Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to Red anodize my cp-e intercooler. Two questions if anyone knows:

1. Is there any reason that anodizing would reduce the performance of the unit? It's such a thin treatment I'm thinking it should be fine, but if someone with experience could confirm..

2. Should I make sure they do not allow the treatment to enter the internal portion of the unit - to seal the ends before dipping?

Thanks for any helpful info.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm looking to Red anodize my cp-e intercooler. Two questions if anyone knows:

1. Is there any reason that anodizing would reduce the performance of the unit? It's such a thin treatment I'm thinking it should be fine, but if someone with experience could confirm..

2. Should I make sure they do not allow the treatment to enter the internal portion of the unit - to seal the ends before dipping?

Thanks for any helpful info.
I come from a cryogenics field and thermal transfer is paramount in our industry. Anodizing doesn't diminish thermal transfer, at least not at an appreciable level. All my jobs that require anodizing parts passed all with flying colors. It'd be impossible to get inside the intercooler so yea you'd wrap the ends.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I come from a cryogenics field and thermal transfer is paramount in our industry. Anodizing doesn't diminish thermal transfer, at least not at an appreciable level. All my jobs that require anodizing parts passed all with flying colors. It'd be impossible to get inside the intercooler so yea you'd wrap the ends.
Excellent info - thanks! I'll post the car when the Red intercooler is installed. I think the Red intercooler with the black car is gonna look good!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anodizing will have virtually no effect on the intercooler, in fact if you anodize it black the performance actually increases.

Now to the anodizing aspect, it's important to know what CP-e uses as aluminum and also what tig welding rod they use too. If the tig welding rod has to much silicone it it the weld will not have the same cosmetic appearance. Tig welding rod in 4043 has a higher silicone percentage so it doesn't anodize well, but if the intercooler is welded with 5356 rod it will be just fine. These are the two most common tig welding rods used with aluminum so it's more than likely one of these.

·
Registered
421 Posts
FWIW Levels now offers their FMIC's anodized.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anodizing will have virtually no effect on the intercooler, in fact if you anodize it black the performance actually increases.

Now to the anodizing aspect, it's important to know what CP-e uses as aluminum and also what tig welding rod they use too. If the tig welding rod has to much silicone it it the weld will not have the same cosmetic appearance. Tig welding rod in 4043 has a higher silicone percentage so it doesn't anodize well, but if the intercooler is welded with 5356 rod it will be just fine. These are the two most common tig welding rods used with aluminum so it's more than likely one of these.
I was actually planning to drop it off at a local anodizing facility this morning when I remembered that CP-e actually coats their intercoolers with something that almost looks to be aluminum paint (best way to describe it). So I'm not sure I can even anodize this intercooler...? Is anyone familiar with this coating they put on and whether it will prevent me from doing this? I fear my idea just went down the crapper...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was actually planning to drop it off at a local anodizing facility this morning when I remembered that CP-e actually coats their intercoolers with something that almost looks to be aluminum paint (best way to describe it). So I'm not sure I can even anodize this intercooler...? Is anyone familiar with this coating they put on and whether it will prevent me from doing this? I fear my idea just went down the crapper...

It's probably powder coated as that's relatively inexpensive and common among alot of intercooler manufacturers. My Mishimoto J-line intercooler is powder coated aluminum/silver color. I emailed them to verify this and they confirmed it as I also was contemplating anodizing my unit black instead of the silver powder coated color.

Edited for: You can have the intercooler's powder coating stripped off by either abrasion techniques (media blasting) or have it chemically removed). I'd estimate that would cost you probably around $100 for that.

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
I believe it's their Titan coating. It holds up really well. My entire exhaust it also coated in the same stuff. Pretty easily to clean just from dealing with my exhaust tips.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey! I come from the computer building world where anodizing parts is pretty awesome. Do you plan on anodizing it yourself? Do you have a local place that does it? Just curious what your plan is for anodizing?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cp-e wrote back to me and they claim that their Titan coating is 100% stainless steel. They say it can be anodized. As long as my local anodizing shop agrees I'm going to give it a try. I really want to see that red FMIC behind that black grill!

One thing is - there is "cp-e" spray painted on the front. I assume I need to get that off first.

Reactions: trackhermit
1 - 12 of 12 Posts