Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
This interesting quick little read I happened across while conducting an experiment on increased fuel trims due to higher E content makes a few good points. If modifying our current commercially available fuels with higher ethanol content (over the advertised "up to 10%") reduced dangerous polluting chemicals, increased performance (efficiency) and helps to stretch a precious resource why the increased push to EV? We are struggling with our infrastructure as it is.

But we still have land for growing...

View attachment 405515

View attachment 405516
Ethanol blends have been a matter of scientific debate from way back, with the carbon footprint being one of the main bones of contention.

In 2006 a Berkeley team found that corn ethanol blends were better than gasoline, but not by much, comparing corn to cellulosic ethanol (produced from non-edible botanical biomass such as corn stalks, switchgrass, wood, and so on), where cellulosic ethanol has a lower impact. They encouraged technological development in the latter area, where enzymes are necessary to break down the plant fibers: cellulose, hemicellulose, lignins, and so on, into fermentable sugars. Engineered fungi have been used to produce cellulase enzymes capable of hydrolyzing these plant polymers and structural components rapidly enough to make this method practical. Another method is acid hydrolysis. Specially engineered yeast have also been developed that secrete the enzymes to break down the fibers and then ferment the resulting sugars. Bacteria have also been used.

Ethanol from corn is still the most widely produced.

Since the Berkeley study, there have been many more that either support corn ethanol blends or condemn them:

I'm sure the final word has yet to be written...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ethanol blends have been a matter of scientific debate from way back, with the carbon footprint being one of the main bones of contention.

In 2006 a Berkeley team found that corn ethanol blends were better than gasoline, but not by much, comparing corn to cellulosic ethanol (produced from non-edible botanical biomass such as corn stalks, switchgrass, wood, and so on), where cellulosic ethanol has a lower impact. They encouraged technological development in the latter area, where enzymes are necessary to break down the plant fibers: cellulose, hemicellulose, lignins, and so on, into fermentable sugars. Engineered fungi have been used to produce cellulase enzymes capable of hydrolyzing these plant polymers and structural components rapidly enough to make this method practical. Another method is acid hydrolysis. Specially engineered yeast have also been developed that secrete the enzymes to break down the fibers and then ferment the resulting sugars. Bacteria have also been used.

Ethanol from corn is still the most widely produced.

Since the Berkeley study, there have been many more that either support corn ethanol blends or condemn them:

I'm sure the final word has yet to be written...
PS--I hasten to add that I'm a huge fan of ethanol blends, especially E85. I have three E30 tunes. When I lived in the South Bay of LA there were two E85 stations within a 5 mile radius of my home.

Here in TX, they are few and far between...and the composition isn't 85% year 'round as it is in Cali. I'm running a new 93 octane tune here, since any E85 is too far away....

·
Registered
138 Posts
But this is the point exactly. We have recently adopted a policy of cut working forms of energy and work towards more efficient form on the back end.

Hemp is something that is ignored all together. Pulls toxins from the soil, produces extreme strong fibers, edible portions as almost a perfect protein, can be used to make biodegradable plastics, biofuels, medicine, the list is endless.

We have real alternatives to our problems that we constantly ignore because we let a fringe group of individuals mandate what is best.

Let the scientists and dreamers innovative. Let the tradesmen design and build. Let the farmers plow and grow. Bring the real solutions to actual problems of the world. Working from the fact the nothing in left is perfect but always strive to reach it through determination and hard work.

Yes bring me zero emissions vehicles that do resemble a vibrator! But in the mean time Drill baby Drill!
I like F1's approach:

They have a vested interest in keeping the IC engine alive, to avoid becoming another Formula E series.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts