Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,440 Posts
SUV are larger and give more room for bigger batteries.

·
Registered
154 Posts
SUV are larger and give more room for bigger batteries.
Makes no difference when the people can't park them 🤣 especially in those charging spots. I like my wifes Honda Pilot for the times we have taken road trips and we were all (family of 4) comfortable even with luggage/gear in the back. Don't need to go bigger than the Pilot and myself and my wife can still park it INSIDE the lines than most SUVs I see out there. As for hatches, I would have loved to have gotten my hands on the Corolla GR but at only 6000 for the first year I won't ever pay gouged out prices for them. It (corolla gr) looks way better (IMO) than the yaris. But that's just what my 2 cents used to be worth...inflation killed 2 cents 😆

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,129 Posts
Writing was on the wall the moment they introduced Kona N.

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
By all accounts, the Elantra N is a worthy and in some cases even better replacement... It's not a hot hatch, which sucks, but it is an affordable, track focused FWD economy car.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
By all accounts, the Elantra N is a worthy and in some cases even better replacement... It's not a hot hatch, which sucks, but it is an affordable, track focused FWD economy car.
But skip the manual as the dct was given more power. DCT is quicker, but not just because of the dct. Savage Geese did a drag race with the newest Civic Si, Elantra N, GTI, and WRX, all with manual transmission… Elantra fared poorly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
But skip the manual as the dct was given more power. DCT is quicker, but not just because of the dct. Savage Geese did a drag race with the newest Civic Si, Elantra N, GTI, and WRX, all with manual transmission… Elantra fared poorly.
I think it was them that also did a drag race between the manual and automatic 400z's, with the manual doing really poorly in that race too. For the Z, they said that they had to change the gearing of the manual to try to keep the exhaust sound levels below legal thresholds. I wonder if they had to do the same thing for the Elantra N? Or if it was just a poorly designed system.

·
Super Moderator
11,795 Posts
For the Z, they said that they had to change the gearing of the manual to try to keep the exhaust sound levels below legal thresholds.
I don't doubt this for a second...makes perfect sense that they would make the expensive gear change to facilitate sound rather than add a reasonably priced resonator/muffler...common sense is becoming an illusion.

·
Registered
2018 HPR ST1
323 Posts
I don't doubt this for a second...makes perfect sense that they would make the expensive gear change to facilitate sound rather than add a reasonably priced resonator/muffler...common sense is becoming an illusion.
Today's engineers are borderline retarded.

·
Registered
2016 ST2
264 Posts
It’s the opposite. The muffler is bigger on the manual because of how the testing procedure is done. Nothing stupid about the engineering on Nissan’s side. The test is outdated.

info:

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
964 Posts
Remember folks, these vehicles are designed around government regulations and marketing gimmicks, not around making actually good cars. They are 100% made to do well on tests regarding emissions, sound levels, etc. and to look good on paper. Real world results don't sell cars.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,557 Posts
Azure Font Screenshot Electric blue Document

This is absolute fact. The GM for the Hyundai dealer I worked for would cancel auto-generated orders if they had manual transmissions or were sporty lines.

Whenever he would miss one and it would show up, it would get stuffed to the back of the lot to die. When I asked him why his answer was "they never sell". Of course they don't! Not when you hide them in the back and never bring them up at point of sale!! There was a fully loaded Veloster turbo manual that showed up one time (white with black leather interior, really nice car) and it sat in the back row by the woods until someone found it online and came and got it from Tennessee.

Now as far as the Veloster N, we only ever got one at a time and if they didnt already have a buyer, it would get put up in the showroom. Of course I can't speak for what happened to them after I left after 2020 but that was the only exception.

I will say that I'd never consider owning a Veloster due to the 3 door design so I'm very happy that they moved the drivetrain over to the Elantra and it's going to live on there. That new Elantra is a really nice car, totally fresh from the ground-up.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
View attachment 405795

This is absolute fact. The GM for the Hyundai dealer I worked for would cancel auto-generated orders if they had manual transmissions or were sporty lines.

Whenever he would miss one and it would show up, it would get stuffed to the back of the lot to die. When I asked him why his answer was "they never sell". Of course they don't! Not when you hide them in the back and never bring them up at point of sale!! There was a fully loaded Veloster turbo manual that showed up one time (white with black leather interior, really nice car) and it sat in the back row by the woods until someone found it online and came and got it from Tennessee.

Now as far as the Veloster N, we only ever got one at a time and if they didnt already have a buyer, it would get put up in the showroom. Of course I can't speak for what happened to them after I left after 2020 but that was the only exception.

I will say that I'd never consider owning a Veloster due to the 3 door design so I'm very happy that they moved the drivetrain over to the Elantra and it's going to live on there. That new Elantra is a really nice car, totally fresh from the ground-up.
I've got some friends at a Toyota dealership, one that used to be the GM of a subaru dealership and a buddy and a Honda and Ford dealership. All of them except the subie guy said the same thing you did. They would push manuals to the back of the lot because "no one buys them".

Almost like hiding things away at the back of the lot is a good way to never sell the car. Are they not selling because people don't want them or because you don't want to sell them?? The guy at the Ford dealer said they have to basically bully their boss into carrying the freaking Mustang in a manual on the lot. Of all the cars people might want in a manual, the Mustang is the one.

·
Super Moderator
7,557 Posts
I've got some friends at a Toyota dealership, one that used to be the GM of a subaru dealership and a buddy and a Honda and Ford dealership. All of them except the subie guy said the same thing you did. They would push manuals to the back of the lot because "no one buys them".

Almost like hiding things away at the back of the lot is a good way to never sell the car. Are they not selling because people don't want them or because you don't want to sell them?? The guy at the Ford dealer said they have to basically bully their boss into carrying the freaking Mustang in a manual on the lot. Of all the cars people might want in a manual, the Mustang is the one.
It's so sad. Another reason to get rid of dealerships and only have direct sales from manufacturer.

Only have corporate owned service departments where you'd pick your car up and get it serviced.

·
Registered
154 Posts
View attachment 405795
I will say that I'd never consider owning a Veloster due to the 3 door design
I agree 100%. My co-worker has a veloster N and while it is a fun car to drive/ride in it's not comfortable in the back seat and the 3rd door is not meant for people access...more like storage access. My co-worker admitted that my ST backseat is more comfortable and useable than his veloster backseat.

Of all the cars people might want in a manual, the Mustang is the one.
Except for those who don't know how to shift. Another co-worker of mine went through two mustangs recently. The first one was a manual and while he could drive it he would often say "the automatic shifts faster". I told him "true, but that just means you need more stick time". He sold that mustang and got another (1 year newer) with the auto trans and he now says "this is the transmission that everybody is swapping to." Now, I'm not saying the manual is faster than an automatic, but I have seen some drivers with a manual blow away an automatic driver so there's always the driver factor.

At the end of the day, manual transmissions and capable manual drivers are becoming rare. I'm glad I know how to drive a stick. Heck, I first learned how to drive when I was 12 on a manual 5 speed on back country roads. Would not have it any other way.

·
Registered
2018 HPR ST1
323 Posts

I spent about 3 months searching for an ST. I ended up at autonation toyota. Sales guy said they couldnt get rid of the ST because it was a manual. It was there for 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
7,557 Posts
I spent about 3 months searching for an ST. I ended up at autonation toyota. Sales guy said they couldnt get rid of the ST because it was a manual. It was there for 6 months.
Surely price didn't have anything to do with them sitting on it, though...

Reactions: ezeefpv
1 - 20 of 30 Posts