Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am trying to decide between air and coilovers. I found a good deal on a used air lift system and I love the idea of being able to air up and down, but not a huge fan of the price tag. I also like the fact that they're is maybe one other ST I know of on air, so its different. So my questions Is do I spend the $2000 on the air or spend $1000 on coilovers and $1000 on other suspension parts, front splitter, and side skirts? I know its my car and I will do what I want, but I am looking for other input or Maybe things I didn't think about. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Hey guys I am trying to decide between air and coilovers. I found a good deal on a used air lift system and I love the idea of being able to air up and down, but not a huge fan of the price tag. I also like the fact that they're is maybe one other ST I know of on air, so its different. So my questions Is do I spend the $2000 on the air or spend $1000 on coilovers and $1000 on other suspension parts, front splitter, and side skirts? I know its my car and I will do what I want, but I am looking for other input or Maybe things I didn't think about. Thanks!
If you plan on going on track ever, you will not want air bags. If it is just for the street I could see how the bags could have some appeal to instantly lift it to clear obstacles.

Reactions: rkaisher08

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you plan on going on track ever, you will not want air bags. If it is just for the street I could see how the bags could have some appeal to instantly lift it to clear obstacles.
No plans to track it, but I have heard good things about the performance of the Air Lift kits.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
No plans to track it, but I have heard good things about the performance of the Air Lift kits.
Don't quote me on this but I want to say I've heard somewhere that a lot of road course/autox will not allow air bags. I don't know about drag racing though.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Air = show
Coilovers = go

Sure, bags may handle descent, but not to the level of a quality spring or much less a good coilover set up. Bags are good if you're varying weight and all that, but how crucial is that in a Focus? Bags are good if you want to look slammed at the local cruise in.

Just throwing out my ideas/opinions.

Don't be different...be what you like/want as you stated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located, but there are hundreds of ST's on Air Suspension.
Other than Car Shows and taking pictures to put on Instagram or something, air is just not worth it in my opinion. Not to mention sacrificing all that space required for the install.
With Air, you need to take into account the wheels, if you decide to get beefier wheels you'll need to loads of + camber.

If you're not going to track the car, even coilovers is a waste. If it was my money, I'd put good quality springs with a decent drop. Get a gorgeous body kit (Maxton design), and maybe some bolt-on performance mods. (Or even upgrade the sound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can track a car that's bagged on Airrex suspension. That said, if it's a daily that you need to depend on to get to work, coils are the way to go. I love how bagged cars look, but the world I came from, someone always had a leak or something break that would strand them somewhere. I ran static so low that I couldn't drive my car for work anymore; speed bumps, the struggle is real!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If youre going for looks, and can afford the air, Id get air. The on the fly adjust-ability is sweet. However the install is way harder since you need to run power to the compressor, mount the compressor and run all the air lines.
If you want performance out of it, depending on what you want, you may need to go coilovers

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I know there are more people with opinions, lets hear them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts