Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I live in Austin Texas and bought my 2013 Red ST with 33,800 miles on it about two weeks ago.
My prior car was a brand new 2004 MSM that has been modified to the point that it is a track car only.
I do not want to go that far with this car as it is my daily driver that I put 20k a year on.
However, I do want SOLID advice on what mods I can do that will increase efficiency and power while not compromising longevity.
My current thinking is Cobb Accesport, because they are tried and true and local, (please don't tell me turbos aren't temperature and altitude sensitive), intake and exhaust.
Probably a short throw shifter, and if needed, a better FMIC.
At some point I will be asking about tires, because the Goodyears are great, but a 240 treadwear is tough to swallow. Do not, however, want to compromise performance and seriously do not want some rock hard 600 treadwear tire.
I love the car, but am not impressed with the power delivery.
I am welcome to any good advice!!

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Welcome! The short throw and new bushings for the shifter and transmission makes things much nicer when shifting. With a tune and the heat in TX you are probably going to need a FMIC more than ya think!

·
Registered
163 Posts
definitely upgrade your intercooler, get a cobb accessport. a cold air intake wont get you much power, but it does provide some nice sounds. cat back exhaust also will not provide much of a power gain, but again the sounds are nice. you will gain some power by switching to a 3" downpipe. the cobb tunes are good and safe, but if you want more power look to stratified tuning, or being that youre close to cobb they could do a pro-tune for you when youre done modding. as far as tires, i plan on trying out the firestone firehawk indy 500s as they have been compared to the michelin pilot sports and are much cheaper. good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much Grass gentlemen!
Definitely the answers I was looking for.
Everything lines up well for what I was thinking. Now, if I can get my father in law to make a nice intercooler and separated gases downpipe, we should be in business. Biiss, info is spot on. I do want a better sound than stock with some nice burbling back pressure, so if you guys have a good recommendation for cat back, I will look more deeply into them.
I've raced with the Cobb boys and they are great, so it looks like an Accessport will be the Christmas gift of choice.
LL33, you like your boomba shifter? Is it easy enough for daily use? Sorry, my car does a lot of traffic time, so that's important.

Cheers
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts