Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1183 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Noob to the ST and turbo engines. How many quarts are these engines? Our 01' Zx3 was 4.25, I wasn't sure if these newer motors hold more or not.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
5.7 quarts if using the ford recommended fl910s filter. 6 quarts if using the bigger fl400s.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
5.7 quarts if using the ford recommended fl910s filter. 6 quarts if using the bigger fl400s.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info. That's a lot for these little motors. My crown vic is 6qts and the same filter

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
These threads drive me nuts because I am more paranoid when it comes to oil than I should be and I even have a truck to prove it. It's an '03 Ranger 4x4 that was my work truck that had a hard life and oil changes were done but with whatever was on sale and it's mine now and has 243,000 miles on it. I have a couple Blackstone Labs sample jars that I plan to send to them from my Ranger but it still runs amazingly well. So, for the ST, I decided to just go with Pennzoil Plat. Plus with the K&N equivalent size to the FL400S filter and I'm calling it good. I plan on adding a front and rear OCC at some point.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did my first oil change on my 2018 two weeks ago at 3200 miles. Figured if there was break in oil in there, it was time to get it out. 6 QT of Mobile 1 Synth 5w-30 with a Motorcraft FL400 filter. I have used Mobile 1 Synth in all my vehicles for years, performance and daily driven, with zero issues. My old supercharged 2005 Civic Si ran it for 133K miles, never a problem and motor still purred like a kitten when I sold the car. My SN95 Mustang ran it as well with no issues.

The only car that I ran different oil was my 2010 Shelby GT500 Mustang. That car got Amsoil 10w40 (which was an equivalent to the Motorcraft 15w-50 the engine called for) and Amsoil filters. At the time when I bought the car (March 2010) the long block alone in the car cost $19-$20K. I took no chances....lol. I still might go back to Amsoil with this car, with the 5w-30 XL just for the extra cleaning characteristics of the oil.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did my first oil change on my 2018 two weeks ago at 3200 miles. Figured if there was break in oil in there, it was time to get it out. 6 QT of Mobile 1 Synth 5w-30 with a Motorcraft FL400 filter. I have used Mobile 1 Synth in all my vehicles for years, performance and daily driven, with zero issues. My old supercharged 2005 Civic Si ran it for 133K miles, never a problem and motor still purred like a kitten when I sold the car. My SN95 Mustang ran it as well with no issues.

The only car that I ran different oil was my 2010 Shelby GT500 Mustang. That car got Amsoil 10w40 (which was an equivalent to the Motorcraft 15w-50 the engine called for) and Amsoil filters. At the time when I bought the car (March 2010) the long block alone in the car cost $19-$20K. I took no chances....lol. I still might go back to Amsoil with this car, with the 5w-30 XL just for the extra cleaning characteristics of the oil.
Gonna get some amsoil signature series tonight for my first oil change this weekend. Only the best for my baby :):cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gonna get some amsoil signature series tonight for my first oil change this weekend. Only the best for my baby :):cool:
I got a report back from Blackstone after running amsoil signature series for 10k miles. Almost perfect score and they even said it was good enough I could run it to 12k on the next interval. I probably won't do that, but it's nice to know the stats came back that good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got a report back from Blackstone after running amsoil signature series for 10k miles. Almost perfect score and they even said it was good enough I could run it to 12k on the next interval. I probably won't do that, but it's nice to know the stats came back that good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thats good to hear! I was planning on going 10k in between changes or maybe a year. Do you drive yours daily? what mods do you have? are you tuned?
mine is a daily for the most part with occasional drives/canyon carving on the weekends. So its babied most of the time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thats good to hear! I was planning on going 10k in between changes or maybe a year. Do you drive yours daily? what mods do you have? are you tuned?
mine is a daily for the most part with occasional drives/canyon carving on the weekends. So its babied most of the time.
No mods here (yet :wink:), but synthetics definitely last longer than dino equivalents. i -like- changes every 5k, but some of the techs on previous vehicles laughed at me, said the oil was fine. this is my first turbo in a decade, so i'm re-learning.
Previous owner did 11k and no scheduled maintenance, so now i'm the adult and doing that. Ford gave me 5w-30 semi-synth. And replaced a missing airbox cover.
Oh. and daily driver. 30+ miles/day on work days. more if i'm feeling frisky. Some all higway 36mpg runs...some idling on the highway with assholes trying to crash into me...so 27/28 mpg mixed. and a little "spirited driving" late at night with music up and windows down.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Second oil change done at 8K miles on the car. After that first at 3K my plan is 5K changes from here on out. First change I went to Mobil1, which has been my go to for all my cars, minus my GT500 (when I had it).

Did not send off for an analysis, but I really don't feel that it did as well in the ST. Oil was beyond dirty compared to similar change intervals in my past cars. Switched on this change last week to Pennzoil Platinum. The PP from what I have been able to research has a better additive package and does not shear as easily compared to the Mobil1. We shall see.

Oh....dumped the crap Ford oil plug as well. Almost rounded it off, cheap piece of crap. Put in the Mountune magnetic plug, and it makes me feel much better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
FYI in case this confuses anyone else.

I went to the local Advance to get some Motorcraft oil.. much closer than the dealership. The part number on the oil I had was XO-5W30-QSP (that's X-oh, not X-zero).

The oil at the store was XO-5W30-Q1SP.

Q1SP apparently supercedes QSP.

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__/MotorCRAFT-SAE-5W---30-API-GF---5/51585797/XO5W30QSP.html

1. Home / Ford / XO5W30QSP
THIS PRODUCT HAS BEEN REPLACED BY
MotorCRAFT SAE 5W - 30 SN SNPLUS. image for your Ford

MotorCRAFT SAE 5W - 30 SN SNPLUS.
Part Number: XO5W30Q1SP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All.
So I guess I need some schooling.. 2016 FoST MK3, my first turbo car, I did an oil change in it about a week ago and and put in the Royal Purple SN Plus 5w-30 oil and FL400s filter. I did this based on a recommendation from a friend In another state who runs RP in his fiesta and loves it..

However with that said, I have been getting trashed on for using RP in my local car scene. Everyone says its junk.. So Im going to do another oil change this week and was considering the Pennzoil Platinum..

Couple of Questions:

1. Why is everyone saying RP is so bad? I read the bottle has SN PLUS DEXOS 2 and API labels, it read that is was designed for turbo chargers and super chargers.
2. I've read that the Pennzoil Platinum and the Castrol Syntec were the better options.

I do not track my car but Im regularly into the spirited driving to and from work and to the grocery store.

What is the consensus in the FoST community for oil..

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Hello All.
So I guess I need some schooling.. 2016 FoST MK3, my first turbo car, I did an oil change in it about a week ago and and put in the Royal Purple SN Plus 5w-30 oil and FL400s filter. I did this based on a recommendation from a friend In another state who runs RP in his fiesta and loves it..

However with that said, I have been getting trashed on for using RP in my local car scene. Everyone says its junk.. So Im going to do another oil change this week and was considering the Pennzoil Platinum..

Couple of Questions:

1. Why is everyone saying RP is so bad? I read the bottle has SN PLUS DEXOS 2 and API labels, it read that is was designed for turbo chargers and super chargers.
2. I've read that the Pennzoil Platinum and the Castrol Syntec were the better options.

I do not track my car but Im regularly into the spirited driving to and from work and to the grocery store.

What is the consensus in the FoST community for oil..
I ran RP for first few changes with no issues, still use the RP filter 20-400 but switched to Pennz Plat Ultra for the better NOACK numbers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I think Im going to go with the Pennzoil Platinum.. its readily available at wally world and seems to the go to oil for most of the non tracking ST community.. i like 30 dollars an oil change vs 65 aswell.. It just amazes me how Royal Purple can still be in business with as much hate for its product that Ive come across. Growing up in the 90's anyone that had a performance car was preaching about RP and that it was good..

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Yeah I think Im going to go with the Pennzoil Platinum.. its readily available at wally world and seems to the go to oil for most of the non tracking ST community.. i like 30 dollars an oil change vs 65 aswell.. It just amazes me how Royal Purple can still be in business with as much hate for its product that Ive come across. Growing up in the 90's anyone that had a performance car was preaching about RP and that it was good..
There is Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Look for the Ultra

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fww, while I'm new to STs, I've been in the Turbo Buick/Grand National community for well over a decade ... I've never heard anyone say that thier engine blew up or thier turbo bearings got fried because of the oil brand, weight or type they selected. There are just as many opinions there as there are here.
Bottom line:
Keep it clean and fresh, let the turbo cool before shutdown and you'll never have an issue.

1161 - 1180 of 1183 Posts