Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I planned on installing my coilovers I picked up recently. However there’s a driving event going on this weekend cruising around the New England area that’s going to be around 300 miles. The event is starting fairly early so I’m guessing most shops won’t be open to let me be on time for the event. I’ve read on other forums that it’s okay to wait a few days to get an alignment after an install, but I’ve also read that it’s necessary to get one right after. I’m not sure what to do and any input would help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Doing an alignment is a good idea because you don't want your tires to wear unevenly due to the coils. So it's up to you, I don't think there's a perfect answer as to the timeline you should get one but it's definitely recommended. From experience, I installed coils about a year ago and never did an alignment. The car drove just as straight as it did before install and when I put my winter tires on, none of my summers had uneven wear, so for me an alignment wasn't necessary but I'm no role model haha

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have a question pertaining to coilovers. How far can I drop the car before I need adjustable toe arms and Camber arms? I only plan to drop it roughly 2in. Just to get the tire about flush with the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Toe eats tires. That is the biggest worry. Not camber.
You should get an alignment within the first full tank of gas...

The rears should get a toe kit, the camber kit I don't personally feel is warranted in most typical installs. unless you're going super low or using wrong offset wheels where you need to add lots of neg camber for fitment reasons.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So I planned on installing my coilovers I picked up recently. However there’s a driving event going on this weekend cruising around the New England area that’s going to be around 300 miles. The event is starting fairly early so I’m guessing most shops won’t be open to let me be on time for the event. I’ve read on other forums that it’s okay to wait a few days to get an alignment after an install, but I’ve also read that it’s necessary to get one right after. I’m not sure what to do and any input would help.
I’m in the NE area, what’s the event?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
When I dropped mine with springs only,1.4 drop everything was still in spec except a minor toe adj on one side. I dropped 2 on co's last week and can tell camber is way out. I'm putting a couple hundred miles on it to let everything settle good before a alignment. Drives pretty good but I can tell it needs aligned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m in the NE area, what’s the event?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look up New England driving enthusiasts on Facebook. 100 people or so meeting up and driving around a couple different states. All backgrounds. Hop in the group for all the details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts