Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought about posting this on the forum for about a week now. Haven't really seen the kit on anyone else's car, so I figured I'd put it out for every one to know.

Let me just start by saying, I never expected much from an intake for this car other than pure sound and a little engine dress. I love the look of the CPE and Steeda intake, but I just couldn't justify spending $300 of my own money on an intake kit. For those of you that do, more power to you, and frankly I'm jealous.

The quality was extremely surprising for an Amazon/EBay promoted product. The tubing is solid and smooth 3.5" I believe (measured the ends). It's two piece aluminum and comes with 2 decent couplers and some pretty crappy fasteners for the couplers. Install was pretty simple, everything tightened down to spec well, even the heat shield (which also came with some heat resistant "foam"?)

So all in all, for $150. I'd say well worth it. My biggest complaint is with the short tube, it's kinda long and I can no longer fit my old Cobb filter. I considered shortening the tube with a dremmel but the size difference is incredible, and I haven't decided if I want to throw on a 3.5" to 3" reducer just to put on a filter that really makes no difference.

With heat/dust shield (currently installed)

Sent from another garage

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, to add. I never measured the IATs before the install.

But I can tell you, while driving on the highway, I'm consistently staying right at or 2 degrees above ambient temp. Around town I'm generally sitting between 5-10 degrees above ambient temp. (For those that care)

Sent from another garage

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Is that a fawerks I take tube? Which is 3" I believe...do you have a couplet to connect the 3" to 3.5"? Not bad for the price...I like the heat shield...might try to add that to the full race intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything actually came with the intake kit, which is why I'm so surprised for the price. You can actually check it out here:

AF Dynamic Air Filter intake for Ford Focus ST 13-14 2.0 2.0L Turbo w/ Heat Shield 1314-FF-HS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LE57GCE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2k7kybEW5VDX8

I'm considering getting a 3.5" to 3" reducer. But would still need to cut some length off the small tube to fit a Cobb or other filter.

Sent from another garage

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Bummer...well I emailed them about fit on 2016!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
There is a difference between the years, you have an additional module in the intake line on the rear, so without the bung for that, its not going to fit correctly. Also your MAP sensors are a different size and shape, which do not fit the 13-14 MAP sensor bungs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any idea if this could be used with the stock air box? The coupler junction seems to be in about the same place.
I considered doing this actually. If you're wanting to retain the stock airbox, you'll probably need to keep that lower elbow too. With that, you'll need a reducing coupler that matches from the new top intake tube to the elbow, I would say roughly 3.5" to 2.75" coupler. The problem I had with it, is the lower factory elbow is a soft rubber and not a hard plastic, so I don't think the coupler will get a good seal.

You'd definitely need to do some cutting and grinding to make it work, but I'm sure it's do-able.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I considered doing this actually. If you're wanting to retain the stock airbox, you'll probably need to keep that lower elbow too. With that, you'll need a reducing coupler that matches from the new top intake tube to the elbow, I would say roughly 3.5" to 2.75" coupler. The problem I had with it, is the lower factory elbow is a soft rubber and not a hard plastic, so I don't think the coupler will get a good seal.

You'd definitely need to do some cutting and grinding to make it work, but I'm sure it's do-able.
Cool, thank you for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I saw someone with this intake tube to stock airbox recently on here, we need them to come in here and tell us what they did.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
yeah, i just want to replace the crappy looking elbow and intake tube.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That was me with the stock air box. What i did was cut the side out to fit the larger intake tube in. And just to add the turbo sounds i cut open the top of the box. Granted you can keep it closed off for extra coldness of course. But i like it and i have the same AF dynamic intake. Its great for the money. I will say the instructions that come with it are garbage so for sure watch some YouTube videos

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Ah, I see that now that you mention it, good work!

I found the perfect intake kit for retaining the stock airbox, the CFM, and it's reasonably priced, not as inexpensive as the AFD, but cheaper than anyone else, at $215 with the silicone elbow, or $170 with just the turbo side adapter and aluminum pipe. That or the JBR, its a little more expensive, but come with way better clamps.

https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepa...w-Elbow-for-2013-2016-Focus-ST-ST250-p176.htm

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/sh...ducts_id=923&zenid=baivndl32p8abt52kqk1e2qkv3

1 - 20 of 26 Posts