a 245/40/18 Hankook RS-3 with an 18x8.5 +40 offset wheel, as well as 255/35/18 RE71Rs. I liked them but the need for much higher spring rates and more negative camber lead me to a full retard coilover setup from Fortune Auto..

From what it sounds like, you don't need anything adjustable height wise so either the Clubsport or the MRX sounds like a good fit.
Hey, thanks for the reply! I actually ran across your build thread when I was researching the Clubsport and saw your setup with the bronze/gold wheels--the ride height does look good and pretty much what I'd want. I assume that was that after the clubsports settled a bit? Also, I understand the need for stiffer springs, I've been considering the B14s for mainly that reason (flatter through the turn), along with cost and the ability to get it just a tab lower. Additionally, I've picked up a wavetrac diff, new synchros and whiteline anti-sway bars front and rear. I guess this is getting less and less DD focused lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Correct. The car already had settled a bit when the 255's were thrown on. The main concern with the B14's is if you lower too much, inevitably you will be riding on the bump stop (not good) as the 340 lbs/in spring rate is still considered soft, something else to think about since your car does see some track use.

Reactions: DarkSol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Correct. The car already had settled a bit when the 255's were thrown on. The main concern with the B14's is if you lower too much, inevitably you will be riding on the bump stop (not good) as the 340 lbs/in spring rate is still considered soft, something else to think about since your car does see some track use.
Yeah, that's an interesting scenario, I have seen some having that issue but I don't plan to go lower than ~1.5" (38mm) ideally. I do suspect that some have been using the stock bump stop, I think Bilstein suggests not using it as it supposedly has an internal one. (I could be wrong) Additionally, 340 lbs/in seemed like a lot to me compared to the Clubsports 197 lbs/in but I think you're right--especially considering that Fortune suggested 400 lbs/in (7k) minimum for my application. Hmm more to consider I guess.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Mountune Clubsports = Bilstein B8's and some flavor or H&R or Eibach lowering springs.

Mountune MRX = Koni yellow adjustable struts, and the same above springs. These simply exist in the world since Bilstein had stopped manufacturing the B8's for more than a year, and Mountune had to shift to a "new product," to keep up with customer demand.

Bilstein B14's are valved like B8's, but in coilover form. You want the lows, but like the comfort of the B8 like setup.

Keep the above in mind, in that they are nothing special or unique or market leading.... But they are all solid entry level setups.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Even 7k is soft for this platform if your trying to lower more than an inch and use the car for any motorsport purpose. Lower more than an inch with soft rates and your going to be riding on bumpstops under cornering period. Honestly 8k front and 10k rear is where I would start at if you decide to go the coilover route. Its a good compromise of retaining the FoST's balance/motion ratio while not being completely undersprung.

Just as stated above, all of your choices are good entry level setups and you will probably be happy with them, so as long as you don't take them out of that optimum operating range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mountune Clubsports = Bilstein B8's and some flavor or H&R or Eibach lowering springs.

Mountune MRX = Koni yellow adjustable struts, and the same above springs. These simply exist in the world since Bilstein had stopped manufacturing the B8's for more than a year, and Mountune had to shift to a "new product," to keep up with customer demand.

Bilstein B14's are valved like B8's, but in coilover form. You want the lows, but like the comfort of the B8 like setup.

Keep the above in mind, in that they are nothing special or unique or market leading.... But they are all solid entry level setups.
Yep. All of that I have gathered from the initial research and is illustrated above^^^^. The mountune Clubsport B8s (and MRX) are actually using Eibach custom springs to Mountune specs. Just talked to the guys about it today and they are actually waiting on springs, something like 4-5wks.

My concerns are; actual ride height, spring rate and longevity of the Clubsports vs. the B14. I'm looking for a compromise that sits at about 1.5" of a drop, considerably more flat in the turns yet isn't harsh, ~$1000 and will last a couple winters. Hopefully that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yep. All of that I have gathered from the initial research and is illustrated above^^^^. The mountune Clubsport B8s (and MRX) are actually using Eibach custom springs to Mountune specs. Just talked to the guys about it today and they are actually waiting on springs, something like 4-5wks.

My concerns are; actual ride height, spring rate and longevity of the Clubsports vs. the B14. I'm looking for a compromise that sits at about 1.5" of a drop, considerably more flat in the turns yet isn't harsh, ~$1000 and will last a couple winters. Hopefully that makes sense.
Another option is using the Bilstein B8's or Koni's with the Swift Spec R lower spring (which I have also used on this platform before and was pleased with)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even 7k is soft for this platform if your trying to lower more than an inch and use the car for any motorsport purpose. Lower more than an inch with soft rates and your going to be riding on bumpstops under cornering period. Honestly 8k front and 10k rear is where I would start at if you decide to go the coilover route. Its a good compromise of retaining the FoST's balance/motion ratio while not being completely undersprung.

Just as stated above, all of your choices are good entry level setups and you will probably be happy with them, so as long as you don't take them out of that optimum operating range.
Thank you, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. Fortune Autos @ ~8k/10k seem to be well loved here.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thank you, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. Fortune Autos @ ~8k/10k seem to be well loved here.
The YCW's and Feal's are also a good options in terms of coilovers as well. Fortune Auto in recent years just started offering custom rear spring rates that utilized 2.25-2.50 ID springs. If you can spend the money, their 510 valving is worlds better than the valving that comes with their 500 series.

Reactions: Smokin' Joe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another option is using the Bilstein B8's or Koni's with the Swift Spec R lower spring (which I have also used on this platform before and was pleased with)
Swift Spec R
Spring rates:
Front: 4.5 kg/mm, 251 lbs/in
Rear: 5.0 kg/mm, 279 lbs/in

Seems a bit soft, no?

The YCW's and Feal's are also a good options in terms of coilovers as well. Fortune Auto in recent years just started offering custom rear spring rates that utilized 2.25-2.50 ID springs. If you can spend the money, their 510 valving is worlds better than the valving that comes with their 500 series.
Just went from a $1000 budget to a $2100 lmao. They are incredibly nice from what I've heard though.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Swift Spec R
Spring rates:
Front: 4.5 kg/mm, 251 lbs/in
Rear: 5.0 kg/mm, 279 lbs/in

Seems a bit soft, no?

Just went from a $1000 budget to a $2100 lmao. They are incredibly nice from what I've heard though.
Soft yes, if you compare it to a 6 or 7 inch coilover spring, but they are stiffer than the Mountune/Eibach's which are also regular lowering springs at roughly the same amount of drop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Soft yes, if you compare it to a 6 or 7 inch coilover spring, but they are stiffer than the Mountune/Eibach's which are also regular lowering springs at roughly the same amount of drop.
Sure, but do you think they are that much different in length compared to say the B14 spring? Also, I think I remember seeing some issues with the swift springs causing "saggy ass"--I'll have to look into those again. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Sure, but do you think they are that much different in length compared to say the B14 spring? Also, I think I remember seeing some issues with the swift springs causing "saggy ass"--I'll have to look into those again. Thanks!
I never saw the saggy ass syndrome when I had the swifts spec r's. I'm not sure what spring lengths Blistein uses on their B14's but all I know is that its some type of barrel spring that has a 2.25-2.5 ID on one end and opens up to OEMish size to utilize the stock hardware.

Reactions: jwoo6

·
Registered
*2016 Ford Focus ST
293 Posts
I’m going w these. don’t wanna pay to much for coilovers that aren’t going to be autocrossed. These seem just right for the price. Would’ve went with raceland ultimos but heard this and that about them. So Godspeed it is. Unless I find a better deal on something. Just been reading around what others have been using.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sorry, but If price is your only concern, then it will be satisfied with Godspeed, yet nothing else will. At least that’s what I found when searching for user feedback that wasn’t on a seller’s site. Shoot, even the site you linked has a single review & its only 2 stars...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m going w these. Not paying over 1k for coilovers that aren’t going to be autocrossed. These seem just right for the price. Would’ve went with raceland ultimos but heard this and that about them. So Godspeed it is. Unless I find a better deal on something. Just been reading around what others have been using.
View attachment 388995
That’s interesting, not really what I was looking for but thanks for the input!

·
Registered
*2016 Ford Focus ST
293 Posts
That’s interesting, not really what I was looking for but thanks for the input!
Yeah not necessarily the site in general but Godspeed coilovers I’ve heard was pretty good. But sorry yeah I’m looking still myself so who knows might spend over 1k.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, but If price is your only concern, then it will be satisfied with Godspeed, yet nothing else will. At least that’s what I found when searching for user feedback that wasn’t on a seller’s site. Shoot, even the site you linked has a single review & its only 2 stars...
I’m going w these. Not paying over 1k for coilovers that aren’t going to be autocrossed. These seem just right for the price. Would’ve went with raceland ultimos but heard this and that about them. So Godspeed it is. Unless I find a better deal on something. Just been reading around what others have been using.
View attachment 388995
gemery, I’m not quite sure why ST1Dale posted that in this thread but yeah not what I’m looking for. I did just check out your build thread though; what’s your opinion on your latest GC set up? Good enough to DD?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts