Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a nut shell, I was a tuner/ricer back in my day, owned an eclipse GST, 3g eclipse gt, even a scion tc. All modded up etc...Well, I got married, had kids, got a big boy job, and after 15 years (im 35) I picked up a 17 ST base. Is it gay at this point to even attempt to mod it? I mean I not going to be blasting exhaust or anything just traditional BOV, FMIC, tune...exterior bone stock...but **** I just feel old doing it, a lot of guy my age are rocking challengers, mustangs as their project cars, but I'm stuck in F&F mode with a car I always wanted...just venting but wanted to see if there was anyone else out there my age.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Haha no way not at all, people need their personal hobbies & enjoyment at all ages of their life. Not having anything like that is what would be weird. The ricers are no different than the muscles, just a different style on the same thing & anyone serious enough about the topic should be mature enough to understand that. Besides the first need for speed movie was all about turbos, what does that tell ya?

Anyways enjoy the things that make you happy man. To hell with everyone else (except your family, take their opinions into consideration). Side note guarantee your other car guys will agree what everything here.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nope... I’m almost 50 and modding the hell out of my ‘16 ST3.

It’s a car... have fun with it.

If anyone gives you crap about it, screw ‘em. It’s your car... not theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm 33 and I kept it pretty mild. Air filter, intercooler core, Cobb AP. Stock exhaust... it's almost too quiet, but I don't want to go full ricer and these cars don't sound that amazing with an exhaust IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 33 and I kept it pretty mild. Air filter, intercooler core, Cobb AP. Stock exhaust... it's almost too quiet, but I don't want to go full ricer and these cars don't sound that amazing with an exhaust IMO.
True I found a 16 St with a muffler/cat delete with a injen intake...pretty rough sounding\

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
No way I just bought my St one last year. I'm 42 andI'm stage 3 about ready to pull the trigger on a wmi kit. Think I'm going to get a custom tune first. Have fun screwed everyone else thinks. Mod the hell out of it. Then walk your buddies Challenger from a roll.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Did I read that right? You're 35? 35??? Hah! It comes to something when someone thinks being 35 is over the hill! Maybe in Tudor times you'd be pushing it because most peasants only lived till about 40, if they were lucky, but in the West in 2019? :lol:

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I'm 33, sort of a youngster apparently, and I don't feel "old" yet.
At least not old enough that I think my car is loud and fast enough. It isn't. And it will probably never be. I got my ST last year at 32 and that was the point where I STARTED modding my cars. So I sure as hell won't quit now. Not now, not next year. Most likely not even with 45.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Did I read that right? You're 35? 35??? Hah! It comes to something when someone thinks being 35 is over the hill! Maybe in Tudor times you'd be pushing it because most peasants only lived till about 40, if they were lucky, but in the West in 2019? :lol:
lol things millennial's say...

No one cares how old you are @mattdamon33 or what you drive. If you like and want to modify it, do it. If you feel too old to wrench on your car then give up and buy a Camry or stick to the minivan life lol. If something makes you happy and your spouse signs off on it, go for it. Have fun. If you want to buy a mustang or a charger, go for it. If you like the ST and want to modify it, go for it. No wrong answers but strange you need to ask. You should know who you are by 35 and just embrace it already.

My peers (I'm your age btw) either are super into modifying cars still or could care less about cars altogether. I have a good buddy with a big turbo 335i and another restoring a 71 datsun (who also inherited his dad's '71 Porsche.) Then I have friends and family who are more than happy just driving whatever sedan/suv and are just as happy with their completely stock daily drivers. Both are more than acceptable

·
Registered
763 Posts
I myself modify my car because the instinct has always been there. It's nothing to do with age, but rather my personality that dictates my actions, whether I'm 8 or 80. As a kid I used to like Hot Wheels cars. I used to customise my bikes. I even bought Hot Rod and Custom Car magazines. When I bought motorcycles the first thing I did was modify them, to personalise them. Now I do the same thing to my car. I bought the ST specifically because it had great potential for customisation!

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
I'm one of the younger owners (which apparently surprises a lot of people) and I meet a ton of 60+yo owners...so trust me, you're way good! My favorite part of meeting older owners is that it brings out a sense of youth within them and we can identify with each other and mutually enjoy the same thing. This doesn't happen as often anymore since there are so many cultural differences between those generations and mine. Anyone of any age can enjoy and have fun in these cars! :cool: :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it. I know it sounds very ignorant on my part, but I just wanted to get a feel for it, another agent here has a Subaru and is 25 rocking a Hoonigan sticker and some eighty eighty sticker and the amount of **** he gets is hilarious. I mean F&F was what got me into this, now I have money I didnt have when I was younger and really want to go to town lol...thank you again guys

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
35 is almost dead? ouch well in two years I guess I will start digging a hole.

This thread is silly. you are only as old as you live. live old die old. live young and die young. I plan on driving a fully riced out car until the day I die. I assuming 75 is my time to go, based on a few factors. but I can't imagine living with anything but an annoying car that turns heads :furious:

I am 33 and building an engine and transmission. my car is full bolt on to the tilt of next big mods are engine, BT and transmission. not any order. I hang out with a group of other car people mostly all ST or RS people and they are a range of 18 to 45 i think... yes a 18 year old has a bolt on Focus ST.

If you enjoy it... why is age stopping you?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Who the fk cares what anyone thinks. Do what you love.

Now if you were hanging out in a Taco Bell parking lot and comparing vape boxes then you are fair game to get harassed

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
281 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am 50, I have had the obligatory middle age V8 cars. I Went to the dealer to get a GT and now I am having fun with the focus, I don't care what anyone thinks.

Go into a parking lot and throw a rock you will probably hit a mustang. Not to many ST cars. I have no regret.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
CoreyDSFA
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing