Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a thread specifically for Android Auto yet, so here it is.

Now that most people that are going to do the update have done it, what is your experience so far?

I've noticed that I have to wait until Sync3 loads to plug my phone into the USB, otherwise the dash screen won't switch to the Android Auto interface.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I usually plug my phone in before I start the car...I have an issue with the android auto app wanting to open on my phone after turning the car off and unplugging it..made me butt dial my wife one day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thing:

I'm using the USB port in the center console. The charge rate is pretty slow, not able to keep up while running Android Auto.

Do the new ports that the Apple Carplay folks have to buy have more capacity for charging? Do they still work with Android Auto?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hit or miss if my phone syncs up when I plug it in. Nexus 6 running Nougat. Does Android Auto not support pairing with the phone via wifi? The only apps I've tried so far are navigation and spotify. Anything else worth using?
Mine seems to work now when plugging in before startup.

Waze is the highly anticipated app for AA, in beta testing for compatibility now.

The AA page in Google playstore had a list of the compatible apps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can I get Android auto? I have a 2013 focus st3 and a Google pixel
Pretty sure you need Sync3.

See post above for the link on upgrading.

Four all the trouble, I'd look into going to an aftermarket Android Auto system like Pioneer makes (if it fits).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Since this is Android Auto related...
Has anyone figured out how to get Waze to work?
I can get it to come up, and it will track for about 15 seconds, and then my phone screen will turn off, and the map stops updating. If I wake the phone up, then waze starts updating.
It is frustrating.
I tried to get my phone to stay on, but when AA starts up, it takes over, and the screen timeouts after 15 seconds...
I even tried a program called "keep screen on" and that failed to work...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
593 Posts
So I just updated my Sync 3 for android auto, but the android auto screen will not stay on in my car....how can I fix this?

It works on my phone just fine, and when I plug it in, it will come up for just 2 seconds then go back to the default sync 3 screen

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
Since this is Android Auto related...
Has anyone figured out how to get Waze to work?
I can get it to come up, and it will track for about 15 seconds, and then my phone screen will turn off, and the map stops updating. If I wake the phone up, then waze starts updating.
It is frustrating.
I tried to get my phone to stay on, but when AA starts up, it takes over, and the screen timeouts after 15 seconds...
I even tried a program called "keep screen on" and that failed to work...

Any ideas?
Sounds like a phone issue. My Waze works perfectly with my Galaxy S8+. One key thing you need to do on your phone is add your Sync BT connection as a "Trusted Device" in the Android settings. This will allow the phone to update when the screen is off, as it will keep the phone from locking when connected to Sync. What kind of phone do you have?

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
So I just updated my Sync 3 for android auto, but the android auto screen will not stay on in my car....how can I fix this?

It works on my phone just fine, and when I plug it in, it will come up for just 2 seconds then go back to the default sync 3 screen
Did you go through all the EULAs on Android Auto on your phone first before connecting? There are quite a few screens you need to accept first before AA will actually work.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Did you go through all the EULAs on Android Auto on your phone first before connecting? There are quite a few screens you need to accept first before AA will actually work.
Yes, so I restarted it completely (deleted and downloaded the app again, reconnected my phone, so on) I found that the Car screen only works when I plug it into the USB in the center console. I guess it was my mistake and maybe they did that for a reason? Phone screen works while plugged into the front USB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts