Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just wanted to share some "done" pics:

Note: the color of the carpet is different in tone from the rest of the trunk factory carpet, but to the eye this isn't apparent.

With the hide panels pulled

Just some color options (remember I'm taking pics in daylight here)

With the top panels pulled off

The sail panels all done and cleaned up

Shot of the TM65's mounted

Battery setup

That's it for this one, moving on to my father's Vette in a few days.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Looks fantastic! I like that you kept the POS cable in the red techflex. The sail panels look good. Are the tweets set up to be on-axis? They look to be firing slightly forward of the seated position.

Masterful job, sir. I hope the owner loves it!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you, yes I wrap all my cables in techflex for a number of reasons, one is for the look but another of course is abrasion resistance. I was quite miffed that I had to run all the way around but the turbo is back there and that back section gets really hot, without much of a solution except possibly I could have run conduit under the car or something. Of course the underside of a Speed3 is largely plated with aero panels.

The tweets are not on axis. To so so would have presented several problems but it was experimented with. Main problem is space, as the tweeter I'm using here is quite big. In order to bring them more on-axis, I'd be forced to make the sail much larger, to the point of possibly being a nuisance while driving. The backside of the tweeter is the issue, it is quite deep. If I were doing it again, I'd have put them about 5-10 degrees more on-axis to try to compromise. There are two things that came to my favor with using these tweets off-axis though. They were designed with a waveguide, which is why they are so large. This waveguide helps off-axis performance dramatically, and the remaining slight dip in high frequency output caused by the off-axis LF tweeter was compensated for during MS-8 calibration. You can hear it distinctly when the processing is defeated, so it is doing a good job. Luckily for me, these tweeters dig really low and sound good doing it, so off-axis performance with the mid and the tweeter is phenomenal. When you keep a speaker operating below its beaming point and therefore operating largely omni-directional, there should be no appreciable loss of performance with the speaker off-axis. Despite the big size of the tweeter, the operational dome is relatively tiny, so the beam point is in the 10k region. Check out Mark's work on these awesome things, I wish they were available (they were part of a limited run...for now) because I'd use them on every build I work on, if I could. A tweeter with XBL tech (aka tons of excursion and frequency response), crazy!

Mids need 3X the power, though. Still frustrated about that with this build. It is pissing me off how the mids' power clips and distorts before the sub or tweeter even start to complain.

Looks fantastic! I like that you kept the POS cable in the red techflex. The sail panels look good. Are the tweets set up to be on-axis? They look to be firing slightly forward of the seated position.

Masterful job, sir. I hope the owner loves it!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts