Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any real difference besides that sleek look? A dumb question per se, but does the car ride any different or is there an impact on cabin noise? I know different tires can drive that impact, but never had a care to work with different wheels before.

Outside of that: any folks have preference?

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Aluminum is lighter material.
Most spinnable tempers and alloys of aluminum dent, ding or scratch more easily as compared to steel. Steel is strong and less likely to warp, deform or bend under weight, force or heat. Nevertheless the strength of steel's tradeoff is that steel is much heavier /much denser than aluminum.

https://www.wenzelmetalspinning.com/steel-vs-aluminum.html

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would say alloy is machined aluminum.
All aluminum wheels are an alloy to be stronger.
One difference is spin casting, and forging.
Both are aluminum alloy, but the spin casting is somewhat stronger. The forged are a lot stronger, still aluminum alloy.
The spun cost some more. The forged cost a lot more.
Then there is weight.
Aluminum alloy wheels can range all over the place from very light to heavy.
OEM aluminum alloy wheels tend to be heavy so they do not cave in from potholes.
Really light wheels will cave in from potholes.
Tradeoffs.
As far as ride quality there is very little difference.
As mentioned steel wheels are stronger, and have a little more 'give', so the wheel can bend and survive a lot better.
Aluminum does not bend much, it breaks faster than steel.
Aluminum also has to be thicker than steel, so even though aluminum is lighter, it takes more to make a wheel, than steel does.
The lighter aluminum alloy wheels are for racing and pretend racing types.
If you just want a wheel to last, buy from the middle range of weights.
Heaviest aluminum alloy wheels are usually very fancy stylish types.
If you are buying them... They need to FIT the bolt pattern of your car, and have the right offset.
off set is also important, It is how far from center the wheel face meets the hub. Too little or too much the heel will rub.
Then the rim width. How wide the tub is that tie tire sits on.

If you go to a place like Tire Rack, they have ways to be sure the wheel can fit your car.
Ebay or other places you need to know yourself if it is good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! My question is being posed more because I am choosing between an ST2 with Machined Aluminum or ST3 with the Rado Gray Alloy wheels. My current ST1 has the Rado's, but just was wondering if there was a different (i.e. cabin noise, ride, etc..) between the two wheel types... at least, any noticeable difference besides appearance.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Thanks! My question is being posed more because I am choosing between an ST2 with Machined Aluminum or ST3 with the Rado Gray Alloy wheels. My current ST1 has the Rado's, but just was wondering if there was a different (i.e. cabin noise, ride, etc..) between the two wheel types... at least, any noticeable difference besides appearance.
The wheels are the same construction, the Machined is just a finish on the face of the wheel. They are both an aluminum alloy wheel.

Reactions: CDB

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
ah! der, der. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me. Now you can see why I scream sucker when walking onto dealer lots.
Ha, no sweat man. That's why places like this exist. No one knows everything. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Reactions: Tinmender1963

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Is there any real difference besides that sleek look? A dumb question per se, but does the car ride any different or is there an impact on cabin noise? I know different tires can drive that impact, but never had a care to work with different wheels before.

I gained 5mph on top end & 1 sec on my 0 - 60 with the machined alum premium wheel package vs. the Rados . I think the snowflakes were whining about losing the election and other fruitless topics which cost them time when getting down to business.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
The machined alum rims have personality and personality goes a long way, just ask Jules Winnfield!

·
Super Moderator
2,360 Posts

I gained 5mph on top end & 1 sec on my 0 - 60 with the machined alum premium wheel package vs. the Rados . I think the snowflakes were whining about losing the election and other fruitless topics which cost them time when getting down to business.
?????

·
Registered
321 Posts
Snowflakes seem to have fewer fitment limitations... For example, RS Brembos... 5mm spacer for snowflakes vs 10mm or more spacers. The difference between using stock wheel studs and having to buy longer...

CrashMW

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
get the machined dildos they are much better looking and the chicks digg them!!! Plus the machined wheel package comes with red calipers!

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Indeed, at the end of the day they both suck compared to aftermarket options!!

• Haha
Reactions: sttwoton
1 - 15 of 15 Posts