Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 2016 ST1 with 21k miles, will have owned it 2 years this October. Its not tuned but has some bolt on mods that add no power. I drove an RS on a humid morning, roads had some damp spots from on and off light rain. Drove the RS in sport mode the whole drive, no AC, windows half way down, moonroof tilted up. Im sure the dealer only puts 87 or 89 octane in their cars. I drove it about 20 minutes on a mix of city, country, and freeway roads. The ride is not stiff or jarring like i was expecting, very similar firmness to the ST. The clutch is super light, i have the assist spring pulled out of my car, but this clutch must be different altogether. The power was underwhelming which surprised me, it seems to have a slight bit more turbo lag, then it doesnt quite pull hard to redline, just like the ST. I found myself short shifting at 5500 rpm like i do in the ST. Now i got one good lauch from a stoplight, revved it to 4500rpm and dropped the clutch, it dug in and pulled hard no drama or fuss. I have not driven many AWD cars so not having the squealing wheelspin was odd and might i say anticlimactic lol. The grip powering out of the few corners i did was impressive. I just dont feel like the car was 100hp faster than the ST, i know its not broken in and its was running on lower octane fuel and it was a humid day. I had the same impression when i drove the new Camaro RS 345 hp V6, it did not feel that much faster either. I think with the ST's flat tourque curve and light curb weight plus, those front wheels desperately grasping for traction gives the impression of a faster car lol. If i had not already owned an ST i imagine the RS would have blown me away and i would be tempted to buy one, but i just dont think i would replace my focus for another focus. That AWD launch and better balanced handling just isnt worth it to me. Now i wait for all the RS owners to unload on me ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just bought a RS myself and felt the car was down on power initially. Initial road test felt like it was about as fast as my tuned ST. That being said now with 500 miles on it the car feels like it has 100 horsepower more than when I drove it home. I must say the heat neuters the car some. Runs great in the morning at 60 degrees and feels way down on power at 90 degrees.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What dealer did you test drive at? I'd like to avoid an RS that was run up through redline and launched prior to being broken in. ;) :D

All joking aside, there are multiple opinions on the subject of breaking in a car properly: Some say drive it like you stole it and don't look back. Others like to be gentle with the car for the first 500 to 1000 miles or so and then gradually get into the upper RPMs and full throttle situations.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What dealer did you test drive at? I'd like to avoid an RS that was run up through redline and launched prior to being broken in. ;) :D

All joking aside, there are multiple opinions on the subject of breaking in a car properly: Some say drive it like you stole it and don't look back. Others like to be gentle with the car for the first 500 to 1000 miles or so and then gradually get into the upper RPMs and full throttle situations.
I agree with you on the gentle break-in.

That's why I waited until my car had 1300 miles on it before my first Autocross :haha:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought a RS myself and felt the car was down on power initially. Initial road test felt like it was about as fast as my tuned ST. That being said now with 500 miles on it the car feels like it has 100 horsepower more than when I drove it home. I must say the heat neuters the car some. Runs great in the morning at 60 degrees and feels way down on power at 90 degrees.
And also this car did not have 93 octane in it, perhaps the RS motor needs some time to break in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What dealer did you test drive at? I'd like to avoid an RS that was run up through redline and launched prior to being broken in.

Well this particular white RS has been sitting on the lot for almost 2 months so i figured it needed some exercise. I think supply is starting to finally catch up with demand on these, at least in the non nitrous blue colors. I really think this car could be had for 1k under invoice! Tell them i test drove the snot out of it and you might get 2k off ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts