Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new 2016 ST-3. Have had it for 2 weeks and love it.However it took some time to get used to the 6-speed as I had not driven a stick in over 30 years. Still a little rough with 1st ,reverse and down-shifting but getting better!

My son who is a CAR PERSON and 32 believes that I am NUTZZ for purchasing a kids car when I am 63. He also tells me:
1.....that I purchased a race/rally car
2.....is not a winter driver
3.....repairs will be very expensive
4....this is a 20's-something vehicle and not for someone my age.

Needless to say that my excitement in purchasing my ST has been tempered by my son who believes that I am NUTZZ!

Any feedback would be helpful to perhaps put all of this into better perspective.

Thanks..................Milkeyway

·
Registered
660 Posts
2.....is not a winter driver----------NEEDS SNOW TIRES

You are never too old to have a fun car! You might not be in the majority "older folks in Buicks" but don't let him hate on you. He is just jealous you have a car he wants! Now go enjoy, and welcome to the Ford ST Community!

·
Premium Member
13,747 Posts
2.....is not a winter driver----------NEEDS SNOW TIRES

You are never too old to have a fun car! You might not be in the majority "older folks in Buicks" but don't let him hate on you. He is just jealous you have a car he wants! Now go enjoy, and welcome to the Ford ST Community!
I got around just fine in South Dakota winters with all seasons. However winter tires will be better.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The only thing I would sort of agree with is that the Fost is not a winter car, especially with the stock Goodyear F1 summer tires. However, the car does weigh 3200 pounds and with a set of winter rubber, you will be better off than most compacts. We got our first snow here last week and my new blizzarks handled it fine.

Otherwise, your son is nuts. Anyone can enjoy the focus and it certainly isn't a rally car. It is plenty safe and still achieves relatively good mpg. If you enjoy the car, that is all that matters, right?

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
You should tell your son that in order to officially become a "Car enthusiast" he has to understand that anyone of any age can own, love, and appreciate ANY car. Age does not define anything other than a number. (Unless you're under 21/18 lol) Rock the car around in style, it's a sporty fun little car with GREAT safety features. Plenty of reason to respect it from a commuter vehicle perspective, while at the same time having the ABILITY to be this "race car" it gets referred to at times.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm 45 and LOVE MY ST!!!!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Just purchased a new 2016 ST-3. Have had it for 2 weeks and love it.However it took some time to get used to the 6-speed as I had not driven a stick in over 30 years. Still a little rough with 1st ,reverse and down-shifting but getting better!

My son who is a CAR PERSON and 32 believes that I am NUTZZ for purchasing a kids car when I am 63. He also tells me:

Needless to say that my excitement in purchasing my ST has been tempered by my son who believes that I am NUTZZ!

Any feedback would be helpful to perhaps put all of this into better perspective.

You are completely nuts... for putting 2 "zz's" in nuts

Otherwise you are completely normal car guy that wants a fun, sporty, yet practical car... it's not what I would consider a race or rally car. You can turn it into one, but you can turn ANYTHING into one so that isn't very valid. I have literally seen a Camry being "Rallied"
Not a winter car? depends on how bad your winters are. I run Mich Pilot Sport AS3s and I didn't miss a day of work because of weather or my car not making it in the winter.
3 - repairs? Warrranty comes in handy but I don't see why repairs for a Ford would be high? parts for this car are cheap. check out Audi or VW and you will see parts that are eye opening costly. As well as easy to work on and if you know half about cars you can do just about anything, nothing something said about any car.
4 - Don't know why age matters at all but a guy in our club is 61 so.
Guess it is kind of a bad thing this car gets a "boy racer" badge. I am 30 so I guess I am getting to old for it?

Anyways, enjoy the new car!

·
Registered
558 Posts
43 and love mine. Got 8 inches of snow yesterday and she did fine with the snows I bought. Better than my old AWD V6 Fusion with all seasons. Love this car.

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
39 Posts

I'm 60 and own one so maybe say haha to him. 63 is just a number. The important thing is how you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd be you, I would disown my son right away for being salty :smile:

Nah, you ain't too old.
I know some dude who tracks his Ferrari regularly and he's 60+. Bob Bondurant drives the wheels off a dodge ACR and he's 81!!!

4) That's preposterous.
3) Repairs aren't expensive, especially if you go to an independent shop. It's a Ford, not a Lambo.
2) Hahaha, what the hell is a winter driver? You can drive any car in the winter. It's not about the car, it's about the driver.
1) It's not a race car and even less so a rally car (most of them being AWD, for a good reason). Now, had you bought the RS, that would be a more valid point.

Enjoy your ST and tell your son to take a chill pill.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm getting between 29 and 32 mpg from mine where my 2012 manual transmission SE averaged a lifetime in the 35 range. Not too bad a hit for almost an extra 100 hp and a boatload more torque. And it's not exactly the same thing, but my SE was pretty close to bulletproof for 204k miles, when it was totaled by a 2011 Camry (still drove home, Camry did not). In total, I replaced the battery, a wheel bearing, the radiator (aluminum with plastic end tanks—almost every car has them and they're a crapshoot), the brakes and rear shocks at around 130k, and several sets of tires. I also replaced a wheel and tie rods on the right side when I hydroplaned into a movable HOV barrier at about 45 mph (drove home fine). Oil changes about every 11k. I expect a little more maintenance needs from the ST, but can't see it being too much worse. The few repairs it needed were on the lower middle end for cost.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm 65 1/2 and love driving my 2015 ST3 and last week bought a 2017 Yamaha FZ-10, 145 rear wheel hp in a 465 lb package. Think the ST is fast? The bike will blow the ST away. But it's a different tool. No need to apologize to anyone, buy what makes you happy, it'll keep you healthy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Honestly it sounds like your son might be a little envious here haha. Seriously though it can't be any worse then someone having a corvette at an older age and going through a mid life crisis. If anything I'd think he would congratulate you for making a pretty good choice in a vehicle. The ST packs a good punch out of the box. It has a lot of safety features and is a fun car to drive while still being practical for everyday driving and mind you it's pretty affordable to fill up. He must think it's a subi wrx/sti if he thinks it's a rally car. Your only as old as you feel and I say hell go out and enjoy your car. It's meant to drive and its your car so why does he even care what you bought and why is he so critical of your car choice anyway ?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The only thing I would sort of agree with is that the Fost is not a winter car, especially with the stock Goodyear F1 summer tires. However, the car does weigh 3200 pounds and with a set of winter rubber, you will be better off than most compacts. We got our first snow here last week and my new blizzarks handled it fine.

Otherwise, your son is nuts. Anyone can enjoy the focus and it certainly isn't a rally car. It is plenty safe and still achieves relatively good mpg. If you enjoy the car, that is all that matters, right?
No car is a good winter car with summer tires. :crazy:

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I had an absolute ball driving in winter when I lived in Kansas. Purchased some great snow tires and she handled with out any issue.
Fun car enjoy it while it lasts. These years seem to keep going by faster and faster, an ST purchase I believe is the best choice to enjoy in the fast lane. :cool2:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts