Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello its me again, the guy with a bunch of car issues.
Lets get right to the issue (yes, another) here, the car had the rear meal seal replaced, I had the tool to correctly put it in, uninstalled & installed that fat b!tch tranny back in; reconnected all electrical connections. The ST powers up; i hear the little jingle it makes upon power up then stops short, on my screen it begins to say ENGINE FAULT then HILL ASSIST FAULT.
Battery is new (third one) so no issue there. All grounds tightly bolted down.
Would there be a ECM malfunction? (this is possible)

My mechanic friend and I spent 2 days trying to figure it out before I called a tow truck to take her away.

Someone said my timing might still be off, another said that the Tune I received from a reputable tuner was messing it up. (I highly doubt, however still could be suspect)

Thank you for reading! Hope this topic is in the right place.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Shut off your hill assist first and see what happens.
Edit:
I've just seen this issue with a buddies ST which came in with some of the same problems and a reputable tuner.
Issue fixed by turning off the HSA.
Still have problems with the high boost tune making a noise behind the glove box though.

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edit:
I've just seen this issue with a buddies ST which came in with some of the same problems and a reputable tuner.
Still have problems with the high boost tune making a noise behind the glove box though.
So far this is the best piece of information i've recieved in 3 weeks. Thank you @ST_Fan, i'll call up the dealer and let them know.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edit:
Why would hill-assist be causing the car not to start? (car powers up but no crank, nothing)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Any other thoughts? Suggestions? or did he hit the nail right on.
I recommend TRYING his idea first and foremost then reporting back to see if we should brainstorm any more possible ideas. The hill assist is screwy and almost got me killed once. It has been turned off since literally as soon as I got in the vehicle and the salesman was removing the dealer sticker while I started the car. The time it almost killed me was after I reset my KAM and didn't realize that I had to re-disable it. Also, try resetting your KAM? I'm sure it won't do anything, but it's one of those "doesn't hurt" things.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Why would hill-assist be causing the car not to start? (car powers up but no crank, nothing)
Our car has ridiculous amounts of sensors and fault codes. If something doesn't work properly the car refuses to work entirely some times. If the hill assist fails I could see the car not starting to protect people against malfunction causing them to be in danger.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our car has ridiculous amounts of sensors and fault codes. If something doesn't work properly the car refuses to work entirely some times. If the hill assist fails I could see the car not starting to protect people against malfunction causing them to be in danger.
At first we though the Anti-theft was on.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
KAM was 2nd thing that was tried.
I forgot to mention the OBD II port was not working, couldn't even get a scan.
At first we though the Anti-theft was on.
Interesting...are you sure you didn't miss ANY plugs? It literally sounds like your computer is bricked or something if you can't get into OBDII...I'd be right into a Ford dealership if it were me. Even if it costs a lot of money I'd say it isn't worth making it possibly worse.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Posting my PM reply. In the forum:

I'm doing a search. I remember a couple years ago a guy had the same problem. I think computer swap fixed it. Another guy had a bad port I can't remember the exact reason but thinking ground.
Anyone remember this back in 2013-14?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Interesting...are you sure you didn't miss ANY plugs? It literally sounds like your computer is bricked or something if you can't get into OBDII...I'd be right into a Ford dealership if it were me. Even if it costs a lot of money I'd say it isn't worth making it possibly worse.
Yah its been at ford for a good three weeks now. I have not gotten any calls saying its ready to be picked up. 100$ an hour for diagnosis. I dont understand how the ECU could have any damage, battery was unplugged and removed without anything breaking. Car had no issues after the main seal was replaced.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Edit:
Ok so I got a call, they THINK its the PCM.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So only thing I can think of that destroyed the PCM would be static discharge to the ECU. Now we leaned against the car to unbolt everything so static would have been non-existent. How would this be a factor?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
So only thing I can think of that destroyed the PCM would be static discharge to the ECU. Now we leaned against the car to unbolt everything so static would have been non-existent. How would this be a factor?
You may never know the exact reason. This has happened to other ST's on this forum.

Is there a separate PCM ECU. My understanding was they are the same thing? At least on this car since there's no TCM.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes on this platform I believe its the same thing. I'm just so damn baffled to why this could even be an issue? Only few things could damage this part, and the precaution that I (we) took to prevent this was taken care of.
rubber gloves, rubber sole shoe, careful placement of tools to bolts, we didn't just savagery take this car apart.
Thanks for brain storming with me. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Edit:
UPDATE: PCM went bad. Cost to fix 2,800$

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
UPDATE: PCM went bad. Cost to fix 2,800$
Get one from a junk yard. I believe some of the tuners have them also.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts