Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Read Only
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a 2018 ST2 with 14k miles on it, and the dealership is asking 22k out the door, won't budge. I can't find anything wrong with it, but I'm taking it to a mechanic to make sure. Is this a decent price or am I overpaying? Any advice on what to look for to make sure it's hasn't been messed with? Only thing I can see is a custom exhaust.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have them do a compression check, that should show you if it has a major issue or not.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay. The value of these cars is on the rise, which leaves a large grey area as far as percieved value goes. The question to you is, are you willing to pay 20k plus tax and fees for a car thats still got a year of warranty left in it?
These cars are for some reason selling like hotcakes now. The VW dealer across the street has gotten two in recently, a 2013 with higher miles that had a catback and window tint that they sold for i think 13 grand after only having it a week or so. They more recently got a 2015+ in that had an intercooler and wheels that i could see but it sold in 2 or 3 days. Faster than i got a chance to look up the asking price of it. The state of the economy is having zero effect on these cars.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have them do a compression check, that should show you if it has a major issue or not.
Ok, will do. Thanks.

Overpaying imo. If i bought a 2015 in 2016 with 5k miles for less. you’re overpaying in the current market conditions.
What state are you in?

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay. The value of these cars is on the rise, which leaves a large grey area as far as percieved value goes. The question to you is, are you willing to pay 20k plus tax and fees for a car thats still got a year of warranty left in it?
These cars are for some reason selling like hotcakes now. The VW dealer across the street has gotten two in recently, a 2013 with higher miles that had a catback and window tint that they sold for i think 13 grand after only having it a week or so. They more recently got a 2015+ in that had an intercooler and wheels that i could see but it sold in 2 or 3 days. Faster than i got a chance to look up the asking price of it. The state of the economy is having zero effect on these cars.
Yeah, I think I'm willing to pay it. I looked at a 2014 ST3 with 50k miles for 13.5k but it had a dented fender, curb rash, and the Carfax reported front end damage, so who knows what state it's in. Dealer wouldn't budge from 13.5, so I'm willing to pay more for some peace that it wasn't beat to ****, if everything checks out.

·
Registered
2015 ST3
56 Posts
Area plays a lot into it. I paid 19500 otd for a 15 st3 because of area and I refused to buy anything non st3

*Edit - sales tax here is 10.4%

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm in the process of buying a 2018 ST2 with 14k miles on it, and the dealership is asking 22k out the door, won't budge. I can't find anything wrong with it, but I'm taking it to a mechanic to make sure. Is this a decent price or am I overpaying? Any advice on what to look for to make sure it's hasn't been messed with? Only thing I can see is a custom exhaust.

So they’re asking 19k+ tax? 22k total? That’s a pretty good deal for a final edition ‘18 ST2. I’m consistently seeing ‘18 ST1’s being advertised for 19-21k + tax. Dealers are very fond of these things now & I don’t see COVID 19 effecting the ST/RS market. Dealers don’t need to give away enthusiasts cars because they have a unique market.

If it’s at a non Ford Dealer (but still a major dealership) then I’d pass on the inspection since it’s an ‘18 & still under a 3/36. Major dealers only keep stock vehicles on their lots & will wholesale anything with mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Let me also add this: Always buy the car that you really want, otherwise you’ll never be happy. Sometimes you might have to slightly overpay for a better car, but that’s okay if it’s what you want, the right color etc.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So they’re asking 19k+ tax? 22k total? That’s a pretty good deal for a final edition ‘18 ST2. I’m consistently seeing ‘18 ST1’s being advertised for 19-21k + tax. Dealers are very fond of these things now & I don’t see COVID 19 effecting the ST/RS market. Dealers don’t need to give away enthusiasts cars because they have a unique market.

If it’s at a non Ford Dealer (but still a major dealership) then I’d pass on the inspection since it’s an ‘18 & still under a 3/36. Major dealers only keep stock vehicles on their lots & will wholesale anything with mods.

It's a Ford dealer, and I'm assuming they put it through an inspection, but I jumped before they put pictures up hoping it would be what I wanted. So I'm not too sure how far it got through their process. It's got the better rims and tints.

Let me also add this: Always buy the car that you really want, otherwise you’ll never be happy. Sometimes you might have to slightly overpay for a better car, but that’s okay if it’s what you want, the right color etc.

Good advice. I wanted a WRX, but I don't have that kind of money for the one I want and I'm perfectly happy with the Focus St.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's a Ford dealer, and I'm assuming they put it through an inspection, but I jumped before they put pictures up hoping it would be what I wanted. So I'm not too sure how far it got through their process. It's got the better rims and tints.

Good advice. I wanted a WRX, but I don't have that kind of money for the one I want and I'm perfectly happy with the Focus St.

What you could do is expand your search & see if they’re are any ‘18 ST2’s listed with 14-16k miles & see what they’re prices are. If you find 1 or 2 priced less, one owner & clean title, then show them the ad & see if they’ll match the price, they might. Or just go silent for a week & see if they call you back.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What you could do is expand your search & see if they’re are any ‘18 ST2’s listed with 14-16k miles & see what they’re prices are. If you find 1 or 2 priced less, one owner & clean title, then show them the ad & see if they’ll match the price, they might. Or just go silent for a week & see if they call you back.

I already negotiated with them, but when I went to financing, they told me they didn't have the title yet. So they slapped dealer plates on and I paid a deposit, but I haven't technically bought it yet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I already negotiated with them, but when I went to financing, they told me they didn't have the title yet. So they slapped dealer plates on and I paid a deposit, but I haven't technically bought it yet.

I’d say for a final edition ‘18 with the ST2 infotainment & under 15k miles, it’s a pretty good deal. I say that because it has the nicer interior & has a lot of warranty left. I like that it’s at a Ford Dealer, because you really have nothing to worry about mechanically.

I know many people got great deals when Ford was clearing out their inventory on ST’s in late 2018 & early 2019, but the used market is a different animal. I don’t see you getting an ‘18 ST2 for under 20k., I just don’t, unless it’s a salvage or Lemon. I think 21-22k is a good deal, since it was close to 30k new.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’d say for a final edition ‘18 with the ST2 infotainment & under 15k miles, it’s a pretty good deal. I say that because it has the nicer interior & has a lot of warranty left. I like that it’s at a Ford Dealer, because you really have nothing to worry about mechanically.

I know many people got great deals when Ford was clearing out their inventory on ST’s in late 2018 & early 2019, but the used market is a different animal. I don’t see you getting an ‘18 ST2 for under 20k., I just don’t, unless it’s a salvage or Lemon. I think 21-22k is a good deal, since it was close to 30k new.

Thanks, good to know. That makes me feel a lot better about it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have come around to PokerRun's thinking. I think the sweet-spot in pricing was just around the time that Ford announced that they were no longer manufacturing the Focus (or any non-SUV cars with the exception of the Mustang) for the US market. Ford dealerships dumped their inventory. I was particularly lucky to get my new 2017 ST3 (then nearly a year old) in the spring of 2018 for almost 1/3 off of sticker. Now that these cars are only available as pre-owned, there is a finite number of them available, and even fewer ones that are low-mileage stock examples. Throw in further requirements like trim level, area code, included warranty, and a particular color, and it will be relatively hard to find exactly what you want in any given area. The laws of supply and demand will regulate the pricing.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
88 Posts
Just to give reference. I paid $8k for my 14' ST3 with 60k miles. Private Party. Location: Southern California

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
We had a similar discussion over here...

...are there cheaper deals to be had? Yes, but time and options move the dollar meter. I paid about the same as you for a 15 ST3 with 30k on her, and don’t regret it a bit 😬

·
Registered
403 Posts
I paid 25 for my 18 ST2 with 40 miles on it, 22 isn’t a bad deal I’d say, provided it’s basically new with no issues. Theoretically it’s beyond having any crib death issues.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts