Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My alternator appears to be leaking oil/sealant right where the spindle comes out of the alternator. At first I thought I had an oil leak somewhere, but I extensively checked for any weeping or leaks and I found nothing. It almost seems like some kind of coating got burned off inside the alternator and is weeping out from it? The fluid does not have an oil smell to it...sort of neutral in smell. I have attached a picture of the leakage (I cleaned it up a little with a rag already). Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks!

Paul

IMG_2352.JPG

·
Registered
917 Posts
Looks like some bearing grease.
:whs: That is not coming from inside your alternator, but from the pulley attached to it.

Reactions: BOCO

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at 95,000 miles and I'm still seeing some weeping of grease by the pulley. Do you guys think this warrants a visit to the dealership? Is there anything I can inspect further on my own? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I'm at 95,000 miles and I'm still seeing some weeping of grease by the pulley. Do you guys think this warrants a visit to the dealership? Is there anything I can inspect further on my own? Thanks!

It's an alternator. Until it stops charging or the bearings go bad I don't think I'd worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts