Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's getting close to the chilly months of the year and I'm thinking about going one size higher than the stock tires. I have the stock 19 inch wheels with summer eagle f1s and I'm not gonna be able to do another winter with them lol ( I wonder why :yum: ) so my question is if I go to the 245s will that hinder my performance because of the larger tire or will I be okay? It's not that I have to go up I'm just seeing if I could consider it at all. Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Unless something changed I believe our wheel sizes are 18 and not 19.

Regardless, if you're considering getting an all season tire for just the winter I would go with the 235. A 245 is about 3/8" wider and you want a skinnier tire for winter driving vs a fatter tire. The other difference with these two tires is that the 245/40 will be slightly taller than the 235/40. Side wall height is the 40, 40% of the width. Therefore 40% of 245 is more than 40% of 235. It will fill any fender well gap a little more. As far as fitment/performance you probably won't see much of a difference since you're looking at all season tires. If you were going to a summer tire I would recommend a 245/35/18.

Reactions: killpsibot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologize it is 18 not 19 lol and thank you! I guess if I lived in Florida or something then maybe I could go summer 245s. But in jersey the weather could go either way year round lol I used these summer tires last winter cause I didn't have money to change them and they weren't terrible but I had to be driven to work one day when we had some snow so anything more than a dusting and I'll just be making a hole in the snow lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you can afford it another set of wheels with winter tires would be your best option.

For winter I'm going to run 215/50 17 on 17x7.5 wheels with a 38mm offset. Very little speedometer error(-.25%) from factory size and a tad bit wider overall tracking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree on the two sets if possible, especially living in the north east with winter. If you are going to stick with on set unless you need the slight larger contact patch i would continue with the 235. If you were racing or needed the extra grip for the summer a larger diameter tire would help you in those instances but then you trade off winter driving with the wider width to try to cut through the snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts