Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, lots of threads on this. But, I’ve been searching the web and this forum for recommendations for an All Season tire and have ended up with nothing but a headache. Live in Oklahoma, not a lot of snow or ice but we do get it. I love the profile and look of my factory shod eagles along with the curb rash protector built into the tire. I know Good Year makes an all season tire in this but reviews aren’t the best and they’re good for only 30k. Have $1100 to spend, can I get a recommendation? And, I do want the curb rash protection…LOL!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Go here; http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-wheels-tires/63042-anyone-switch-all-seasons.html
Here's my opinion if you're lazy :)
I have opined on several threads here but here I go again; I am rough on tires. I ran thru the original F1's in 21k miles. Next I tried some Michelin SS's and wore them out in 28k miles. I was having some wheel hop issues and had tried a turbotech UMM and Boomba RMM to no avail. Another member suggested I try the Michelin AS3's. In short, these cure the wheel hop at the cost of a little reduced traction. In fact, I removed the after-market mounts and there was still no wheel hop. However, I missed the connected feel of the Boomba RMM so I made a hybrid out of the rear part of the Boomba and the front part of the eFocus RMM. It actually increased the wheel hop a little, but not too much.
I put the AS3's on at 39k miles and I now have 60k miles and they are about 1/3 worn. I do not pamper them at all. What you will find is that they have a different nature to their traction limits. Where the F1 and SS tires stick like glue until they break loose, the AS3's lose traction gradually. What I'm saying is that the summer tires contribute to wheel hop in our favorite car because they stick so tight that the engine winds up and hits the limit of the motor mounts. That's when they break loose; then the engine flops back the other direction and they reconnect. But the cycle repeats itself with the wheels hopping like bunnies down the road. With the AS3's there are two factors that make it smoother; the more gradual loss of traction and lower limits. SO rather than hopping the tires spin a little with no hop. There are trade-off's; if you love the "on rails" feel on the interstate, you do lose some of that. Cornering traction is also reduced and exhibits the same gradual release feel I spoke of above. So, rather than hitting a corner hard and letting off the gas and having it swing around and then jerk when it regains traction, there is a more gradual slide and no "jerk" when it reconnects. There is also more tire squall involved. Another difference is the tramlining; the tendency for a tire to pull across the crown of a road and pavement irregularities. These have less of that than the two main summer UHP tires.
So, overall, I think the positives outweigh the negatives and I will keep using AS3's. They ran me about $1000 for four at discount tire, about the same as for the summer tire. However, another option has been brought up in another thread; what about UHP summer tires that are half the price as these? You would likely still have to replace them as frequently, but they wouldn't cost as much. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Another option is super-cheap AS tires. Someone in the group I meet with locally at the Charlotte Cars & Coffee just got an entire set for $360, mounted and with a 40k miles warranty. I can't remember the brand. Other cheap options are Khumo, Fulda, and GT. I think the GT's are available at Discount Tire.

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RR, not in for cheap, just want a nice looking quality tire. I have 55k on my Eagles and they are literally skids now. They were pretty bad last winter such that I was scared to drive it in the cold wet mornings. Almost lost it a couple of times. I'm also a softy on the gas pedal, in fact my mpg is 29.8. Most of my mileage is hwy, two hours a day to and from work. I'll look again at the AS3's.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Thanks RR, not in for cheap, just want a nice looking quality tire. I have 55k on my Eagles and they are literally skids now. They were pretty bad last winter such that I was scared to drive it in the cold wet mornings. Almost lost it a couple of times. I'm also a softy on the gas pedal, in fact my mpg is 29.8. Most of my mileage is hwy, two hours a day to and from work. I'll look again at the AS3's.
If you're looking for a nice-looking quality tire then the AS3's are your tire. Judging by my tread wear so far under a heavy foot, you should get 80k miles. My gas mileage is about 20-21 in general around town, and the best I can get on the highway is 27.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I just switched to AS3's. I never had confidence in the stock tires especially in New England. The AS3's feel much more planted, I also feel much more safe on wet turns and other weather issues. I know the stock probably aren't horrible but for some reason I couldn't ever trust them, I think its a mental problem with me worried about summer tires in cold weather, but either way, I have been much happier with the AS3. I had mine installed and balanced for under 1k, I think like $920, and I could have gotten them cheaper if I was willing to deal with Mavis Discount Tire (have had a few problems with them so I decided to pay more from someone I trusted)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have Continental DWS06 tires on my ST and they are great.

My son has them on his LS3 '09 Corvette and he loves them as well.

Great tire.

Reactions: LilHaile

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have been running F1 AS. They seem pretty decent, wear well and traction is ok, less than summer but not hateful. Unless you push your car frequently to grip limit I dobt you would notice a big difference. I don't think they will last as long as the tire as RoachRage speaks of but at ~35,000 miles they are getting close to the wear bars, maybe another 10-15 ish thousand left, which I think is about where they are rated

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am running Kumho Ecsta 4x II in 235/40R18 for winters in Texas. Have about 1k miles on them and they are a great tire so far. Think I paid ~$450 installed with the $60 rebate going on right now.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yokohama Advan Sport A/S great tire, outstanding handling charastics. Excellent winter weather tire (stay plyable in sub 30 temps) But any all season tire is going to have a relatively tough time not spinning in 1st and give you the traction you want on this vehicle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In this order:
1. Yokohama Advan sport A/S
2. Continental DWS 06
3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
4. Nitto Motivo
5. Pirelli Pzero A/S

Those are going to be about the 5 best tires I would recommend for with what your looking to spend. I have driven and tested all these tires on many different vehicles and many different climates and types of driving. Ultimately it's your choice in what you buy, but pay attention on the brands that continually pop up that will give you an idea on reliability of what your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In this order:
1. Yokohama Advan sport A/S
2. Continental DWS 06
3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
4. Nitto Motivo
5. Pirelli Pzero A/S

Those are going to be about the 5 best tires I would recommend for with what your looking to spend. I have driven and tested all these tires on many different vehicles and many different climates and types of driving. Ultimately it's your choice in what you buy, but pay attention on the brands that continually pop up that will give you an idea on reliability of what your looking for.
His top 3 are the ones I considered, I would have went Yokohama but the store couldn't get them in any decent time so I went AS3. The continentals were also on my final list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts