Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am considering upgrading the sound system in my car (15 ST2). I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered, but I am curious if its possible to upgrade the sound system in my car by just upgrading the amp? How much is the stock amp limiting the power of the speakers/sub? If the upgrade from an Amp alone brings enough life to the speakers, that would be great because i'd rather not replace everything.

Thanks guys,
Steven

(New Here)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Not easy nor cheaply. Sony amp controls head unit/Sync also. Stock speakers can barely handle what they are given, which is why the stock amp lowers bass/mids as the volume knob goes up. Look to spend near $800-$1000 for an upgrade. Couple of stickies that go over the options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Not easy nor cheaply. Sony amp controls head unit/Sync also. Stock speakers can barely handle what they are given, which is why the stock amp lowers bass/mids as the volume knob goes up. Look to spend near $800-$1000 for an upgrade. Couple of stickies that go over the options.

:whs: (Unless you aren't a male then :wss: lol) This is why I didn't respond earlier because I don't know enough about it other than it's a LOT of stuff lol. Speaker sound is amp limited, amp is headunit and speaker ability limited, and the whole situation is full upgrade or bust usually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys! Since it seems that regardless i am gonna be limited by the headunit, I am curious what headunit you guys are running? How did you make the decision to switch away from the stock sync system? Did it have any undesired affects?

PS: GO KINGS! haha too bad they're not in the playoffs

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the headunit. All that is needed is to get past the factory loudness and EQ'ing, of which there are options built into the LOC, or with add-on DSP's. ST2 and ST3 models cannot change headunits, only the ST1 cars can.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks for the information guys! Since it seems that regardless i am gonna be limited by the headunit, I am curious what headunit you guys are running? How did you make the decision to switch away from the stock sync system? Did it have any undesired affects?

PS: GO KINGS! haha too bad they're not in the playoffs
Stock head unit in mine, just using LOC to sum and balance signals going into my JBL amp. Waiting on RF to release their DSP, it 'replaces' the Sony amp and gives you massive tuning capabilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts